Why So Difficult To Get Maybank Credit Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donchua

Nov 30, 2004
Tampines
Last time my Gross Pay above $2.5k per month, applied for Maybank credit card got rejected.
Now my Basic Pay per month above $2.5k per month, applied for Maybank credit card
still gotten rejected..;(
Min requirement $30K per year leh..
Why so difficult ah.... :think:

what zcf pointed out could be true. all credit applications at any banks will be reference to Credit Bureau. if you have bad payment records on any credit applications with participating banks in SG, your records will be kept there.

so, most banks will refer to CB first before deciding if you are good for the credit facility.

btw, have you tried other banks? did they reject or approve your application? maybe Maybank is being conservative...

MayBank is not Singapore one right?

So in effect, unless you are a citizen of the same country as the issuing bank, you're a 'foreigner', thus carrying added risks/liabilities.

They scare U chalk up huge debt and 'run away'! :bsmilie:

Or more seriously, having worked on diff consumer bank consumer product accounts before ... banks have their own 'internal' profile of type of customers they want and demographic backgrounds. It has nothing to so with how much you earn ... unless you earn TONS or have lots of assets - then almost ANY bank would hunger for your business, sometimes, even if you have not so stellar credit listing.

MayBank is not Singapore one right?

So in effect, unless you are a citizen of the same country as the issuing bank, you're a 'foreigner', thus carrying added risks/liabilities.

They scare U chalk up huge debt and 'run away'! :bsmilie:

Or more seriously, having worked on diff consumer bank consumer product accounts before ... banks have their own 'internal' profile of type of customers they want and demographic backgrounds. It has nothing to so with how much you earn ... unless you earn TONS or have lots of assets - then almost ANY bank would hunger for your business, sometimes, even if you have not so stellar credit listing.

Maybank is a qualifying full local bank.. i.e.... They are almost the same as DBS and UOB and OCBC, just.. less Govt. involvement.

they've cards without annual fees.

So many banks have cards without annual fees. I've never paid a single cent on annual fees for all my cards. Why go to a foreign bank and 'beg' them when you can go to so many local banks which offer a wide variety of cards? Don't 'beg' Maybank lah...depend on ourselves. :bsmilie:

So many banks have cards without annual fees. I've never paid a single cent on annual fees for all my cards. Why go to a foreign bank and 'beg' them when you can go to so many local banks which offer a wide variety of cards? Don't 'beg' Maybank lah...depend on ourselves. :bsmilie:

Haha... yalor, why beg them. I heard that to open an Account in Maybank in Malaysia, you need a refferal who is a current account holder. I gets tons of phone call asking me to signup for free CC.

did you owe any debt and not pay on time before?
May be can ask Maybank or Credit Bureau (Singapore) Pte Ltd on why they reject your application.

Yours is the most plausible reason for it. If your rating is great and without a single blemish at all...even if you don't ask for the card, you will already be getting numerous pre-approved card invitation by mail or even calls if they somehow track you number down. All they need is someone to refer you and get your particular, farm your credit from some agency and they invest $20 with Credit Bureau to check on you and if your results comes back really clean or a credit card "virgin" and you have financial means...you will be sent cards for sure. How you think they bank can give you an approval credit facility in one hour according to one of the local banks. Credit Bureau is raking in the big buck from selling your info to banks...without even twisting their arms. There is more then one really good reason for have a credit bureau if you really want to know. As your entire credit and loan info is there...make sure you manager your credit well...especially the young ones who are credit card/credit line crazy just as you start to qualify for it. A bad credit card record will effect your future car loan or house loan. Last time banks don't share information..so if you mount up debts in one bank...hard for another to know...now...thanks to the power to be..ALL UNDER ONE ROOF.

Anyhoo.....Tat is the easy part. The hardest part is saying no all of them but just take on or keep one card or two and if you have a weakness for the BBB bug...I suggest you quickly cut up those invite cards before it is too late. Once hooked...very hard to unhook. And that just what they want you to do.

I got the Maybank card too...and really..not a big deal. The only thing I like about them...they go paperless. I don't get paper bills. It is totally online unlike other banks.

Citibank and UOB has electronic bills if you want. Paper bills are better for evidential trail compared to e-bills.

they've cards without annual fees.

Officially, the following credit card has no annual fees:
POSB Everyday card.
ABN Amro credit card

But, as DeSwitch point out, actually any other bank credit card annual fee also can be arranged to be waived, if you do not take up any of their instalment plan. If you have any instalment plan, usually it's a bit difficult to waive.

There must be a reason for your reject. Someone I know who just started work not long ago with salary around $2300 got her card on 1st application from Maybank.

Till date the best promotion I see is from Amex Platinum card although no waiver allow, $300 annual.
Free Ipod 80GB(value >$360)
Free Feed At Raffles membership(value about $415)
Free Longiness watch(value > $500)
Free entry to Clubbing and 1 for 1 drinks....etc.

No leh, I have friends who earn $1800 got May Bank Credit cards. ABN Amro also have free credit card for life. Actually all credit cards are free...I never pay any annual fees for credit cards before. Now I have problem rejecting those tele marketing people for credit cards..really irritating. Actually after having so many credit cards...these days I prefer to pay most things by cash. I find writing cheques end of the mth really a pain!:angry:

Officially, the following credit card has no annual fees:
POSB Everyday card.
ABN Amro credit card

But, as DeSwitch point out, actually any other bank credit card annual fee also can be arranged to be waived, if you do not take up any of their instalment plan. If you have any instalment plan, usually it's a bit difficult to waive.

Not true...got mine waved for 3 years in a row even when I had a 48mths installment plan....(Very stupid to sign up for such long installment plan.....) I prefer to pay cash these days.

waiver of annual fees is a 'goodwill guesture' everyone is very happy and can put on airs to switch to another company if they don't waive it. However, this will hit a person hardest at the lowest point of his life when he cannot repay his bills on time andis facing money problems, the banks can choose not to waive it and he'll be in deeper shlt.

Get a card that already says no membership fee is the best.

Better still don't get any and pay by cash. :bsmilie:

If it's so difficult to get their credit card then screw it.... I'm sure another bank will want your business.
;)

And I don't pay annual fee regardless of what card I use (though my favourite is the Signature card). Because honestly I don't don't see the need to. If the bank insist that I do then just cancel the card and apply elsewhere.

That's my opinion.

i guess the TS probably wanted a Maybank credit card because of some perks and privileges. esle, any other credit cards will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.