Why you do not want to ride a bicycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

forward

May 27, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
One billion people ride the bicycle everyday.
So who are those who do not want to ride a bicycle because of fear of the traffic?

It is time for the photographic community to consider helping our country to go green by riding the bicycle.

The request from the cycling community to have more cycling paths and parking lots at various shopping malls and MRT stations are being met with immediate approval by the authorities concerned.

How many of you out there are already riding a bike regularly such as:

1. Daily riding to work

2. Daily for at least half an hour

3. Twice a week during weekends

4. Three times a week an hour before going to work in the morning

5. Three times a week after office hours

6. Other schedules, please give details...

The benefits of regular exercise such as cycling is often underestimated.
This form of low impact exercise is not only fuel-efficient to get you around, it helps you to become to look younger and save more cash in your pocket during this recession period.

Lets have your opinion and salute our government for taking the people's opinion on making our island a cycling city of the future.
More info in today's Straits Times Home Page (5th Nov, 2008)
"LTA hopes to get private vendors to operate an islandwide bicycle rental system."

What's your views on the above?

:thumbsup::):heart:

Last edited:
i am cycling within my estate for errands. it is practical compared to waiting for shuttle buses and having to walk at its ends. economical as well. cents count!

I don't ride a bike because I can't shoot and pedal at the same time like what I've seen arobats do in the circus. Maybe I should try to learn it by balancing on the bike with a long bamboo pole first.

Eh, something to do with not constantly applying pressure on one banana and two grapes? =X

Eh, something to do with not constantly applying pressure on one banana and two grapes? =X

Chop em off and feed it to the monkeys! Problem solved. :bsmilie:

I don't ride a bike because I can't shoot and pedal at the same time like what I've seen arobats do in the circus. Maybe I should try to learn it by balancing on the bike with a long bamboo pole first.

What you need is one of these, solves both problems -
pict8838s.jpg

No pressure on those sensitive bits, no need to balance and you can drive with one hand and operate the camera with the other as the steering is so light.

(Actually if a bicycle is putting pressure on those sensitive bits, it's set up wrong.)

I often ride with my camera around my neck and take photos while riding
See
http://www.sleeper.apana.org.au/photos/Cycling/2008_Sydney-to-Gong/

Most people won't ride one of these 'cause they think they will look funny :)

(And they are significantly more expensive than your basic ordinary two wheeler).

I do not ride because it is too far

This is another good example of fear, "too far"!

A friend from Malaysia was laughing when he heard the same story about riding from
east to west or north to south in this tiny island of Singapore is too far.

Many of the foreign workers staying in Yishun are riding to work in the city area. The
distance to and fro is more than 40 kilometers. They started out early in the morning at
about six. It is simple if you just make some adjustment to your thinking. :think:

I would like to bike to work very much. But there is no secure/safe place to park the bike, that's the main problem.

I would like to bike to work very much. But there is no secure/safe place to park the bike, that's the main problem.

Perhaps many would be cyclists face the same problem. There isn't any parking lots for
our bicycles either at shopping malls or even at our work place.

Here is how I solve this problem.

1. Went to Suntec City to get a 26" MTB that cost around $60 to $70.
They even offer to do the delivery which they did.

2. Have the inner tube and tires changed for a more comfortable ride.

3. Three to four months later, with the money that I saved from riding, I spent it on a new set of Shimano gear shifter that allows me to shift the gears more easily.

4. I got myself a shackle lock with a chain plus an additional robust lock to lock the bike to any lamp post or strong device so that potential thieves cannot so easily take the bike away. Then lock the back or front wheel to the frame.

5. Best is not to show that it is an expensive bike. Even with a cheap bike, the Shimano gear shift cost me more than forty bucks. So I hide it with ropes, plastic nylon strings and pieces of plastic. The idea is to make the bike looks old and torn down.

6. Even if you have to walk some distance away from the destination to lock your bike, do it. At the Jalan Besar area I cannot find any place to park my bike. I finally found one three or four streets away and then lock it properly next to a lamp post. How I wish there are parking lots for bicycles in the near future in all these areas.

7. Keep your expensive bike for other leisure riding with your riding buddies.
Use this cheapo bike to ride to work daily. Some of my friends even paint the whole bike matt black so as to make the bike looks cheap and torn down.

Many new comers to bike riding often loose their bikes to bike thieves because they do not know how to secure their bikes properly. You can find solutions by googling or visit the following local bike community.

:)

Last edited:
A few years back I used to ride bicycle from MRT station to my work place. That bicycle was an old bicycle given to me by my friend.

I went for 2 weeks in camp training and the bicycle was secured with chain parked at the MRT station, came back it was gone ... :angry:

I used to cycle alot, both on and off road. Now I don't cycle on road coz there are too many idiotic or drunk drivers who try to run you over, and what do they get after that? Ban from driving and a fine. What about the poor cyclist? He can enjoy lying under the ground in his nice coffin...:confused:

i'd wanna try commuting to work in the near future, i was half serious about getting a foldable bike once.

hmmm... just curious... sg so hot and humid... how do you guys solve the problem of biking to work getting all sweaty? over here, I bike to work but then my company have shower facilities so i just go to work early, take a shower, then work...:angel: but then if i remember correctly most places in sg have no shower facilities right?

Mentioning about folding bikes, I get furious. :angry:

light%20blue-01-b.jpg

I used to own one of those Strida folding bikes (as shown above). I rode on it for 3 weeks and the welding broke. The supporting bar gave way and almost kenna my family jewels. Lucky, I jump off the bike fast enough and 'siam' being bang in the nuts. Phew.... :sweat:

Now, I refuse to ride any bike; be it folding or non-folding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.