Wide Angle for FX

Actually I owned the 17-35mm f2.8-4 Tamron and 18-35G. I prefer the 18-35G and it's quite sharp, sold it because underutilized.

For best review, I normally wait for DD advice. Haha

I owned the 16-35, 18-35g, rented the nikon17-35/2.8. They all have their uses. I stuck to the 18-35 mainly for the size (I like to keep a wide lens in the bag when i travel, just in case)

And yes, DD's advice are words of wisdom and not just numbers :)

Hello friends I ended up buying the 20mm from ms color yesterday. Paid $910 for it. Overall the optics are great after some testing. I was a little disappointed with the build quality though. It felt plastic-ish like the 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G. On the flip side it was light-weight which is great for carrying around.

I own the sigma 15mm fisheye and think the build quality is great for a lens of that size. It would be great if the 20mm had that kind of robustness and weight. Regardless I will posted some sample images here and give a personal review soon after more testing.

Thanks all!

Hello friends I ended up buying the 20mm from ms color yesterday. Paid $910 for it. Overall the optics are great after some testing. I was a little disappointed with the build quality though. It felt plastic-ish like the 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G. On the flip side it was light-weight which is great for carrying around.

I own the sigma 15mm fisheye and think the build quality is great for a lens of that size. It would be great if the 20mm had that kind of robustness and weight. Regardless I will posted some sample images here and give a personal review soon after more testing.

Thanks all!

The f/1.8G lens series (28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm) are all of similar build. It may feel plastic-ish but its a good thing. I've the Sigma ARTs that are really solid build, but weigh a ton. And its not like you're going into a war zone with the lens :p

Enjoy the new lens and do post up shots on the 20mm thread :)

Thanks all!

Yeah, I saw it when it first landed.... decided not to get it.. last month bought the Zeiss 21mm for Nikon.

I have a feeling Nikon will release a pro build in a 18mm Prime for 2016. ;) ;)

The f/1.8G lens series (28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm) are all of similar build. It may feel plastic-ish but its a good thing. I've the Sigma ARTs that are really solid build, but weigh a ton. And its not like you're going into a war zone with the lens :p

Enjoy the new lens and do post up shots on the 20mm thread :)

Every day is a war zone in Singapore. :D

I use the 1635 on the D4 and I find it resolves very well, and give very good contrast and and colors. A good friend of mine also uses the same combo and he gets similar results as well. Could it be an issue with that specific copy you tried?

Seriously, I don't know, I have used the 18-35 gen1 before, it wasn't even close to what 18-35 could do back then. I mean I'm not the picky type, compare 16-35 vs 17-35 but I do have some expectations of decency on the quality. I really couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the 16-35 output on my D4.

Perhaps Nikon loaned me a pre-pre production set or something. It was really unbelievable that standard can pass Nikon QC if it's a production set.

Seriously, I don't know, I have used the 18-35 gen1 before, it wasn't even close to what 18-35 could do back then. I mean I'm not the picky type, compare 16-35 vs 17-35 but I do have some expectations of decency on the quality. I really couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the 16-35 output on my D4.

Perhaps Nikon loaned me a pre-pre production set or something. It was really unbelievable that standard can pass Nikon QC if it's a production set.

Well, you know how demo sets gets treat right? Anyway 16-35 is one of my most used lenses. I have delivered many paid shoots with it, as well as shot thousands of photos with it for my personal stuff. No complaints whatsoever. D4 is not exactly a very demanding camera body for lenses. I even used it on the D800e with great results.

I think the samyang 12mm fisheye is a good choice as compared to the sigma 15mm.

Well, you know how demo sets gets treat right? Anyway 16-35 is one of my most used lenses. I have delivered many paid shoots with it, as well as shot thousands of photos with it for my personal stuff. No complaints whatsoever. D4 is not exactly a very demanding camera body for lenses. I even used it on the D800e with great results.

Exactly, the D4 is a great performer even w the 24/120 f4. So I don't know why the 16-35 was sooo... nevermind. Getting naggy.

Maybe it was just bad set.

The 16-35mm f/4 VR is a great lens and its performance is very close to the 14-24mm f/2.8 with the added versatility to reach beyond 24mm and has VR that can be hand held for low light landscape shots.

The other option for UWA Nikon lens is the 18-35mm f/3.5-5.6G lens. Another great light weight lens that can deliver although it is not weather resistant as the golden band lenses