Why traditional PSes like PSS alway only know how to setup such "typical scene"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhoufang

Jan 19, 2002
Jurong
Visit site
Why traditional PSes like PSS alway only know how to setup such "typical scene"?

-very old man smocking
-topless Kongfu master kicking watermelon
-young girl putting props (eg mini plastic fruit model) on head and post act cute.
-now this girl in tradional costume (also act cute)

all setup are so fake that I cannot teh han.

I think they really need to seek for some breakthroughs.

Split from Studio Portrait (Kachin Lady) (Part 2) by kssim

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10220

Originally posted by zhoufang

-very old man smocking
-young girl putting props (eg mini plastic fruit model) on head and post act cute.

If you want to start a flame war, start in your own thread, please do not post in other peoples post.

-very old man smocking

If you are a member of PSS and not happy with the studio sessions that they set up, I suggest that you voice your complaints directly to PSS.

If you are not a member of PSS but still don't like the the pictures posted here that are taken at PSS studio sessions, I suggest that you direct your constructive comments to the particular picture/s posted, instead of criticising PSS here.

I think starting a debate about PSS's studio setup here is meaningless.

ZhouFang........PSS does organise "posed" photoshoot sessions. However, u have the option not to attend. U will get beautiful shots from these sessions but so will the other attendees.For me.......doesn't suit my shooting style so I dun go to these sessions.

ok, just my own point of view about this kind of photography,

1) you won't learn much

2) it is devoid of cretivity

3) does not prepare you for the real world of photography.... ok... maybe it will help for studio shots

4) somehow... does not seems like photography to me... it is like a gathering of people to play around with equipments

5) but still.... I think there is a place for "mock up" photo shoots, I've seen some in magazines and they are creatively set up, the ones from PSS seems behind time

rgs
rueyloon

Just a sidetrack... Quite agree with Ruey Loon abt the parts on not learning much and simply gathering of pple.

Yeah, I've attended a couple of studio portraitures organized by Safra also. Still noticed pple in general like to discuss more about equipment than the intricacies of lighting and posing. Many are interested in talking aobut the lenses they own, the MFs they intend to buy, etc etc. Not that this is wrong but they overdo it. So every time, it's just bringing the model down, the instructor sets up the lighting, shoot shoot shoot week after week, then u pick the best few for judging.

We are still far from the standard serious portraiture course organized in the US. I was really impressed with the enthusiam, fun but seriousness of some of the classes over there...

I personally would prefer to be able to interact with the person I am photographing. I have never had a chance to work with professional models; the people I photographed are usually friends or relatives, and at most friend of a friend whom I have only met once or twice before the shooting session. It is thus important for me to ensure that the person I am photographing is comfortable, relaxed and natural.

I have commented in kssim's earlier threads that I would not enjoy the PSS type of studio sessions. However, I do recognise that one man's meat could be another man's poison. It is very much a matter of preference.

Simple, these are known as Salon-stype photography, where they set up everything to perfection. Typical traits were those you mentioned, with optional black background fill with smoke, and light streaming in at 45°. ;)

Like RL said, you probably won't learn much, as everything's pre-setup. Right down to the lighting, etc. They even tell you what aperture to use. The only control you have now is how to pose the model.

Regards
CK

hello all,

wow i register juz to post this replay ah... (usually a lurker guest)

anyway, couldn't help it. you all seem to dislike this form of photography, when actually i see quite a few clubsnapper attending such shoots.

just thought i would say that it is a valid form of photography with quite a bit of history. and although i must say that sometimes it is very frustrating that you cannot do anything abt the scene because it is set up, it is also a plus because you find ways of somehow making your shot "original". you oso learn wat! you find an angle that everyone else not taking. you experiment with diff settings, you consider how to improve on the set up scene using your creativity, and your equipment.

i am very new to photography, and although i also take some other shots like nature, street and travel, salon will also be something that interests me. studio shots as well (which is why i am tryng to build my own home studio...)

here is an interesting article on salon photography which i think all must read...

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/opinion/html/salon.htm

sorry for such a newbish post... but it just seems like everynoe disrespecting this form of photography.

attend the studio session must pay $$, right?

a person attending such gatherings can always cross-check whether he's learning anything by asking this question:

(1) Is the best photograph I've taken from a PSS outing or something I did all by myself?

If its from a PSS outing, then you haven't learnt anything, because learning implies moving forward and improving on what you've done before.

This is not a comment on anyone's photographic ability, since I've no idea what your answer is :)

Hi Zhoufang...

I guess I would really need to clarify some facts here. Hope that you will take it in a positive light and that I'm not trying to start some flame war here..

First of all, I believe you have probably mixed up clubs between PSS and Photo-Art... While I have been a member at PSS for less than a year, I have not quite seen any 'typical' setup of stuffs like old man smoking, young girl with plastic fruit, etc etc (i.e. salon type photos). Before choosing the club to join, I have noticed a lot of the above type of shots in Photo-Art and it too, isn't my cup of tea..

So far in PSS, the studio lighting are set-up by them. And since that it's a studio shoot, each photographer will take his/her turn to shoot. The posing is therefore suggested by the photographers themselves (or to leave it up to the model to pose). As for outdoor shoots, it is often up to the photographer to get his/her own angle and settings. Therefore, there can probably be a drastic differences in the quality of the photo between the photographers for the same scenario. However, that can often be improved upon with time and experience. PSS also does conduct weekly photo workshops where members can have their photos commented upon and hence learning through the process.

While I agree that their practice is not totally perfect, but it nevertheless, is doing it's part in promoting photography in Singapore. With regards to the portraits, it does offer photographer who does not have access to their own models/friends who are willing to pose for them, a chance to practice their skills in taking portraiture shots.

Lastly, with regards to the 'very fake' setups, I must comment that the set-up aren't quite to the extreme where some other clubs are currently adopting. I certainly also dislike posed shots such as the types with the old man smoking. In the case of the Kachin Lady shots that I have recently taken, the lady is indeed from Myanma and I've overheard that she's studying in one of the polytechnic here. Having look up the web, it is also confirmed that the costume is indeed the traditional costume from the Kachin state in Myanma. As for the poses, quite a number of the poses that I've posted in the forums are requested by myself and is in not part directed by PSS. The rest of them are poses put up by the model herself.

Hope that you do not feel offended by the very long post above. Everyone is encouraged to speak their minds and the above is just my thoughts on the issue. Meanwhile, happy shooting! :)

KS

-very old man smocking

Okay okay okay. I've only looked at this thread today, and I think I'm doing so from a third party standpoint. I believe Zhoufang has a point, but certainly the way in which he made it was not very respectful and certainly far from ideal. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a troll, but at the same time I can see why Simon would get wound up because he has taken a lot of those shots Zhoufang mentions and it can certainly be viewed as a personal attack.

But like I said, in theory I'm behind the point Zhoufang is trying to make. As to those who defend this style of photography, and say that you're learning from the shoot, what I have to ask it, could you get the same shots all by yourself? If you answer in the positive, then you don't need to go to those places to learn. And if you answer in the negative, then well you're not learning anything. Okay so I'm playing around with logic, but you get my drift.

I've shot with Photo-Art before. While I admit the model shoot and poses are a tad cliched, but I think people do learn in these sessions, much more than what people give credit for.

It's not as simple as going into the shoot (both indoors and outdoors), following the instructions and then just getting a perfect shot because you were coached. It doesn't work that way. There's the finding of an angle, the whole idea of looking for a unique compostion, that'll distinguish itself from the rest. Whether if it's only you shooting the model, or forty others, it's still the same principle. It doesn't make a difference if you have organised a one on one shoot with your friend, get comfortable with him/her (mostly her... since getting pretty models seems to be what men can only think of) and yet shoot incredibly mundane shots which any person can shoot given a PHD camera.

There's also the setting up of a shot which people tend to overlook. The reflectors, where to position the reflectors, where to position the lights (if any). How about the background? The logistics? The administration part of actually organising a proper shoot for yourself or for a small group.

I think people often go in and expect everything to happen, and just learn about photography only. But more often than not, it's not just the photography that's important. It's also the learning of the methods that goes into setting up a "perfect" shot which can be replicated elsewhere, even in your own photoshoots.

Lastly, if you really want to effect a change, why not volunteer and make your views heard by the society concerned? I'm sure they'll be more than happy to have new blood and new ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.