Why the colour so.. dull? Help help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

senok0

Jul 24, 2007
Singapore
Hey guys,

I'm kinda new here, as you all can see.. and staring off with a 10D passed on to me by my cousin who lives in Malaysia - so, not really much people I can turn to for advice on photography.. due to the long, long distances.

Okay, basically, I'm (trying) to join this competition - http://cybershott2.sony-asia.com/indexc.html (from there click on the competition below).. the theme is COLOURS, i think..

I've went around some parts of boat quay/clarke quay, and around some suburban estates, saw alot of nice places for shoots, but can't seem to get *bright* shorts - you know, those where the colours stand out.. end up all seems so.. blended!

Played with the white balance setting already, and tried messing with aperture and stuff.. But it seems only in bright light then the colours appear.. how about during mid day?

(okay okay, as a site note, i *REALLY* want to get that camera prize - the Sony T2 at http://cybershott2.sony-asia.com/indexc.html real real bad. for my gf.. she's been nagging like forever.. so guys, please please please help me out here =x)

erm.. if the light is not there, there is only so much you can do for color

if you could post up a few shots (which you do not intend to enter) but the effect described above is like so.. then some of the photoshoppists here can help you out.

on another note, getting the camera prize is.. kinda.. counting your chickens before the egg has even come out, don't you think? :dunno: not that i wish to pour cold water on you.. but i'm not entirely sure whether you should just.. take it like you're going to win it for sure..

night86mare:

whoops.. sorry. i was counting on the fact that there were few people who joined the competition.. and that most of them who joined so far posted out of theme - go take a look at their gallery.. through the website =X

ah well, even if can't win, at least i tried. maybe can get some prize still =X if manage to get something up.. must always have HOPE for things ma :)

seriously, bro, its a win-win if more people joins, and share their experience, right?

ahahahaha

now you post up later more people join :devil:

yar i know what you mean though. in any case.. dynamic range of digital sensor warrants that you do need to photoshop some what in certain situations, where the light is not to your favour, to bring those colours out.

Just try to increase the saturation in the PP will help, but don't push to high as it will create more noise.

ahahahaha

now you post up later more people join :devil:

yar i know what you mean though. in any case.. dynamic range of digital sensor warrants that you do need to photoshop some what in certain situations, where the light is not to your favour, to bring those colours out.

haha. doesn't matter if more people join :) good for everyone then. we all get to learn ma..

but seriously - abit off topic, though - i wanna learn how to do the kinda 3d photography they have on their flash site.. amazing stuff.

hmm. photoshopping? like what filters (is that what's its called) could i use for it? im not sure if this competition allows for filters leh.. the rest of the entries look quite natural.. www.flickr.com/groups/freetheimage/

Just try to increase the saturation in the PP will help, but don't push to high as it will create more noise.

noise? as in - the picture becomes blurry? I tried saturation.. but it looks yellowish... and stuff.

I'm trying to achieve an effect like:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/freetheimage > Pool > Page 8 > 3rd Row first picture. the one with the straws

Don't know why can't seem to do that without the mashing up..

Can take a look and suggest?

Thanks night86mare & leong23 again!

I see no straws...

Just someone uploading their entire family and travel album.

Hey upload some pics, easier for everyone to help you!

In any case, u could make colors look more vivid by upping the saturation / doing a gentle "S-curve" in photoshop curves.
Or u could just use the brightness/contrast slider..

you can play around with curves to increase the contrast and up the saturation.. see if that helps.. but if the light is bad, only so much that can be done.

normal_Korea_2007-20.jpg

wonder if i submit tis can anot... of course minus the orbit frame lah... and maybe use the original image color...

normal_Korea_2007-20.jpg

wonder if i submit tis can anot... of course minus the orbit frame lah... and maybe use the original image color...

Very nice colour, maybe can clone away the pole in the foreground or at least the shadow on the pole. ;p

woot~ very colourful!

btw juz a curious question.. why didn't you shoot just "one lane" rather than having the centre divider (the pole) and part of the right lane? thought it'd be more balanced.. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.