why the zoom for compact hardly leave 3X???

Status
Not open for further replies.

compro_1975

Apr 24, 2005
there is onli 2 i know in the market with 10X opitical zoom(compact size), why is it so??? why the zoom do not grow when the maga-pix grow???

The bigger the optical zoom usually the less compact and portable it is, consumers tend to want small slim camera's and 3X is usually gd enough. An increase in mega pixels does not neccessarily make the size of the camera bigger, hence it just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

generally, ppl who go for compact p&s does not need very much zoom in my opinion. they usually use the cams for snapshots :)

what i see is that DSLR lens also very commonly made around 3-4x like 17-40, 28-105, 28-105, 16-35, 70-300, 70-200,... and just a few at 18-200
maybe long zoom range is not good for either compact or DSLR

htthach said:
what i see is that DSLR lens also very commonly made around 3-4x like 17-40, 28-105, 28-105, 16-35, 70-300, 70-200,... and just a few at 18-200

there are quite a few lenses like 80-400 and 50-500

but still dun think they are as commonly used as those with small range but better quality i think

htthach said:
but still dun think they are as commonly used as those with small range but better quality i think

I think your right, if iam not completly wrong, the longer the zoom range, then more pieces of glass are used, which degrades quality and causes things like CA to become more common

more elements will cause vignetting and etc.

anyway, i think we cant have the best of both world. compact and zoom.

zooming too far out, will also cos shaking... without a tripod or somewhere to place, i dont think can take non-shaky photos.

if i am using a compact, likely i wont want a tripod everywhere i go right?

yeah if i want a compact, ill probably want it pocket sized or something pretty small :D and no tripod pls hahaha

htthach said:
I like to own those 2x zooms like 12-24 or 10-20.
Lenses that cannot zoom also I like, examlpe: 300/2.8 or 600/4..:embrass:

General rule of thumb is that the longer the zoom range, the harder it is (and more expensive) to produce a good quality lens. That is why the best quality lenses are usually the primes. ;)

modern day zooms are pretty good though due to advances in design and manufacturing techniques.

Optical zoom in compact cameras is related to the lens focal length vis=a-vis the image sensor size.

Higher zoom means needing longer maximum focal length on the lens.

Higher apparent zoom is inversely proportional to the sensor size and so a higher optical zoom X can be obtained with a smaller sensor. But then, small sensor also means higher and unacceptable noise level.

So the only practical way to have higher zoom is to have longer max. focal length lenses and this means a camera with higher zoom can't be compact anymore.

There're some "high zoom" compacts like Ricoh R4 (95 x 53 x 26 mm) with 28-200mm equivalent zoom and Panasonic TZ-1 (112 x 58 x 40 mm) with 35-350mm equivalent zoom.

Clockunder said:
Optical zoom in compact cameras is related to the lens focal length vis=a-vis the image sensor size.

Higher zoom means needing longer maximum focal length on the lens.

Higher apparent zoom is inversely proportional to the sensor size and so a higher optical zoom X can be obtained with a smaller sensor. But then, small sensor also means higher and unacceptable noise level.

So the only practical way to have higher zoom is to have longer max. focal length lenses and this means a camera with higher zoom can't be compact anymore.

and it also mean you can't get as wide as those with bigger sensor with the same lens

yanyewkay said:
I like to own those 2x zooms like 12-24 or 10-20.
Lenses that cannot zoom also I like, examlpe: 300/2.8 or 600/4..:embrass:

:thumbsup: good choices very cheap also! :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.