Why The Nikon Price List thread is not updated?

I've been wondering the same thing for awhile. We don't say it often enough, but thanks to all who put in their time on this board! (I moderate a music forum, and I know how the little things can add up and it can really become a time-suck ;p)

If I may contribute a suggestion, how about we have a form to start collecting price updates first?
At least there's something that'll serve as a temporary measure while we figure out the best solution.

The mods/volunteers won't get flooded with PMs, while members can just refer to whatever data there is while things are being sorted out.

Example:

Share a price update: http://bit.ly/WaDz9n
View spreadsheet data: http://bit.ly/UUPN2u

This is great ! ;)

I've been wondering the same thing for awhile. We don't say it often enough, but thanks to all who put in their time on this board! (I moderate a music forum, and I know how the little things can add up and it can really become a time-suck ;p)

If I may contribute a suggestion, how about we have a form to start collecting price updates first?
At least there's something that'll serve as a temporary measure while we figure out the best solution.

The mods/volunteers won't get flooded with PMs, while members can just refer to whatever data there is while things are being sorted out.

Example:

View spreadsheet data: http://bit.ly/UUPN2u

This is great ! ;)

Although community assisted updates are good, there are issues to be considered. Eg. How to verify whether the info updated is correct, and not due to pranksters purposely providing wrong info, or even shop owners themselves providing wrong info to mislead people to visit their shops.

Yeah, thought about that too. Valid concerns. In the previous/current system, the person providing tip-off would have to PM the mod/volunteer, so that provides some form of accountability. Downside might be that receiving individual PMs, verifying price, and updating threads manually is quite taxing to sustain long-term.

The key is to find something that's a balance between it being easy to upkeep/manage while achieving a certain measure of accountability.

Anyway, there's a sticky in the old price guide forum with a disclaimer.
I've not seen it in a long time. Ha.

Prices quoted in the price guide forum
Hi all ClubSNAP-ers,

I'd just like to remind you guys that the prices quoted for equipment stated here (as is in any other sub-forum here on ClubSNAP)is supposed to be used as a rough guide. Please also note that prices differs shop to shop, and buyer to buyer. Neither ClubSNAP or us contributors are responsible for difference in price should the actual one differ to those stated in the guides. Please do not go to any shop and claim any item with these prices.

Thanks for reading!

Have a good day,

Lomographer

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/price-guides/568699-prices-quoted-price-guide-forum.html

This disclaimer really rocks.

But if we really want something to provide a basic level of accountability (with minimal volunteer/moderator intervention), a simple method may be to have a running thread (in CS) that supplements the form.

E.g., When a member wants to submit a price update, he/she should:

1. Share the price update via the form, members to use CS nick by default.
2. After sharing the update, make a post in that thread. Maybe something simple like "I just shared a price update".
3. So, by default, all price updates without an accompanying post are 'unverified'.
4. If a member wants to verify a particular price update on the form, the onus is on him/her to go and refer to the thread and find the accompanying post themselves.
5. This way, some responsibility is farmed out to the member checking prices for his/her reference. Afterall, he/she is the one benefiting. No need for spoon-feeding.

Last edited:
Sticky it? :embrass:

Example:

View spreadsheet data: http://bit.ly/SQvIgb (in List View)

Update: Noticed a useful function that some might not be aware of. Viewing the spreadsheet in
[List View] gives you sorting options. I have changed the link in this post to link directly to the List View.

7iKR2l.png

To get there manually via the old link some have quoted, go to the [View] dropdown menu and select

bIUrW.png

kandinsky said:
Yeah, thought about that too. Valid concerns. In the previous/current system, the person providing tip-off would have to PM the mod/volunteer, so that provides some form of accountability. Downside might be that receiving individual PMs, verifying price, and updating threads manually is quite taxing to sustain long-term.

The key is to find something that's a balance between it being easy to upkeep/manage while achieving a certain measure of accountability.

But if we really want something to provide a basic level of accountability (with minimal volunteer/moderator intervention), a simple method may be to have a running thread (in CS) that supplements the form.

2. After sharing the update, make a post in that thread. Maybe something simple like "I just shared a price update".
3. So, by default, all price updates without an accompanying post are 'unverified'.
4. If a member wants to verify a particular price update on the form, the onus is on him/her to go and refer to the thread and find the accompanying post themselves.
5. This way, some responsibility is farmed out to the member checking prices for his/her reference. Afterall, he/she is the one benefiting. No need for spoon-feeding.

Great, am in full support

the question is who is going to be maintaining that check between the thread and the form?

daredevil123 said:
the question is who is going to be maintaining that check between the thread and the form?

Why not just leave the link in the thread and let people to click it snaps find out?

You want updated price, here it is -
http://bit.ly/UUPN2u

You want to contribute, use this form -
http://bit.ly/WaDz9n

Seems that the whole doc is arranged by date.
Whoever created the doc, can you do it so the form is automatically arranged by product? and the products can they be organized into groups by category (like camera bodies, prime lenses, zoom lenses, etc...)?

Whoever created the doc, can you do it so the form is automatically arranged by product? and the products can they be organized into groups by category (like camera bodies, prime lenses, zoom lenses, etc...)?

If you are following the thread, you will know who created the doc. Contact him and make a request, I am sure he will be more than happy to organize the data. :bsmilie:

It can be sorted by the other columns, but as the input is based on a form, new data will always come in based on timestamp, so it will always need to be manually resorted once in awhile. (Someone else with better knowledge of Google Docs feel free to correct if I'm wrong).

Since there is a function that provides users with the option to sort & filter data as they like, it seems to make more sense to leave the core data as it is, but let individual viewers use the [List View] function for sorting (Quoted in eejal's post) to their own specific preferences.

Here's the link to view in List View: http://bit.ly/SQvIgb

- Click on a column header to sort.
- Use dropdown menus in each column to filter.

E.g. Sorting by purchase price (see the triangle icon), filter by D600.

F7Jfz.png

Last edited:
It can be sorted by the other columns, but as the input is based on a form, new data will always come in based on timestamp, so it will always need to be manually resorted once in awhile. (Someone else with better knowledge of Google Docs feel free to correct if I'm wrong).

:) it's really helps.

Mod,
any chance to move this to the main price guide folder? so that easier to find next time.
thank you

Very handy thanks...

I just shared a price update... but submitted twice, can u delete the 1st one?

Maybe you wanna check out..

docs(dot)google(dot)com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AuwOBmymdynzdGt0YmoxUUVfTVNRNzJEbG1wOE95Y1E&rm=full#gid=0

Noticed the updates slowed down over the last couple of months, thought most have forgotten about it.
Cool to see some keeping the effort alive :cool:

Reactions: LBL2009