Wide Angle len for my FZ5

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawbean

May 28, 2005
s'pore
www.rawbean.com
hi,

i'm going for a russian trip and thought it will be nice to have a wide angle len ..any recommendations for travel photography use? and what kind of price shd i be look at ...

thanks in advance.

I thought the FZ5 has no capability to add any lens?
Only the FZ10 and FZ20 has it....?

FZ5 has a tube adapter to use the hood correct?
That tube adapter has a 55mm screw thread in front for 55mm filters.

The Olympus WCON07, 08 wide conversion lenses are both 55mm thread.

Please attempt a search with regards to wide conversion, tele conversion before posting a new thread. 10 Q

airconvent said:
I thought the FZ5 has no capability to add any lens?
Only the FZ10 and FZ20 has it....?
i think there's a vitacon 55mm wcon and telecon.
2 piece one, 1 of them can use for macro or something.

dun be so naive lar. I've mentioned I can use all the different filters etc b4 already. :p
i've also mentioned. FZ5 can do everything FZ20 can do except use external flash, manual focus, sharpness adjustment.
that everything includes using lens, though it's 62mm vs 55mm.

don't get the poor quality and wrongly speced vitacon converters. go for the Olympus variants, e.g. WCON07 or WCON08 for wide-angle and TCON17 for tele.

The vitacon might state 0.4x or 0.5x but in actual use is only ~0.8x and their 2x is actually ~1.3x, both degrading the images a lot.

Wow... the guru have spoken...

and one thing to add... Wcon07 have slightly more barrel distortion than 08...

ooohhh.. heh heh thanks.. i was juz thinking of getting a vitacon..
it's the time of the month when my IA pay comes in.. hand always very itchy..

mpenza said:
don't get the poor quality and wrongly speced vitacon converters. go for the Olympus variants, e.g. WCON07 or WCON08 for wide-angle and TCON17 for tele.

The vitacon might state 0.4x or 0.5x but in actual use is only ~0.8x and their 2x is actually ~1.3x, both degrading the images a lot.

So in other words, Vitacon sux?
Hmm.. I think WCON is expensive no?

I was also looking at filters, and the price varies so much

mpenza said:

I sold off my 62mm Vitacon 0.5X and a few shots with it.
Bought a WCON08..
Compare both, Vitacon is wider but image degrading on the size... :bigeyes:

I have tried both the olympus WCON-08 and TCON-17 with my old FZ3 (which I have sold due to upgrading), both of them works great with the existing tube supplied as they both have 55mm threads. So means that these 2 will work great with the FZ1 and new FZ5.

The WCON-07 will work fine too as it also have 55mm screw thread, but as mentioned by somebody, you get higher barrel distortion (more curvature in straight lines).

Generally, the optical quality of Olympus wide and tele convertors are very good considering their competitive price.

Any idea how much does a new WCON08 with 55mm thread cost?

huggable said:
Any idea how much does a new WCON08 with 55mm thread cost?

think around $180. I will suggest you buy used from B&S here, can get at least 30~40% off. people will post one for sale occassionally.

Kinda miss the pass few offers, will continue to keep a lookout!

mmm..is it really possible to add lens to the FZ5? how will the images look like?
I scanned through all the documentation for the FZ5 and they clearly state no external lens option...

huggable said:

Sometime got seller but they don't post it out for sale.
You might wanna post a Wanted thread.
I got mine thru posting a wanted thread.

airconvent said:
mmm..is it really possible to add lens to the FZ5? how will the images look like?
I scanned through all the documentation for the FZ5 and they clearly state no external lens option...

that is what they dun wan you to know.

really, that plastic tube for mounting the lens hood and 55mm filter will take any of the convertor lens mentioned above just fine and extend the capability of your FZ5, sometimes tremendously to good effect.

huggable said:

haha, now u got one more "competitor" which is me ... but i need to get it fast :(

I've just got back from my 2.5wk UK trip. Didn't managed to get the WCON08 in time for the trip, :angry: ! Found that most of the castles, and beaches I've visited actually requires a paranomic lens to capture their full glory. I ended up taking pivoting shots, don't have time to stitch them yet.

I'll gladly let you know of any good offers for the WCON08 if I come across, as I'm not in urgent need for one now...

Pg 102 of the FZ5 user manual actually mentioned that you can attach a MC protector, or ND filter to the FZ5. Of course they can't be attached concurrently, and you need to attach the lens hood adaptor prior to that.

tao said:
that is what they dun wan you to know.

really, that plastic tube for mounting the lens hood and 55mm filter will take any of the convertor lens mentioned above just fine and extend the capability of your FZ5, sometimes tremendously to good effect.

huggable said:
I've just got back from my 2.5wk UK trip. Didn't managed to get the WCON08 in time for the trip, :angry: ! Found that most of the castles, and beaches I've visited actually requires a paranomic lens to capture their full glory. I ended up taking pivoting shots, don't have time to stitch them yet.

I'll gladly let you know of any good offers for the WCON08 if I come across, as I'm not in urgent need for one now...

show us the photos :D

Status
Not open for further replies.