Why the neon trail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madmax

Nov 22, 2003
I am curious why there is a neon trail. I took this pic using a tripod, so it is definitely not movement. Anyone knows?

medium.jpg

It might be due to filter reflection or internal optics replaection given the relatively high adjcennt angle of the neon light.

Haha if its an internal reflection due to the filter (if you were using one) you're pretty lucky. The effect is very surreal... like something from those old ghostbuster movies!

Usually internal reflections occur as bright globs somewhere else in the frame...and are pretty ugly. I havent seen it occur this way, adjacent to the source.

Whatever the cause may be, you are fortunate it kinda enhanced your pix. First, it appeared at a place where it seemed it should be, at the same time it kinda became a fill-in for the dark upper right corner, which helped make the picture more complete.

Are you using a remote or by pressing the shutter release button?
It could be because of the slight camera shake during the long exposure. :dunno:
The neon sign board was the brightest and affected most.

wiz23 said:
agree! :thumbsup:

Yup that is more the reason for it plus...I suspect the picture was shot with the apeture all open up to the max. This would mean that the full curvature of the lens cames into play which makes it even more susceptive to to internal refraction and burn-out glows. This usually happens near the edge of the picture.

Ya...I had a UV filter fixed onto my lens. As for how I depressed the shutter, I set my D100 on timer. I was too lazy to screw on my remote release. :sweatsm:

Initially, I did not think of it as nice. When I first saw it on my LCD, I thought there was a ghost.

sammy888 said:
Yup that is more the reason for it plus...I suspect the picture was shot with the apeture all open up to the max. This would mean that the full curvature of the lens cames into play which makes it even more susceptive to to internal refraction and burn-out glows. This usually happens near the edge of the picture.

Setting was F16 - 10 secs (actually a little too long).

Madmax said:
Setting was F16 - 10 secs (actually a little too long).

Wah!....and a D100 somemore. I thought maybe it was a P&S or Prosumer camera. But a D100??!! heheh... that really stump me. But then again...it could be still refraction

sammy888 said:
Wah!....and a D100 somemore. I thought maybe it was a P&S or Prosumer camera. But a D100??!! heheh... that really stump me. But then again...it could be still refraction
why can't an image shot with d100 have internal reflections? it's lens dependant.. not body.

jOhO said:
why can't an image shot with d100 have internal reflections? it's lens dependant.. not body.

It is not CAN'T happen but when you first take a look at this and no details were given. The first thing that comes to mind is it might be due to it being a P&S. And having started with a P&S myself when I gone digital and having owned a few digital camera, I have had a number of refraction, focusing and artifact situation using them then compared to when I am using my SLRs or DSLR. But I do maintain, it is still could be a refraction issue.

Thinking further I am just wonder it one of the elements has a fogging at that time. The foggy made the glass dense enough to act like a projected screen....thus capturing a faint projected image.

sammy888 said:
I think, as u suggested, it could be that he shot it at a wide aperture. It also depends on the lens construction. What lens did u use, Madmax?

Even D100 or 200 cannot prevent flares/ghosting caused by the lens :)

wiz23 said:
I think, as u suggested, it could be that he shot it at a wide aperture. It also depends on the lens construction. What lens did u use, Madmax?

Even D100 or 200 cannot prevent flares/ghosting caused by the lens :)

Nothing fancy...just the cheap but fabulous (IMHO) 18-70 DX.

Status
Not open for further replies.