Why some cameras have blurred images at full zoom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boroangel

Apr 23, 2005
Hi, I have a question regarding taking pics at full zoom. I have tried taking pics using the Minolta Z3 (12Xzoom) and the Panasonic FZ5 (12X zoom) at full zoom. For both cameras, when I zoom at a object farther away it gives a very blurred image on the LCD, needless to say when the pic was taken it was also blurred.

However when I used my S5500 (10X zoom) to zoom at the same object in the same distance the LCD showed a very sharp and clear image and the pic taken was also sharp.

Some say that because the camera is shaking thats why at 12 X zom it is blurred but the Z3 and the FZ5 both have anti shake technology and I was holding all 3 cameras the same way with minimal shaking.

Regarding the pressing down the shuter halfway first, how long do we have to hold it in the half down position before ti can get a clear image cos I can seem to do so?

Can anyone explain?

perhaps because one is 12, while the other is 10, the focal length is therefore longer? that in turns require a faster shutterspeed to take the picture without blurring.

therefore if all pictures were taken under similar light conditions, and not on a shutter priority/manual mode, i guess its quite understandable and normal?

:)

boroangel said:
Hi, I have a question regarding taking pics at full zoom. I have tried taking pics using the Minolta Z3 (12Xzoom) and the Panasonic FZ5 (12X zoom) at full zoom. For both cameras, when I zoom at a object farther away it gives a very blurred image on the LCD, needless to say when the pic was taken it was also blurred.

However when I used my S5500 (10X zoom) to zoom at the same object in the same distance the LCD showed a very sharp and clear image and the pic taken was also sharp.

Some say that because the camera is shaking thats why at 12 X zom it is blurred but the Z3 and the FZ5 both have anti shake technology and I was holding all 3 cameras the same way with minimal shaking.

Regarding the pressing down the shuter halfway first, how long do we have to hold it in the half down position before ti can get a clear image cos I can seem to do so?

Can anyone explain?
did u test all the three cams on the same spot at the same time ?? and where did u test them? shops?

boroangel said:

Can anyone explain?

Interesting. How about posting all 3 pics?

boroangel said:

Can anyone explain?

I was just wondering was the digital zoom active when you were using the Z3 and FZ5 ?

And were the cameras focused on the subject when the lcd showed the blurred image?

Is the anti-shake system actually been activate??? Lighting condition the same? Same ISO setting? Aperture setting? All these may influence the condition of the photos taken.

mayb u can switch all d cams 2 manual mode so as 2 narrow down its difference in aperture, shutter speed, ISO & Image Stabilzer (IS0) modes, etc.

den can we pin-point its 'problem'? :think:

Hiee there....

Ever thought of ....this...

If let say you have a line in an image - for example a hair strand.
After zooming to 100% this line looks sharp ....represented by a line 2 pixels thick.......
(Taking a higher magapixel sensor and shot the same subject)
Then you took the same hair strand...- now this line represented by 8 pixels thick @ 100% view......this hair lines which is represented by 8 pixels surely will look "softer" just because now the two-pixel width is now spreaded into mor pixels giving the sense of "blur".

Handholding a long zoom even with techy stuff like OIS etc....will induce blurry image.....a fair test would be using a tripod....and again....unless you have manual focus to zoom in while focussing to ensure optimal sharpness then you may expect some margin of inaccuracies...

Well, there are many other factors too related to lens and camera shake that will cause soft/blurry images - However, these normally would not even be obvious if printed say to a range of 4R to A4 size....

Unless you do large prints then.....it woul then be more critical for such 100% blow up sharpness..

rgds,
sulhan

I think it has to do with the focus. When you zoom in at max setting, the AF of the camera could had identified something else to focus at, instead of what you wished. Hence the subject turned out blur.

One way is to change the # of focus points, or simply release the shutter, and half press again for the camera to re-focus.

The S5500 and the FZ5 was tested at the shops and the Z3 was tested at home by pointing at targets outside...I used the S5500 and FZ5 at Alan Photos to full zoom into some object on the opposite shop. For the Z3, when looking otu the window....no matter what I zoom at and hold it super still its still blurred...even though I press down the button halfway...

You are right...I never adjust the apertures or shutter speeds or other features for all three...however, I managed to get very clear pictures on my LCD for the S5500...

I think all three were on auto mode when I try to see through the LCD. now if for the FZ5 and Z3 have to set to manual mode to have clear image at full zoom....then does that mean its auto got some limitations. By the way...not sure even if at manual tis full zoom produces clear images. Maybe users of these 2 can clarify? I have prob done something wrong somewhere as I am a newbie.

I mean when it looks blurred it looks blurred on the LCD...never take any pictures and upload them to the PC...cos if look blurred on the LCD confirmed look the asme on the PC right?

Hi boroangel,

As best as I know, there are basically 3 types of blur.

1) Out-of-focus
2) Camera shake
3) Subject movement

With any zoom lens that zooms in close (reaching a telephoto end), you must take extra care to focus properly/accurately. Telephoto-class lenses have shallower depth of field (DOF) and hence there is lesser tolerance to your focusing mistakes if you are zoomed into the telephoto end. Images not focussed accurately with telephoto lenses (or any lens actually) are simply blurred because they are out-of-focus.

When you are at the telephoto end of a zoom lens, camera shake shows up clearly. Our hands cannot hold anything absolutely still, hence snipers require a bipod in front of their rifles, and photographers require tripods for their long bazooka lenses. Anti-shake or image-stabliser is useful but up to a certain limit. If the cameras you tried had 10x or 12x zoom lenses, then when you zoomed in to the maximum, they are probably equivalent to 200mm or 300mm focal length on popular 35mm-format cameras. (In case these numbers are unfamiliar to you, they are telephoto-class lenses.) Using lenses with such focal length often requires a pair of steady hands or strong arms, and fast shutter speeds. Tripods are often recommended for 300mm and longer. Otherwise, you end up with blurred images.

Also, when you are in the telephoto end of a zoom lens, subject movement (if the subject is moving) becomes quicker (if that's the right word to use) simply because you are zoomed in closer. Fast shutter speeds are required to freeze the movement for a sharp image.

I strongly suspect the cause of the blur is a combination of 1) and 2), probably more of 2).

If you were using the camera LCD to aim and shoot your subject, there is more chance of camera shake because your arms are more outstretched and affected by gravity. Folding your arms to aim using the viewfinder is better as your hands shake much less. (If you have a big beer belly or 9 months pregnant, you could even rest your elbows on your tummy while holding the camera to your eye! You got yourself a bipod.)

Anyway, your comparison of the 3 cameras is unfair because you used them under different circumstances and at different subjects, and probably using different camera settings.

Jemapela said:
Anyway, your comparison of the 3 cameras is unfair because you used them under different circumstances and at different subjects, and probably using different camera settings.

For the FZ5 and S5500 the subjects and conditions were the same....although the settings were prob different.

Anyway, when I get back my bro's Z3 I will try again and see if I can foucs properly on an object out of my window....prob something on the carpark or the opposite block.

Status
Not open for further replies.