Why Your Camera Does Not Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm...it'll take sometime before anyone realise that...i too was once so particular abt my equipment and kept complaining abt my 'ugly' shots...until i learn abt rangefinders, then i realise that the equipment does not matter, it's the photog that matters...the camera is just a tool...and true enuff, once i changed my mantra that a cam is just a tool, i'm beginning to learn more abt what i shoot...learn to like/critic what i shoot and ppl are liking what i shoot too.

due to that, any cam will do...it's just how i want to take a photo.

khairi said:
hmm...it'll take sometime before anyone realise that...i too was once so particular abt my equipment and kept complaining abt my 'ugly' shots...until i learn abt rangefinders, then i realise that the equipment does not matter, it's the photog that matters...the camera is just a tool...and true enuff, once i changed my mantra that a cam is just a tool, i'm beginning to learn more abt what i shoot...learn to like/critic what i shoot and ppl are liking what i shoot too.

I agree wif you totally! :)

khairi said:

True, its the picture that counts! The use of different mediums give a different effect but essentially the physics of taking a picture is still the same! :)

Although the statement is true, it may be a little exaggerated. Try using a disposable camera to take pictures after sunset, or use a 50 mm to take telephoto pictures.

You need a decent level of equipment, but not equipment for everything.

shutterspeed said:
Although the statement is true, it may be a little exaggerated. Try using a disposable camera to take pictures after sunset, or use a 50 mm to take telephoto pictures.

You need a decent level of equipment, but not equipment for everything.

strike a balance, don't dwell too much on equipment. Develop your skills as an photographer.

In essence I agree. BUT...if you are shooting certain events then 'better' cameras will help. I took a LOT of sports shots recently with my D70 and now my wrist is fu**ed. Had pins and needles in my fingers for two days - this could've been avoided with a D2H and it's vertical grip. So I think camera does matter - and my fingers do too!

Snowcrash said:
strike a balance, don't dwell too much on equipment. Develop your skills as an photographer.

You strike the nail on the the head...you are one of the few who actually got what he meant. I dont always agree with what Ken Rockwell writes at his site but this is one of those issues I can relate to. What he meant is OVERKILL.

Phildate said:
In essence I agree. BUT...if you are shooting certain events then 'better' cameras will help. I took a LOT of sports shots recently with my D70 and now my wrist is fu**ed. Had pins and needles in my fingers for two days - this could've been avoided with a D2H and it's vertical grip. So I think camera does matter - and my fingers do too!

Sorry for asking but...why a D2H then? A D100 with a vertical grip could have done it for you if holding it so often in the vertical position was an issue. Plus the fact that the D100 is lighter so it is less of a strain on your wrist and arm even more. Unless there are other setting and adjustment you can only find on the D2H compared to the D70.

KenRockwell said:
Any camera that does not have 1/500 flash sync speed is NOT camera! I Love my D70 because it is the godsent of all cameras. It is superior to every other digital camera I've used under $4,000. The D70 is a true DSLR and far superior to all the new 8 megapixel fixed zoom lens cameras. Sorry if my directness shocks you!

Tounge in Cheek... ;p

khairi said:

well said... :)

A person might be rich enough to buy the best and latest ferrari F1 car and claim it to be the most technological and fastest car in the world to drive but if he does not have the skills like F1 Champion Shummi..he is just a car collector. Not a driver.

Anyone remember that Mercedes Ad with Mika Harkinen and Boris Becker where...Boris the tennis star challenge Mika in a track race. Boris was in the fast Formula one racing car while Mika ( the then world champion F1 driver) was in a Mercedes Saloon. And Mika won it over the F1 car. That is a good case in point.

Sorry for asking but...why a D2H then?

Oh, I meant D2X!! ;)

Phildate said:

read my sign below.... :) and did you get any 'good enough pictures for you' with your D70? if so, print it big to remind you of the event!

What a bunch of "c..p", "t...h", and "b.....t"!

Of course the equipment does matter!

Ask Summi to drive a hyundai excel and see if he could win the F1 - competing with the best out there - not with Boris! Boring! Notwithstanding Shummi's unequalled driving skills!

Ask a top eye surgeon to use an axe to see he could do a Lasix surgery for those of you crazy enough to want Lasix!

Bring a disposable camera and see if you could take a full frame shot of the lion in Kenya.

Don't be daft!! Of course the equipment does matter. The RIGHT EQUIPMENT FOR THE RIGHT JOB! of course you need the skills to use that piece of equipment. But no Shummi can win a F1 (remember - not against Boris - but against the best!) with a 20 BHP car! No eye surgeon can do fine surgery with an axe. And no great photographer can take a full face picture of a lion with a disposable camera while in the safari in the wild!! Not even Ken Rockwell! Period! End of argument!!!

What is being referred to is that "good pictures" can be taken with ANY CAMERA, within the limits of what that camera is designed for. If you use a rangefinder, don't aspire to take great macro shots. Take streets. If you use an axe, don't aspire to do fine surgery. Use the axe to uild a log cabin. If you drive an excel, don't expect to win F1. Aspire to bring your family for a nice weekend outing!

The equipment does matter. A LOT! Don't kid yourself that equipment does not matter. Don't give yourself the illusion! The right equipment for the right job! But if you have an el-cheapo "tanahmui/mutalingam/etcetc" camera, don't fret! Find out what that piece of equipment is made for, and then go out and make some good images with it!!

Power means nothing, without control.

Don't be extreme, compairisions like FM2 can take good picture as well as the F6.
Of course it will be easied to do it on a F6, but that is another point altogether.
Even prosumer camera can take good pictures, you just need to know your camera well.

Depends on what you do. and what you want.

More demanding kind of shots like sports or bird-shooting requires more of an equipment than say candid streets shots or casual family or travel shots.

It also has got to do with equipment envie. The latest cam with all the advanced features, lenses with AF-S/USM, IS/VR and so forth that makes many mouth-water. The chase for the best equipment is never-ending. That is why the BnS here is so ever so active.

Said numerous times, need the gear, but also the skills.

camera does not matter if using film because the camera body is nothing but a black box. But lens and film does matter. So why people pay for more expensive camera like Nikon F5 or Canon 1 series? more on robustness and convenience feature that you can live without to take better picture :p

But when shooting digital, camera does matter, because the sensor itself, to capture the image lies within the camera body.

Status
Not open for further replies.