Wide Angle Focusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitroxgear

Aug 8, 2006
nitroxphotojourney.blogspot.com
Hello all!

Apart from the Point and Shoot camera shots, I am very new to photography(esp with the use of lens and filters).

I just got myself a Canon S3IS last week and had bought a 3rd party wide angle lens with the lens adaptor but found some difficulty getting good shots. Can some kind souls out there help me with 2 questions:-

1. Is it normal when I zoom out to see some dark edges, does that mean that I have to zoom in a little everytime to avoid this?

2. How to focus :)? I can get clear centre but out of focus sides where there is a curve.

1. it is vignetting...which is common for most wide angle converter on...jus zoom in abit...
2. mayb can try to stop down abit...

Thanks Dreamerz!:D

I read about vignetting but wasn't sure if what I encountered was it.

Err.. I have not figured out this stop down thing.

dreamerz said:
1. it is vignetting...which is common for most wide angle converter on...jus zoom in abit...
2. mayb can try to stop down abit...

Nitroxgear said:
Hello all!

Apart from the Point and Shoot camera shots, I am very new to photography(esp with the use of lens and filters).

I just got myself a Canon S3IS last week and had bought a 3rd party wide angle lens with the lens adaptor but found some difficulty getting good shots. Can some kind souls out there help me with 2 questions:-

1. Is it normal when I zoom out to see some dark edges, does that mean that I have to zoom in a little everytime to avoid this?

2. How to focus :)? I can get clear centre but out of focus sides where there is a curve.

actually if the wide angle cause vignetting without zooming, i would say its not very compatible with the camera. by zooming in you are not making full use of the wideness wide angle adapter give liao. ;)

as for 2nd question, what curve do you mean? distortion? :dunno:

After asking another shop, I was told that it may be that my lens adaptor is not compatible (it's a 3rd party one) that is why the "vignetting". I may try using the original Canon lens adaptor but will have to wait till I have the cash again ;)

For the second part, I guess you could say its the distortion caused by the curverture of the wide angle lens.

Thanks for the input Explorer.

ExplorerZ said:
actually if the wide angle cause vignetting without zooming, i would say its not very compatible with the camera. by zooming in you are not making full use of the wideness wide angle adapter give liao. ;)

as for 2nd question, what curve do you mean? distortion? :dunno:

Just be careful when you stop down, you might get a slow shutter speed (depending on the surrounding light), and when that happens, you should use a tripod.

Thanks for the heads up. Later will play around with it alittle. Hopfully tomorrow can snap a few good pics at the stadium.

hsks said:
Just be careful when you stop down, you might get a slow shutter speed (depending on the surrounding light), and when that happens, you should use a tripod.

Nitroxgear said:
After asking another shop, I was told that it may be that my lens adaptor is not compatible (it's a 3rd party one) that is why the "vignetting". I may try using the original Canon lens adaptor but will have to wait till I have the cash again ;)

For the second part, I guess you could say its the distortion caused by the curverture of the wide angle lens.

Thanks for the input Explorer.

if the curve is cause by distortion, i don think by stopping down the aperture would help... all you can do is to PS the distortion using lens correction in photoshop. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Looks like I have to get the software.

Anyway, I played around with all the advice and it helped a little but the main thing I found was that there was an extra ring on my adaptor which I took off and found that the it cleared the sides up :)

Again, thanks all!!

ExplorerZ said:
if the curve is cause by distortion, i don think by stopping down the aperture would help... all you can do is to PS the distortion using lens correction in photoshop. :thumbsup:

Nitroxgear said:

hi

Could you elaborate which 3rd party WA converter you are using and which model???

Cheers,

Swing

Nitroxgear said:
Anyway, I played around with all the advice and it helped a little but the main thing I found was that there was an extra ring on my adaptor which I took off and found that the it cleared the sides up :)

extra ring on the adaptor or converter?? i am a bit lost here...

I am using Emolux 0.45 WA converter and Emolux adaptor. I am using 58mm for both. As for the "extra" ring, it was on the adaptor. I belive there is use for it but I haven't figured it out :p Any suggestions?

swing123 said:
hi

Could you elaborate which 3rd party WA converter you are using and which model???

Cheers,

Swing

Status
Not open for further replies.