Wide angle lens for d90?

tlra1984

Jan 4, 2012
Hi all, just would like to find out is it wise to use tokina 11-24mm? Given that d90 is a crop body of x1.5. When time to time I face difficulty in taking group photo shot in a tight space situation. I am more to landscape and outdoor portrait(full and half body) Btw I am using 18-105mm vr and 50mm afd 1.8d

it is not advisable to use ultra wide angle to take group photos, the people at the corner will be stretched, badly distorted, either have an alien head, faces as big as kitchen basin, arms larger then elephant trunk, they will wish they wasn't in the photos when they see that.

you should pack them as closer as possible, and using the widest focal length is only at the last resort.

it is not advisable to use ultra wide angle to take group photos, the people at the corner will be stretched, badly distorted, either have an alien head, faces as big as kitchen basin, arms larger then elephant trunk, they will wish they wasn't in the photos when they see that.

you should pack them as closer as possible, and using the widest focal length is only at the last resort.

Hi catchlights thanks for the input, but is there any difference if in ultra wide angle and wide angle lens? given all of the have already squeeze and stand side way but is always space constraint that i cannot move backwards anymore.

Last edited:
Hi catchlights thanks for the input, but is there any difference if in ultra wide angle and wide angle lens? given all of the have already squeeze and stand side way but is always space constraint that i cannot move backwards anymore.

If 18mm still not wide enough, that's a really big group in a really small space ;p

Sure you don't wanna do the shoot elsewhere more comfortable? ;)
Can use UWA lens of course (there's no Tokina 11-24 by the way), though the people at the sides may not be too happy with the outcome :)

ZerocoolAstra said:
If 18mm still not wide enough, that's a really big group in a really small space ;p

Sure you don't wanna do the shoot elsewhere more comfortable? ;)
Can use UWA lens of course (there's no Tokina 11-24 by the way), though the people at the sides may not be too happy with the outcome :)

Due to d90 is a crop body even kit lens18-105 the screen will be zoom in the range of 27-157. I understand the cons of a uwa and wa, but thinking is it worth to use a len that really scale to true 18mm range like AT-X 124 PRO DX II

Actually I find distortion on tokina 12-24 f/4 lens still somewhat 'acceptable', its not very bad. If u can use photoshot to 'correct' the distortion. Else shot soemwhere betweet 13 to 16mm?

GReddyZC76 said:
Actually I find distortion on tokina 12-24 f/4 lens still somewhat 'acceptable', its not very bad. If u can use photoshot to 'correct' the distortion. Else shot soemwhere betweet 13 to 16mm?

Hi greddy u mean use 13-16mm lens ?

tlra1984 said:
Due to d90 is a crop body even kit lens18-105 the screen will be zoom in the range of 27-157. I understand the cons of a uwa and wa, but thinking is it worth to use a len that really scale to true 18mm range like AT-X 124 PRO DX II

Yes I know D90 is a crop factor body :)
But 18mm on APS-C is already quite wide. You must either have a very big group or a terribly confined space. I guess u gotta go for the UWA then.

Is there any difference between 17-55 f/2.8 and 24-70 f/2.8 on a D90 crop body other than the focal range?

both have distortion, but the ultra wide angle is far too severe, it will make the people at the side, their body out of proportion . you still can take group photos with ultra wide angle but be warned the outcome may be not ideal.

I have 17-55 on DX body, and 24-70 on FX body, both lenses are having same field of view in their respective bodies, I hardly shoot group photos at the shortest focal length, always arrange and pack them to fit into the frame, either make group arrange into two or three rows or suggest a better place big enough before the group form up.

GReddyZC76 said:
My bad I meant u can use the tokina 12-24 f/4, but dun shoot @ 12mm:)

And there is the issue with vignette especially at f4 in less than bright sunshine.

Cowseye said:
I've done it before, but it's not easy as movement from one member can give you a hard time joining the panorama.

Sure. But correcting wide angle distortion on humans is worse if not impossible, no?

price different, size different, weight different, what are other differences you like to know?

Thanks, ya agreed that Pricing, Dimensions are also the differences.

In terms of picture quality output results, will there be any impact if using FX lens on DX body? Since DX lens is suitable for DX Body.

Thanks, ya agreed that Pricing, Dimensions are also the differences.

In terms of picture quality output results, will there be any impact if using FX lens on DX body? Since DX lens is suitable for DX Body.

Some people feel that using FX lens on DX body is good, because typically lenses are sharpest at the center, which is where the DX sensor is recording the image.
There is no 'impact' when using an FX lens on DX body, if talking purely about image quality.

catchlights said:
both have distortion, but the ultra wide angle is far too severe, it will make the people at the side, their body out of proportion . you still can take group photos with ultra wide angle but be warned the outcome may be not ideal.

I have 17-55 on DX body, and 24-70 on FX body, both lenses are having same field of view in their respective bodies, I hardly shoot group photos at the shortest focal length, always arrange and pack them to fit into the frame, either make group arrange into two or three rows or suggest a better place big enough before the group form up.

Hmm I think I should think twice before using a wide angle. Will try arranging in semi circle form. Btw abit off topic, I have been seeing ppl posting about tamron 18-50mm f2.8, but I don't see wat is so great compare to the kit 18-105 vr other then the f2.8