Why you should not point your lense into the sun?

meop32

Oct 3, 2010
I was told that not to point my lense in to the sun.. but didnt really know why.. So does any one know the reason...??

1) Damage ur eyes
2) Damage the metering sensor
3) Damage the focusing screen
4) Damage the sensor

Will damage your eyes as well as the camera sensor... :cool:

Thx.. So does it not only damage the lens even the dslr would be damage too.. am i right to say that..??

Yes, the heat build up can be quite immense, degrading some of the more delicate components in the lens and body.

Do remember that lens coating is applied to help light transmission into it ...

I was told that not to point my lense in to the sun.. but didnt really know why.. So does any one know the reason...??
Do you remember the special kind if film they gave in Science center in preparation of the Sun solstice? It was as protection for the eyes of people who wanted to watch the event. It doesn't matter whether human eye or camera: never point it to the sun without protection. It does not apply to times of sunset and sunrise. Here the intensity of the sun is lower and most people will use additional filters (GND, ND) anyway.

Thousand Oaks solar filter. Blocks out 99% of the light and infrared radiation and u can see the little dot of the sun.

Do note that we're talking about noontime here... If it's for sunrise/sunset don't worry.

damage your eyes. I wont worry about the camera. You get buy a new one if it spoils. Once the eyes get damaged there is no repair ...

u can point at the sun if u really need to, but not mid day sun when its really harsh and hot.

Early morning sun or late evening should be okay when the sun rays are soft. Brief moments of course, not point for 10 minutes.

Agreed... no strong sun is worth looking at.... at the risk of loosing/damaging your eye-sight. If I want to risk damaging the sensor on the camera, I'd shield the sun with my hand before I look into the VF first... Compose, then quickly shoot the scene and move the cam away.

Given the shapes of the lens elements, I think lenses are like magnifying glasses, and you know what magnifying glasses can do...

When there is thick haze, then very likely it is safe to look at it... Recently, due to the haze from Indonesian bush fires, the usually strong sun looked like a big 'ol egg yolk high in the sky...

for those who like shooting portraits against sunlight, what's suggested precaution to take?

for those who like shooting portraits against sunlight, what's suggested precaution to take?
Unless you try a portrait at mid day from bottom up against the sun there's not much precaution required. As mentioned: low sun during sunset / sunrise is no problem.