why the need to upgrade to DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swimcraze

i've been using my coolpix prosumer digicam for a while and am happy with the results i get. If not, just apply some photoshop tricks and add magic to the photo to make it more outstanding. Apart from the shutter lag in prosumer digicam, is there any other reason why people upgrade to DSLR? Afterall, still have to do the same post processing for DSLR photos right?
Please enlighten me... :dunno:

thanks....

swimcraze said:
i've been using my coolpix prosumer digicam for a while and am happy with the results i get. If not, just apply some photoshop tricks and add magic to the photo to make it more outstanding. Apart from the shutter lag in prosumer digicam, is there any other reason why people upgrade to DSLR? Afterall, still have to do the same post processing for DSLR photos right?
Please enlighten me... :dunno:

thanks....

Shutter lag like you mention would already be one of the factors. Also, DSLRs will give you the versatility of changing lens. That should allow you so much more creativity in your shots, not to mention that you will have faster lenses at your disposal.

This will allow you to take shots in low light conditions when flash is not allow for example. In addition, external flash can be attached? Not sure if ur prosumner camera can do that, i'll assume your coolpix can? (CP5700? 5400?)

Think the fact that you can change lens would be one of the major factors. You can control a whole range of shutter speeds and aperature sizes not to mention that your range of aperature sizes will also be increased. Also, with good lenses, you can get sharper picture etc too.

It also depends on what you really want. If your needs warrent a DSLR, go for it, if you do fine with a prosumer digicam, then stick with it. Either that if you have too much cash to spare then guess you can spend it on a DSLR also or catch the "buy buy buy" bug.

Other considerations? Battery life? The feel of the camera (ie bigger body so easier to hold)?

coke21, you forgot the sensor size and detail cleanliness/bearability at values of 200 and up, and it's in steps of 1/2 too ;)

- faster turn over time than film
- sensor size (ISO)
- speed in capturing

interchangeble lens, less shutter lag faster startup time, faster operation and AF.

something that one would not need if shooting lanscape and still life.
absolutely necessary in photojournalism.
my opinion

espn said:
coke21, you forgot the sensor size and detail cleanliness at values of 200 and up, and it's in steps of 1/2 too ;)

some have steps of 1/3. better still.
but i think the prosumers will catch up in terms of image noise at high iso... not dificult to incoporate.

but an slr is an slr be it digital or not... seeing through the lens is a great thing that i would not want to do without.

espn said:
coke21, you forgot the sensor size and detail cleanliness at values of 200 and up, and it's in steps of 1/2 too ;)

Haha, thanks for the reminder....guess there are just too many reasons to upgrade. Only problem is no moolah...haha

ability 2 see thru the lens lar....
as is the EVF is quite laggy and with slow af, its quite hard to take action shots.... especially with fast movement everything looks choppy...

I belive you have used SLR yourself.

You should know the answer.

What have you missed in using a prosumer digicam as compare to a SLR?

binbeto said:

The ability to bash an elephant with the camera? :bsmilie:

frisky said:
The ability to bash an elephant with the camera? :bsmilie:

That would be very expensive bashing tool. :bsmilie:

Ask yourself why the need to change?
1. Need to burn money because you have too much
money to dispose?
2. It a self fulfilling dream of owning a DSLR?
3. Opportunity cost due to the facts that more and more
paid work required you to shoot digital images for fast
turn around time?
4. Most of the people here owns a DSLR thats why I'm
getting one.
5. Hope that a DSLR will improve my skill?

and the list will goes on.......

binbeto said:

WEIGHT! :)

if you are currently happy with your digicam, that is very news for you. Save money, there is no need to get anything you dun need, dun buy cos others are doing so. Spent the time on photography not equipment. :D

Belle&Sebastain said:
if you are currently happy with your digicam, that is very news for you. Save money, there is no need to get anything you dun need, dun buy cos others are doing so. Spent the time on photography not equipment. :D

I love my F90x to bits but find myself using my digicam more often when i go out due to convenience of size and weight..... been really tempted to get a DSLR (so that i can use my lens) but trying to convince myself that i do/do not need one :)

got a gut feeling that the DSLR will be left at home as well, eventually .....(due to the weight and bulk)

:sweat:

thanks for all your contribution...

scanner said:
That would be very expensive bashing tool. :bsmilie:

Ask yourself why the need to change?
1. Need to burn money because you have too much
money to dispose?
2. It a self fulfilling dream of owning a DSLR?
3. Opportunity cost due to the facts that more and more
paid work required you to shoot digital images for fast
turn around time?
4. Most of the people here owns a DSLR thats why I'm
getting one.

and the list will goes on.......

hey scanner.....

you got number 1 (spare cash....not too much to dispose tho), 2 and 5 correct ;)

swimcraze, you got access to a S2 Pro you know? Just call and it'll be there for you to drool over and tempt you over.

But I think if you dread the weight of your F90X, the DSLRs aren't going to be much lighter. Also, images don't come out nice straight from the DSLRs, processing is more or less required to sharpen and adjust the image.

Maybe it's the processing and sending in of film to develop getting you down that's why you're using ur CP so often? If so, DSLR is an expensive way to escape from the workflow of processing film.

I do foresee you'll shoot often with a DSLR because of the turnover workflow time also, but the cost somehow doesn't really ratio out? :)

Dynamic range and camera sensitivity.

I don't know if this is 100% correct, but it is some logic that I thought up one fine day: On prosumer cam, the CCD is exposed all the time, and the 'shutter' is a period of time when data is sampled from the CCD. This means that the CCD is in the light and to prevent over burning, the CCD has to be less sensitive, especially in bright lights. For SLR, the CCD is in the dark until the shutter opens, hence captures whatever the mechanical part of the camera wants the CCD to capture. Therefor, the CCD on DSLR can actually be more sensitive. That means better noise control, higher dynamic range.

The larger CCD certainly helps!

Not really, the sensors on the CCD only accept light, so it's a bit hard for either CCD of DCs or DSLRs to have a very big dynamic range like film. The light on the CCD are then processed further to achieve the colours you get, unlike film where the chemical reacts to the light to achieve the range of colours. (Saw a diagram and explanation of this off dpreview if I didn't remember wrongly) Thus the dynamic range on digital is still not that good I feel (personally) for both DC and DSLR.

The only plus points of the large CCD size is the ISO cranking, frankly that's all I see of having a CCD that size. And of course, larger image sizes and storage ;) The reason for the CCD to hide behind the mirror is so that we can see through the viewfinder!! Heehee.

scanner said:
This is one of the most common misconceptions that people wanting to upgrade to a DSLR still believe in. In short, the answer is no, not necessarily. A DSLR is still a tool, only a better equipped one at that. At the end of the day, the results still ultimately depend on the person behind the lens. A good photographer would be able to use a DSLR to add flexibility, versatility and better image quality to his shots, whilst a mediocre photographer with a poor grasp of the basic techniques will still produce mediocre shots, no matter how advanced the DSLR he or she is using.

Status
Not open for further replies.