Why there is double image when shooting moon ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerahteo

Jul 1, 2008
Noticed it was full moon tonight and decided to take a shot of the moon, but strangely I saw double image when I zoom in to 200mm using my Sigma Tele lens. I also tried with my Canon 450D kits len it also show the same problem.

I shoot in bulb mode @ F22 , set to landscape mode.

Can somebody explain to me why I see two moon , thank you.

Taken with Canon kit lens @ 55mm zoom level
2673726571_e28e02cddf.jpg

Taken with my Sigma 18-200 lens and @ 200 zoom level.
2674546354_0e34af9cb2.jpg

Sun & Moon?! :bigeyes:
I am kidding. I don't know also.

Sun & Moon?! :bigeyes:
I am kidding. I don't know also.

When I don;t zoom I will not see two images only one white dot but when I zoom in to 200mm or 55mm then this strange thing happen.

I am not kidding really happen to me.

Looks like internal reflection. Small aperture used, so the image of the reflected moon is quite sharp.

Were you using a filter? It's probably not a multi-coated one, I'm guessing.

Looks like internal reflection. Small aperture used, so the image of the reflected moon is quite sharp.

Were you using a filter? It's probably not a multi-coated one, I'm guessing.

Hmm may be that could be the reason why , ok thanks will try again another day.

Dont wait another day!
Its almost full moon tonight!
Funny, I dont use bulb mode ever, in fact high shutter speed for my moon shots, at 300mm zoom.

how long did you have the shutter open for? normally, you'd like to keep shutter speeds of 100-125 for taking photos of moon :)

how long did you have the shutter open for? normally, you'd like to keep shutter speeds of 100-125 for taking photos of moon :)

To be clearer: shutter speeds of 1/100s - 1/125s :) Not 100-125s.

2595866972_937c1cf23a.jpg

Camera: Nikon D40
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 300 mm [SIGMA 70-300mm]
ISO Speed: 400

2642371306_dc251d1c07.jpg

Exposure: 0.025 sec (1/40)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 300 mm

Pardon me TS, I'm here to share mine. Hope it helps!

Taken less than 5 minutes ago. You don't need bulb. This is at f/8, shutter 1/80s. But I use tripod, just to be safe.
By the way, it's not full moon yet as you can see.

Moon-17-July-2008.jpg

I tried mine too based from chegu thamrin, just don't know how to paste:embrass:.
Should try fast shutter at 1/320 A at 2.7 , zoom at 15X (about 400mm) on H9.
Moon is rahter luminous, so a longer shutter time will overexpouse.
Coming back to your question I don't know why double take.

I tried mine too based from chegu thamrin, just don't know how to paste:embrass:.
Should try fast shutter at 1/320 A at 2.7 , zoom at 15X (about 400mm) on H9.
Moon is rahter luminous, so a longer shutter time will overexpouse.
Coming back to your question I don't know why double take.

Not paste.. link from gallery ;)

When I don;t zoom I will not see two images only one white dot but when I zoom in to 200mm or 55mm then this strange thing happen.

I am not kidding really happen to me.

I'm pretty sure its lens flare...cause when you're at 200mm or 55mm, the lens structure inside results in obvious flaring if you're pointing your lens directly at the bright object. Similar to "sun flares" when you shoot directly at the sun, cause the moon is bright, it results in this effect. When you aim perfectly straight at it, you might not see the additional image, but once tilted slightly, you can see how the additional image shifts in position. This usually happens on lenses which have poorer lens coating or because of the filter used.

I'm pretty sure its lens flare...cause when you're at 200mm or 55mm, the lens structure inside results in obvious flaring if you're pointing your lens directly at the bright object. Similar to "sun flares" when you shoot directly at the sun, cause the moon is bright, it results in this effect. When you aim perfectly straight at it, you might not see the additional image, but once tilted slightly, you can see how the additional image shifts in position. This usually happens on lenses which have poorer lens coating or because of the filter used.

Yes I am using a cheapo monolux UV filter will try to remove it and see if it help.

But how are we going to get a sharp focus if we don't shoot straight at the moon. Also for metering what option should you use? Spot , Centre or partial metering.

Hope you all pro can give some advice. Very impressed that the texture of the moon can be captured with a DSLR camera.

Most of the Tele lens posted here is either 300 or 400 mm so if mine is only 300mm will I be able to capture similar details as posted sample here.

Yes I am using a cheapo monolux UV filter will try to remove it and see if it help.

But how are we going to get a sharp focus if we don't shoot straight at the moon. Also for metering what option should you use? Spot , Centre or partial metering.

Hope you all pro can give some advice. Very impressed that the texture of the moon can be captured with a DSLR camera.

Most of the Tele lens posted here is either 300 or 400 mm so if mine is only 300mm will I be able to capture similar details as posted sample here.

For me, I use spot metering and shoot straight at the moon. I think tkbonz meant to shoot straight at it, not at a slight angle.

Pai seh... mine is not DSLR... mine is P&S only :sweat:

Just like to ask something else.
Is there a way to take a photo of the "SUN" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.