why so blurr

Status
Not open for further replies.

twisted illusion

Dec 4, 2008
hi, these pic r taken using Canon 10D + Canon 180mm Macro...

is it due to the sensor too old, that why pic all is blurr... hope you guys can give some guidance to make it sharper...

pic just crop directly out of camera.. setting all the same...
ISO=100, F=3.5, T=200, camera mounted on tripod but all the screw head is lose control by hand... ya, flash is used...

these are 3 of the can see better shots... rest all craps...

IMG_39751.JPG

IMG_39741.JPG

IMG_3973.JPG

i tried D90 with kit lens, dnt need macro sharp until can see my baby face sweat gland hair... is it time to upgrade...
DSC_00256.JPG

all these pic is crop to current size without any size reduction...

Last edited:
1. how fast was the settings.
2. use tripod.
3. shutter lag so helpful if subject not moving.

you need to +EV to your flash, it is underexposed
at macro distances, the DOF is really shallow, so shooting at f3.5 will result in a very shallow DOF

i also think the focus is off

1. how fast was the settings.
how fast as in shutter speed how fast... its 200... cos my flash syn at 200 max...
2. use tripod.
yup, tripod as support... but not fully locked, but fully grounded...
3. shutter lag so helpful if subject not moving.
can explain what is shutter lag... :p

you need to +EV to your flash, it is underexposed
at macro distances, the DOF is really shallow, so shooting at f3.5 will result in a very shallow DOF

i also think the focus is off

wat type of f stop do u recommend at 180mm...
focus is by the cam, focus locked le then it snap...

thks..

wat type of f stop do u recommend at 180mm...
focus is by the cam, focus locked le then it snap...

thks..

depending on your camera to subject distance, but normally you would want more DOF
as much as you can get to have more of your subject sharp

after you focus, your camera might have moved or your subject might have moved, so the focus may have gone out

shutter lag is the time when you press the shutter button to the actual taking of the picture

google "shutter lag" to find out more

depending on your camera to subject distance, but normally you would want more DOF
as much as you can get to have more of your subject sharp

after you focus, your camera might have moved or your subject might have moved, so the focus may have gone out

shutter lag is the time when you press the shutter button to the actual taking of the picture

google "shutter lag" to find out more

ah, i see... understand... i will try again when possible... thks so much for the guidance..
but i am really amaze with the latest equipment now... not so much job need to do, just crop... hee... older stuff need so much more understanding...

oh, shutter lag, must be... cos i got to hold breath then shoot... erm... how sniper shot huh... dnt need to hold breath ma.... hmm...

see this thread for macro stuff

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524575

my shot there was taken with my old D70, so in order to shoot well, you need to understand the basics first
technology will just make it a little easier, but without basic knowledge ....

huh!!!!!!!! amazing sharpness... D70... what lens... cant believe what i see man... cool... i knw got to learn... but till date, i still not master my pop up flash... let alone my manual external flash... sightzzz.... think i better go back to pop up flash first... and drop the macro for now...

thks again...

huh!!!!!!!! amazing sharpness... D70... what lens... cant believe what i see man... cool... i knw got to learn... but till date, i still not master my pop up flash... let alone my manual external flash... sightzzz.... think i better go back to pop up flash first... and drop the macro for now...

thks again...

that was with an old Nikon 105mm AF
i have since changed to a Nikon 105mm AF-D

dedicated macro lenses are super sharp :thumbsup:

What auto focus setting are you using? Are you also using the centre AF point?

It's out of focus, and the lighting is not only too little, but very FLAT as well.

thks again...

On the contrary, you'll only get better if you keep practicing with that setup.

that was with an old Nikon 105mm AF
i have since changed to a Nikon 105mm AF-D

dedicated macro lenses are super sharp :thumbsup:

mine is dedicated macro len too ley... but never mind.. when i hv time, i will put ur teaching in practice... cos my hse got many tiny little bugs... LOL... thks again...

What auto focus setting are you using? Are you also using the centre AF point?

auto focus is af lock (one shot type) at centre point... does this play a part... if yes, in what sense... thks...

It's out of focus, and the lighting is not only too little, but very FLAT as well.

its out of focus ah, really ah... but the spidey is smaller than my focus centre sq... but the camera got lock focus, then i can snap de ma... lighting wise i can use off cam flash to try again next time i see the spidey... regarding lighting flat, u mean need to use diffuser isit... focus since its based on camera... do u mean i need to manual focus... but the spidey is always moving around de ley... cheers...

On the contrary, you'll only get better if you keep practicing with that setup.

not sure which part u r trying to tell me... but for my P mode, the flash wnt knw how to auto compensate the value... but seems like on newer body that i use, the exposure is always nice... seems like the flash will auto compensate.... so for my camera, i need to review every shots and adjust... seems like a lot of work for me... like this lor...

ah, i see... understand... i will try again when possible... thks so much for the guidance..
but i am really amaze with the latest equipment now... not so much job need to do, just crop... hee... older stuff need so much more understanding...

oh, shutter lag, must be... cos i got to hold breath then shoot... erm... how sniper shot huh... dnt need to hold breath ma.... hmm...
i'm using a 5 year old camera, and my shots straight from the camera can match those from new cameras.

it's not about the camera. it's about how well you know your equipment until adjusting settings becomes second nature to you.

i'm using a 5 year old camera, and my shots straight from the camera can match those from new cameras.

it's not about the camera. it's about how well you know your equipment until adjusting settings becomes second nature to you.

which model u using huh... mine is a 2003 10D... my sharpest setting is only +2... i only got 4 setting to play with, all is up to +2 steps only... i tried all those le... i can live with my daily shots.. just that i now trying to figure out the macro len... really miles off the pic posted... hope to learn from you more ley... :p cheers

macro shots IMHO must use manual focus, the details on your subject are just too small for the sensors

the technique i use is to focus with the forward and backward movement of the camera
this is done once i have pre focused the lens

Status
Not open for further replies.