Why the "equipment" question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyanlex

Apr 15, 2009
I don't get it. Often than not, people looking for photographers, specially those photography enthusiast, are asking for "what equipment are you using?" not only that, they go to specifics like camera, camera body, lens, flash...
really?
i think a portfolio is enough. if you like the photos then it dosnt matter what equipment was used.

just a thought.

Cheers!

say one day you're in the bus in front of a traffic light and there is a spanking new Lamborghini coming to a halt beside you; will you admire the vehicle or the pretty lady at the passenger seat? :bsmilie:

just joking. I have an online portfolio and I don't bring my photos everywhere I go. So what is to show other than your gears? :dunno:

As you have said it, especially the photography enthusiasts are interested in your gear, it would generally be so that the trade/skill specific enthusiasts would be interested in the tool of the trade. Say if you are a carpentry enthusiast, you will probably be interested to know what tools the carpenter you are hiring is using to make claim of the beautiful finishes he can achieved.

As you have said it, especially the photography enthusiasts are interested in your gear, it would generally be so that the trade/skill specific enthusiasts would be interested in the tool of the trade. Say if you are a carpentry enthusiast, you will probably be interested to know what tools the carpenter you are hiring is using to make claim of the beautiful finishes he can achieved.

I think its part of the whole package. A master craftman will always be proud of their tools, and are particular about the quality of their tools. Similarly , a wanabe will be in awe of the tools of the mastercraftman.

Hence , thats why equipments and gears discussion is the most prevalent topic nowdays.

I supposed people asked so that people can use similar equipment to get the similar results? No?

I love to look at their shocking expression when they know im using Panasonic.
Priceless.

But cant stand people bugging me to change to other brands of camera lol.

I suppose this is similar to ppl asking what car u drive HAHA

I use a vivitar digital camera of only 4mp ... Panasonic .... WOW!

I supposed people asked so that people can use similar equipment to get the similar results? No?

i don't think that gonna work. You don't score like Tiger Woods even though you use the same golf clubs as him.

i don't go crazy with nice glass and nice cameras; nowadays even high school kids can afford a pro body so what is there to envy?

I don't get it. Often than not, people looking for photographers, specially those photography enthusiast, are asking for "what equipment are you using?" not only that, they go to specifics like camera, camera body, lens, flash...
really?
i think a portfolio is enough. if you like the photos then it dosnt matter what equipment was used.

just a thought.

Cheers!

some people will get pass this stage, but some don't.

so some will become an artist one day, but some forever won't

that's true. but can u imagine covering an event with a canon IXUS? this is almost a superficial world.

Last edited:
say one day you're in the bus in front of a traffic light and there is a spanking new Lamborghini coming to a halt beside you; will you admire the vehicle or the pretty lady at the passenger seat? :bsmilie:

just joking. I have an online portfolio and I don't bring my photos everywhere I go. So what is to show other than your gears? :dunno:

noted.... hypothetically, if you saw my up to date gear would you think I'm a good photographer?

that's true. but can u imagine covering an event with a canon IXUS? this is almost a superficial world.

Well what's wrong with covering an event with a canon ixus? If at the end of the day, when the pictures are produced, the client is very happy with the result without a care for what camera is being used, isn't that already good enough? :dunno:

i see... but what if you've seen his work before you've seen his tools and you loved his work only to find out that this carpenter uses old and improvised tools, would you still hire him?

really?

just a thought.

Cheers!

That is already your answer, then so be it. Just look back again one day when you are thinking of upgrading or buying new gears.

Can't deny the fact tat there are ppl who wanna show off n there are ppl who dun. At the end of the day, we just shoot our photos n hack care way other ppl think...

I think its part of the whole package. A master craftman will always be proud of their tools, and are particular about the quality of their tools. Similarly , a wanabe will be in awe of the tools of the mastercraftman.

Hence , thats why equipments and gears discussion is the most prevalent topic nowdays.

Point taken. Although, in my view, a master craftsman will be proud of his work and not reveal his tools because it's his trade secret and his own technique and he worked hard to learn these.

Well what's wrong with covering an event with a canon ixus? If at the end of the day, when the pictures are produced, the client is very happy with the result without a care for what camera is being used, isn't that already good enough? :dunno:

Yes, client will pay when you are someone famous even when you are using a hp camera to shoot for them.

noted.... hypothetically, if you saw my up to date gear would you think I'm a good photographer?

nope, I would treat you as just a photographer, be it you're using cheap lenses or expensive ones.

Gears mean very little to me. They are just tools afterall. I will be ":bigeyes:" or ":sweat:" only when I see your results.

i don't think that gonna work. You don't score like Tiger Woods even though you use the same golf clubs as him.

i don't go crazy with nice glass and nice cameras; nowadays even high school kids can afford a pro body so what is there to envy?

That's an extreme example. You are talking about comparing one of the best golfers. I wouldn't say I gonna shoot as well as those famous professional photographers if I have the same equipments. But I can hope that I will at least be half as good if I keep shooting and learning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.