Why would a pro give a 300+MB TIFF photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benedium

Jun 19, 2004
www.photo.net
Hi, Just wanna ask the pros here why a photographer would give a client a 300+ MB TIFF file per picture? It is not DIed and looks like a simple shot taken by a Nikon D1x. It takes forever to open and preview... thank god windows xp provides a thumbnail image of the file in the folder.

does he charge by the nos of CDs he passes to the client?

benedium said:
Hi, Just wanna ask the pros here why a photographer would give a client a 300+ MB TIFF file per picture? It is not DIed and looks like a simple shot taken by a Nikon D1x. It takes forever to open and preview... thank god windows xp provides a thumbnail image of the file in the folder.

the client would rather prefer a 300kb jpg??

Oh i found out that he was instructed to provide an A1 size photo to use for blowing up.
But with a nikon D1x how does he do that? i checked the file through windowsxp and it says its got 24bit depth and is 12000+ by 8000+ pixels and is 300dpi. How do you increase size of photo to huge proportions without killing the quality? Anything we can do in photoshop?
On my original note, i guess he should have also provided smaller jpegs as well so that my art director can view it faster.

some algorithms could increase pixel count while reducing the impact on quality. photoshop might not be able to achieve it without additional plugins.

Stair up-ressing lor. Just upsample the res in 10% increments and repeat till you get your desired print size. You reduce the impact of pixellation, the pic just looks blurrer as if shot with a soft lens. If it's really shot with a D1X and blown till 3m by 2m, it won't look good. You can see such prints in shopping centres and shops, some are significantly better than others.

Other apps, maybe it could be a scan from 120 film. Each image easily over several tens of meg even if it's a simple scan into jpg.....depends on your app, the scanner's capability and how much you willing to pay. :)

you'll be amazed on what interpolation can do!

benedium said:
Oh i found out that he was instructed to provide an A1 size photo to use for blowing up.
But with a nikon D1x how does he do that? i checked the file through windowsxp and it says its got 24bit depth and is 12000+ by 8000+ pixels and is 300dpi. How do you increase size of photo to huge proportions without killing the quality? Anything we can do in photoshop?
On my original note, i guess he should have also provided smaller jpegs as well so that my art director can view it faster.
:bsmilie:
Ben, not everyone has any cow sense, y'know. Personally, I'd always provide a tinier jpeg image. But then again, there are nutcases on the production side who want A0-sized photo images at 300Kb and below. In TIFF, mind you. Email me to chat more if you want. ;)

I have produced 24 inch x 36 inch prints from 6MP jpeg files...and they all look great.

Just upsize 10% in PS until you get the size you want. For every three 10% upsize, I also apply a 50% Unsharp Mask. That help reduce the softness. You have to play by ears on this. Some prefer to upsize 10% for 4 times before applying USM. You have to see which works better for you.

Also you will need 200-300 dpi for such enlargements though a lab said 100dpi would be sufficient.

You can still see pixelation looking at the pix 6 inches away. But an enlargement is not meant to be viewed from such proximity. Still, a 6MP enlargement still beats enlargement of the same size from a 35mm negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.