Why use ISO 200 over ISO 100?

TroyP

Dec 23, 2008
For a full sunlight portrait image, what's the need for using ISO 200 instead of ISO 100?

Here's the exif data on a pic I just saw of a model shot in outdoor.

Camera Info
Device: Nikon D300
Lens: VR 70-200mm F/2.8G
Focal Length: 135mm
Focus Mode: AF-S
AF-Area Mode: Single
Aperture: F/2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/1250s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: -0.7EV
Metering: Spot
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 200
White Balance: Auto, 0, 0
Color Space: Adobe RGB

If using ISO 100 for this shot, it would halve the shutter speed to 1/625s which is not a problem, so why not use ISO 100 in this case? Anything i'm not seeing here?

The ISO 100 on the D300 is a "fake" or push ISO. Google it for more details

For a full sunlight portrait image, what's the need for using ISO 200 instead of ISO 100?

Here's the exif data on a pic I just saw of a model shot in outdoor.

Camera Info
Device: Nikon D300
Lens: VR 70-200mm F/2.8G
Focal Length: 135mm
Focus Mode: AF-S
AF-Area Mode: Single
Aperture: F/2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/1250s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: -0.7EV
Metering: Spot
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 200
White Balance: Auto, 0, 0
Color Space: Adobe RGB

If using ISO 100 for this shot, it would halve the shutter speed to 1/625s which is not a problem, so why not use ISO 100 in this case? Anything i'm not seeing here?

err... where is the pic?

Does D300 have ISO 100? (sorry not a nikon user, but some cam really don't have ISO100, and sometimes their ISO100 is worse than ISO200 in terms of noise.)

think the d300's base iso is 200, not 100.

Not a Nikon user also...maybe that is the reason. No ISO 100.

Again if my SLR have good control of ISO noise till 1600 i will use 400-800 for a in good light condition when shoot 'action' shot for 'freeze' effect.

Not a Nikon user also...maybe that is the reason. No ISO 100.

Again if my SLR have good control of ISO noise till 1600 i will use 400-800 for a in good light condition when shoot 'action' shot for 'freeze' effect.

depends... on the type of shots. my camera sucks anything beyond 400... hence only 100,200,400 for me...

Like I said, it's for a full sunlight portrait pic, no moving subject.
I'm actually using Nikon D90 which has ISO 100 (aka Lo 1).
Basically I want to know if there's any advantage of using ISO 200 over ISO 100, other than to use faster shutter speed.

Basically I want to know if there's any advantage of using ISO 200 over ISO 100, other than to use faster shutter speed.
the base ISO is 200, however user can set to Lo 0.3, Lo 0.7 or Lo 1.
since the shutter speed has not max out, there is no reason to use Lo ISO setting.

if its like previously said 'push'ed instead of actual, then no point, a faster shutter speed is better than slower shutter speed.

The only point using ISO 100 over ISO 200 is to retain the blacks or details if your system is able to reap from it.

from his exif, i think he shot -0.7ev, so the shutter speed will be definitely faster than usual compared to people using 0ev. and using a 70-200, its best to increase shutter speed than actually using something slow, with bad holding techniques it will be more prone to handshake than your 50mm. 1/200 is just a guide. and VR doesn't really help much if he is extremely nervous and almost nose bleeding to his death.

basically, if you understand what base isos are... and what is done to achieve something lower than base iso........ then you will realise very quickly that by not using base iso, you chance clipping the highlights.

even canon will tell you that officiallly with their 5d:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=268

basically, iso 100 is shot with iso 200, then the camera dials it down..

Last edited:

the base iso of a D300 is the same as D90, i.e. ISO 200.

according to Dpreview HERE (scroll to "ISO Sensitivity and Dynamic Range"), D90 at Lo1 (iso 100 equiv.) will have about one stop less dynamic range at the highlight region, which is what you'd expect from what is essentially an ISO 200 image overexposed by a stop.

therefore the lowest ever iso i will use on a D90 is ISO200.

for D300 (link HERE), at ISO Lo1, you will also lose about 0.7 stops dynamic range in the highlight region than that of iso 200, therefore i also see no point of using ISO Lo 1 on a D300.

HTH. :)

Last edited:
Yeah i've seen some cameras that have ISO 50.

Ok, I see your logic with 200mm shot, better to use higher ISO.
I think i'll stick to ISO 200 from now on, thanks :)

Referring to Thom Hogan Guide; D300 LO 0.3 , LO 0.7 and LO 1.0 are equivalent to ISO 100, 125 and 160. These so-called non numbered ISO values warn you that some aspect of image quality will be compromised. LO values will compromise for highlights (highlight data will get clip for high contrast scene). OK for low contrast scenes but bad for high contrast scenes.

The base ISO value for any camera is where it gets the most dynamic range, least noise, and highest IQ.