Status
Not open for further replies.

ninelives

Jan 16, 2002
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
Taken from http://quit-smoking-help.com/smokingbad.htm

-------------
I can quit whenever I want. It’s not a habit. I just smoke to stay social. Sound familiar? Many smokers do not comprehend the implications of what smoking does to them and to those around them. Studies have conclusively shown that not only are cigarettes addictive, but they cause cancer. Period. There are no ifs, ands, or buts to this statement. We aren’t just talking about lung cancer, but also cancer of the mouth, throat, bladder, pancreas, and kidney. There are over 4,000 chemicals in cigarettes including nicotine, arsenic, ammonia, carbon monoxide, and formaldehyde. Everyday smokers light up and partake in the bounty of chemicals and poisons that are known to kill. Smoking is the leading preventable cause of death in the U.S. and over 400,000 Americans die each year from tobacco-related causes. According to the American Lung Association, one in four smokers die prematurely because of their smoking habit. Smoking also costs the U.S. at least $97.2 billion yearly in health care costs and lost productivity.

The most popular of all of the poisons found in cigarettes is nicotine. This is the addictive substance that causes people to continue this deadly habit. Every time you inhale cigarette smoke, trace amounts of chemicals travel through blood, to your brain, and other parts of your body. In addition to cancer, these chemicals can cause chronic bronchitis, pneumonia, emphysema, vascular disease, heart disease, stroke, head and neck tumors, and decaying oral health. That’s right – smoking makes your breath smell bad, stains your teeth, and smokers get cavities three times more than non-smokers. Forget about looking good. You’ll get more wrinkles from smoking, your hormone levels will be lowered, and you’ll smell bad. When you catch a cold, it will last longer and that’s right, you’ll smell bad.

Even if you disregard the obvious medical risk associated with smoking, you cannot dismiss the effects of smoking on others. Secondhand smoke, the smoke from other people’s cigarettes, can harm the health of those that aren’t smokers. This is true of smoking in public places or at home around family members. Secondhand smoke can also cause cancer and heart disease in adults. For children, secondhand smoke increases the risk of developing reactive airway disease, also known as asthma. In addition, between one-half and one million asthmatic children have their condition worsened by exposure to secondhand smoke. The effects of cigarettes on the fetus in the womb are alarming. Cigarette smoking during pregnancy can cause up to 14% of all pre-term deliveries, approximately 20-30% of low birth weight babies, breathing problems, and up to 10% of fatal illness among infants.

The risks of smoking during pregnancy have been well documented. A smoking mother inhales nicotine and carbon monoxide from her cigarette, which is then transferred to her baby through the placenta. This prevents the fetus from getting necessary nutrients and oxygen needed to grow. After the baby is born, if the mother breastfeeds, nicotine continues to get into the infant through breast milk as well as the air that the baby breathes. Simply reducing frequency of smoking may not benefit the baby as the mother may inhale more or take deeper puffs, thereby achieving the same amount of nicotine as before. Therefore, the best way to protect the unborn child is to quit smoking entirely. One should quit smoking prior to conception, if at all possible, or at least during the first trimester of pregnancy to lower the child’s risks due to smoking.
------------------

Now, my personal view : I think most people smoke because they don't know how is it like if you are hit with cancer or heart disease. They don't know wat pain is. It is like when you are a kid, you run and jump or dash like no tomorrow but when you fall down and hurt yourself seriously, you will be careful next time. It is like a dog bite you for nothing, you will avoid a dog or afraid of dog next time.

I was once a heavy smoker, for 10 years. But I quited recently due to tonsillitis, I was not able to eat or drink for 2 weeks ! Imagine you feel like someone cutting your throat with a penknife when you drink or eat. That feeling sucks.

I advice for those heavy smoker, please at least try to quit, I know it wasn't easy, it sounds like impossible but at least try. To learn how to quit, click on the link I provided above.

Hope this help.

i was a heavy smoker since sec3, and stopped at the age of around 35..about 20 years of burning lungs...stopped due to SAH (sub-arachnoid haemorragh)..and smoking really kill...

those still smoking...please quit, not for others, but for yourself...

it's not macho to smoke, and you really stink, if you smoke (realised that after quitting), and smoking does not help you to relief stress...

SAH (sub-arachnoid haemorragh) - some called it stroke, brain stroke...etc

actually i got a piece of advice for heavy smokers. make a trip down to Body Worlds. pay special attention to the lungs section. confirm you will stop or cut down on smoking.

I was a smoker for more than a decade as well.

I quit for the sole same reason as Ninelives, haven't looked back since. My sore throats were so bad that i fell ill due to sore throats, throat infections and tonsillitis, every one or two weeks.

And the lungs you see at Body worlds will indeed "shock" you into quitting i hope.

None the less, quit for your own good. It has been almost 2 years since i quit smoking, haven't really fallen ill due to sore throats.

Think about your loved ones.

Larry said:
actually i got a piece of advice for heavy smokers. make a trip down to Body Worlds. pay special attention to the lungs section. confirm you will stop or cut down on smoking.

the coal miners have it worse than smokers.

But my piece of advise from a ex heavy smoker, i love my life more than ever since i'm older now. the carefree me is over. also for god sake is $7.50 to $8.50 per pack!!! 1 month is $255, one year can buy 1 to 2 L lens liao! :bigeyes:

i took my first puff while in uni many years back, couldn't taste my food for the whole day after that.

i love food too much, so gave up smoking the following day instead. never had the urge since.

Belle&Sebastain said:
the coal miners have it worse than smokers.

But my piece of edvise from a ex heavy smoker, i love my life more than ever since i'm older now. the carefree me is over. also for god sake is $7.50 to $8.50 per pack!!! 1 month is $255, one year can buy 1 to 2 L lens liao! :bigeyes:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Good math.

lolz...
ive calulated too
tts why my frds will be buying it from DFS (overseas frds) if they come in grps... can buy at least 20 cartons for me

wahhahaahhahahaa

well.. smoking spur up my inspiration :thumbsup:

no wonder one of your tooth turn black..... :blah:

look at me, I'm all black..... :D

I have no idea why smokers want to kill themselves.... Its just like taking a knife and stabbing urself, except, much more comfortable..

but.. do think of your loved ones.. and innocent people around you who breathe in your second hand smoke.. which is infact more harmful than the actual smoke.. sometimes when i take the lift.. there're some smokers inside smoking.. disgusting smell.. feel like slapping them.. kill yourself, don't kill me..

ahh... then they may rebutt saying the air does not belong to me.. its their freedom to do so..

sigh..

it's all about choices,everyone has a right to choose wad they wanna do..
It's like eating oily food which causes serious health problems too,but so many pp still eating it..

last time in gedong got this SWO he hates smoking but is a drunkard...kinda ironic i guess

clive said:
last time in gedong got this SWO he hates smoking but is a drunkard...kinda ironic i guess

indeed, most drunken do smoke. Those drunken very solid, afternoon already sitting at kopitiam drinking beer.

i saw two men already started drinking beer at 7:30 AM @ myhouse.coffeshop. :thumbsup:

I can't say that smoking shortens life - my grandma smoked from 8 to 80! The bad news about her was that her last 20 years were coughing and the final 10 were pure lungs, throat and mouth torture. Still, the hardy woman of two generations ago held out until 80.

I love her dearly, it was really painful to see her not being able to live comfortably in her last years.

RuthBaby said:
lolz...
ive calulated too
tts why my frds will be buying it from DFS (overseas frds) if they come in grps... can buy at least 20 cartons for me

wahhahaahhahahaa

well.. smoking spur up my inspiration :thumbsup:

don't get caught wor..

RuthBaby said:
tourists can buy.. dun worrie :bsmilie:
aniwae.. decided to quit it after CNY

i hope my will is strong enuff... recently my sinus is back again.. so xin ku :cry:

though you dunno me and i dunno you, but i would like to say that, if you want to quit smoking, just quit here and now. just do it!

many smokers will say that they like to slowly cut down lah....and what not, but all those are just excuses...just quit.

start by throwing away all the lighters, ashtrays, and all remainder cigarettes. tell yourself that "from this second onwards, i'm not going to touch another stick of tobacco..."

no need substitutes, excuses...put the first step forward, and the rest is quit easy...

by the way, that's how i eventually quitted...since 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.