Why so pixelated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloevera08

Feb 16, 2011
Singapore
www.gem.com.sg
HI,

I'm using a canon 500D and my work requires me to take shots of jewellery. However, the shots are always not so ideal as the gemstones on the jewellery doesn't appear to be clear.

I use a 100mm macro with the 500D. Tried many different settings with f8-11 mainly and slow shutter speeds. When I zoom into the picture, the minor details always look out of focused and pixelated. Anyway I can improve?

how much do u zoom in? on your pc monitor 100% shld be fine unless its still too small. then you might want to consider upgrading to a higher res camera.

have you checked what ISO you are shooting at?

Mind to share a pic? Pixelation might be due to >100% zoom as flipfreak pointed out.

When you are using F8-11, how close is your lens to the stuff you are photographing? It could be that the depth of field is too thin when you focus so close, and thus parts of the picture appear out of focus.

When you use slow shutter speeds, is your camera on a sturdy tripod and did you take all necessary steps to ensure the setup is as stable as possible (use remote to trigger the shutter etc)?

are you using the correct image size? i had a friend who happily took picture with the smallest resolution and complained that the camera is not good.. :confused:

HI,

I'm using a canon 500D and my work requires me to take shots of jewellery. However, the shots are always not so ideal as the gemstones on the jewellery doesn't appear to be clear.

I use a 100mm macro with the 500D. Tried many different settings with f8-11 mainly and slow shutter speeds. When I zoom into the picture, the minor details always look out of focused and pixelated. Anyway I can improve?
no photo no talk!! :D

when you zoom pass 100% sure will be pixelated.

checking sharpness, zoom at 100% will do, anything larger than 100% is only when you need to do very fine and details touch up work.

HI,

How large?

Are you using tripod?

What is the file size you set on yr camera and how much did you crop and lastly how big are you printing it out?

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply.
How do I post a picture up here?

Please read the Forum FAQ. Top of the Newbies section, it's a sticky.

IMG_6181.jpg

IMG_6182.jpg

IMG_6183.jpg

Sorry I can't remember the settings for these pics. But I used a 100mm macro to try out. When I zoom into the picture, it is very pixelated. How do I get a clear image of such items? the measurement of this necklace is about an A4 size paper. For printing, it would be about 1:1, i.e. almost actual size.

I used flash. ISO at 100 or 200. shot indoors. stood about 1m - 2m away from the item. that's about what i can remember. took this pic quite sometime ago..

Last edited:
Are these the actual straigh out of camera shots? If so, you have severely reduced the image size in your camera. Therefore any "zooming in" would lead to pixellation.

yeah. actual out of camera shots. i didnt do any editing or cropping.
what do you mean by reducing the image size in my camera?

If taken at full resolution and printed in A4 size (~ 8.3" x 11.6"), you should not have much problem.
I don't think it's reasonable to expect to zoom into the minute detail of each gem and expect it not to be pixelated.

If you want that, then you will need to photograph segments of the necklace and then stitch them together for an ultra-high-res image :)

yeah. actual out of camera shots. i didnt do any editing or cropping.
what do you mean by reducing the image size in my camera?

the image you have uploaded is only 533 x 800 pixels. What size did you record the image as? If it's a 12MP camera, it should be something like 4--- x 2--- pixels

edit: of course you shouldn't be uploading that size image online! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.