Why when filming cannot use flash???

Status
Not open for further replies.

compro_1975

Apr 24, 2005
why when fliming can not use flash???

because when you are filming using film format. Its actually film exposures running at various speeds depending on what is the shot like. examples are 25 frames per second which is the speed at which the human eye sees montion. Lights and all have been adjusted and basically subject has been properly lighted. Hence you see gaffer and camera man going foward constantly with light meters to take readings. When you flash, what happens is you disrupt the entire setup. For example maybe shutter speed was 1.25, f stop 2.6 after you flashed... the shot became too bright... and the camera fstop was still at 2.6 and hence u get a over exposured frame.... and the whole shot cant be used....

Hope it explains what you are want to know.

Because when filming, you need constant light source and using flash will only give short bursts of light so your shot will look like the firing range at night? :dunno:

Because the flash need to strobe the entire film you take. Say 1 min movie, that strobe your flash for 1 min continuesly. You also need to synchronize between flash strobe and film speed.

And flash have limited time of flash before the flash's tube become too hot and burst.

Regards,
Arto.

Who says cannot use flash?

I used it once to simulate lightning for a budget video I was working on. Oil drums produce very good sound to accompany.

I think threadstarter to be be more specific in what he means. If he means why when setup has been done for filming.And some passerby or someone takes a camera and takes a photo with flash. That one is a no no. Will get F*** by camera man. Or does he mean to use flash for filming purposes.

centuryegg said:
I think threadstarter to be be more specific in what he means. If he means why when setup has been done for filming.And some passerby or someone takes a camera and takes a photo with flash. That one is a no no. Will get F*** by camera man. Or does he mean to use flash for filming purposes.

This is assuming he's talking about flash photography near a film set.

No flash photography is allowed on set, or even within 30 meters of it, especially if the location is a open-walled area and furthermore, stills photographers are told to sound-proof their cameras while doing motion stills in the same frame as the DOP.

AF lights are out of course, because they will interfere with the filming.MF is the way to go.

solarii said:
Who says cannot use flash?

I used it once to simulate lightning for a budget video I was working on. Oil drums produce very good sound to accompany.

Remind me of the old Cantonese movie, the effect which they used to portray bad thing going to happen to a innocent girl. (like she being raped) :bsmilie:

btw, what rated budget video were you filming? :p

centuryegg said:

no i had not kana bef, i veri good boy. memembered last years WCG, the mediacock ppl say dun use, but i guy used, everybody buay song.........

compro_1975 said:
no i had not kana bef, i veri good boy. memembered last years WCG, the mediacock ppl say dun use, but i guy used, everybody buay song.........
har? using flash while people do filming?
hahahahhahhaha, what a joker, isn't the same like a non actor walk into the scene?
of course what, use brain lar, lucky never kena humtum.
hahahhah

catchlights said:
har? using flash while people do filming?
hahahahhahhaha, what a joker, isn't the same like a non actor walk into the scene?
of course what, use brain lar, lucky never kena humtum.
hahahhah
Hehehe....

Try to ring your handphone while people do filming with direct sound recording :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

compro_1975 said:

He was lucky no *$^(#@ came out from the crew..... Singapore Crew are more tame.... and civilised... will just shake their head and deep inside say "STUPID IDIOT!!!!" Foriegn crew which I have seen before... DOP will screw the fellow.... and if that fellow is part of the production team... sure kanna big time..... Mostly those who kanna are newbies who want to take photo to show friends that they worked at the set with some actor or actress or the artiste managers who forget to set their camera to no flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.