Why so many races when there is only the human race?

Status
Not open for further replies.

forward

May 27, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Why must we divide ourselves into so many different races,
and worst still there will be those with more than three
races but can only have two recorded. For all we know
there is only one race, the human race! What are your
views?

:think::think::dunno:

So that ppl knows how you looks like (roughly) and where you are from (geographical) and what language you speaks and what culture you grew up in. That's only my guess. BTW human race sound more general...we are the human species (aka Homo Saipen).

Last edited:
historically, humans has always differentiated themselves via one way or another. consider ancient greece, they differentiated by cities. spartans are too fierce. athenians are boy loving poets, persians are deformed dark skinned barbarians...

it is a product of geographical location and initial dispersal rather than any real general genetic traits. it's the old 'us vs them' theory, and the selfish theory. anything that is us or similar to us is better than the others, will will most likely help promote us or someone similar to us.

i think that we're just too stupid to look beyond that which is skin deep and focus on the larger issue. we need cylons to put us back into our place.

views?

is it really a division?

firstly - i wonder how many people really care what is on their ic. i know i don't. being a highly pragmatic person, the first thing i care about my ic is not what is on it, other than it being accurate to a certain extent. the first thing i care about is that i don't lose it, so that i won't have to pay money to replace it. :)

secondly - one could just as easily argue in the same breath that gender is an artificial division, especially with increasing liberalism in that area.

Yeah, looks like there will be more confusion
when more and more Chinese males especially
those in China have to look outside for
partners to get married - as predicted within the
next ten years.

with 24millon strapping young men unable to find a bride...yeah.

views?

:think::think::dunno:

Actually the concept of "race" started in the USA back in the 1700s and early 1800s when they were justifying slavery. Until then people were people with just a recognition of skin colour in the west along with different cultural / religious associations. So for example historically in the west there were white men, brown men, yellow men, red men and black men (no particular order).

and the gahmen wonders why we lack a sense of national identity? I think the emphasis on race should give a clue as to why it is so hard for many of us to develop a sense of patriotism. Eliminate the race from the IC and make it a matter of Singaporean or not. I don't see how race makes any difference in this day and age.

it's all territorial pissing. Humans tend to have a selfish concept of claiming lands for themselves, calling them 'countries' and not taking into consideration anything else that lives there.. A real pity... And race? A stupid excuse for discrimination..

When I meet people I don't take into consideration what race they are or which country they come from, it is good to be open minded. Remember that all humans are not inherently good or bad, it's the things which they do that makes them good or bad.

OMG, it's a "race thread", some forum members are getting the heebie-jeebies. Moderators better close this thread fast as per the posting guidelines.
I think that to be on the safe side, this thread should be close because honestly from what I see most are just giving their own theories on the human race. I call for the mods to close this thread before things get out of hand. I dont understand why in the past threads were close within one or two posts but this thread can last so long and at so many points it was so close to breaking out in argument. Parts on how the decision is insulting to the human race etc... well I dont see how statements like this can help us understand the human race more. i see it more as martians thinking how they want their rights to be respected more than that of the human race.

Last edited:
and the gahmen wonders why we lack a sense of national identity? I think the emphasis on race should give a clue as to why it is so hard for many of us to develop a sense of patriotism. Eliminate the race from the IC and make it a matter of Singaporean or not. I don't see how race makes any difference in this day and age.

it's all territorial pissing. Humans tend to have a selfish concept of claiming lands for themselves, calling them 'countries' and not taking into consideration anything else that lives there.. A real pity... And race? A stupid excuse for discrimination..

When I meet people I don't take into consideration what race they are or which country they come from, it is good to be open minded. Remember that all humans are not inherently good or bad, it's the things which they do that makes them good or bad.

One of life's ironies seems to be calling for a ONE
united people while on your IC people are identified
by their heritage.

These approaches can lead to further frustration,
disappointment, mistrust, and even image destruction
to the country when the people should be surrendering
personal differences and focus to be united as ONE.

What are the reasons for creating this kind of hindrance?
Perhaps the people involved in this decision can go
further and deeper into more productive debate over
the consequences.

:dunno::think:

Last edited:
OMG, it's a "race thread", some forum members are getting the heebie-jeebies. Moderators better close this thread fast as per the posting guidelines.

Perhaps one should be going towards the direction of
opening doors for prosperous sensible discussion - when
what we want is to find the best way to live in this
country. Moving backward is surrendering to people's
frustration and chaos.

;):)

The only thing I can see beneficial for racial profiling is for medical purpose. It is an easy way out to profile lifestyle & probably diet too, but it works quite well.

by the way is human race the same as motor race, F1 race, horse race, camel race, dog race ...? :bsmilie:

Last edited:
TS, are you the person who just called in FM95.8 today. He said the same thing in the 有话自己说。:D

Got question. Race is a human form word or should I say species and hybrids as that is what it all seems. When continent splitted eons ago, evolution transformed one of the many carbon entities like human into different characteristic or sub-species and knowledge. And through interaction, form hybrids. This is race in my basic definition.

However as human becomes more intellectual, they need a basic word where species, sub-species and hybrids can understand and differentiate, thus race comes in.

cause we all like a run? lol. hence ur races.

I really think your argument lacks much evidence :sweat:

You really think there is a correlation between a lack of patroitism and the little word on everyone's IC?

What use is removing 'Race' from our IC when we are NOT yet 'Color Blind' ?? :think:

If we are already 'Color Blind'.... will listing race on our IC change anything ?? Shouldn't we be more concern about teaching ourselves and our children how not too see stereotype in other Races instead of doing cosmetic changes like removing 'Race' from our IC ??

I really think your argument lacks much evidence :sweat:

You really think there is a correlation between a lack of patroitism and the little word on everyone's IC?

Every little things does make a different in people's
thinking.

When people starts to find out the best way to live
in this country, every little things counts.
What not that little IC you carry with you does
identify the country you are from, somehow the
different in the race does make us surrender
to something or some selfish identity of the human
race.

The lack of patroitism can spark off from just little
things like surrendering to the expectations of others
or to the country you live in, opinions of others,
even to some extent resentment from certain unexpected
rules and unpopular regulations. More so if it is surrendering
to the ego of the ruling party and decision makers.

The people can enjoy the grace, love and wisdom of
the country and be grateful when the rulers can
show activities and lifestyles aiming at the
prosperity, righteous and united purposes of living
for the masses rich or poor.

;):)

Status
Not open for further replies.