Why Slides?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.A.

Oct 30, 2004
Slides are more expensive and I've never tried using them. When compared to negatives, can anyone tell me what are the differences. :sweatsm:

slide have less exposure latitude than negative film

If you want to learn and see your mistakes or perfection, go for slides.
If you are shooting for the print industry, slides are the only way to go.
Drum scans from negs are no good.

Slide are positive image, when mounted, we call it slide, when is unmount we call it transparency.

And slide is good for offset printing as Ortega pointed out.
Photographers are encourage to shoot slide, because is WYSIWYG, and it has narrower exposure latitude, exposure has to be accurate.

Hope this help.

to print slides however...u have to go thru an internegative ...creating a neg from the slide...results in some lost of colours...

Witness said:
to print slides however...u have to go thru an internegative ...creating a neg from the slide...results in some lost of colours...
Not true, you can make print direct from slide, but is more expensive.

Thanks guys for the input. :)

Can slides be developed & printed from any photo shops?
How does it look like out of the lab? Cut into individual pics with the rectangular paper holder or is it just like any negatives. :sweatsm:

When you send a roll 35mm for E6 process, you have to tell them mount or no mount.

When you send a slide for scanning or printing, they have to remove the mounting.

My last roll of transparency was shot 2,3 years back, and I shoot 120 trans mostly, so things might change now.

Hope this help.

T.A. said:
Slides are more expensive and I've never tried using them. When compared to negatives, can anyone tell me what are the differences. :sweatsm:

The picture is still worth more than a thousand words. Shoot a roll and view it using loupe and lightbox ... then be amazed. Darren showed some slides to me some three years ago when I was still shooting negative film ... after which it was the point of no return ... :bsmilie:

Adam Goi said:
The picture is still worth more than a thousand words. Shoot a roll and view it using loupe and lightbox ... then be amazed. Darren showed some slides to me some three years ago when I was still shooting negative film ... after which it was the point of no return ... :bsmilie:
I just bought a 15x loupe and looked at my 6x7 slides... Its so detailed that I saw what people were wearing and what they were doing even when they were approx. a kilometre away! Now that's detailed! :bigeyes:

the excitement of viewing a nicely exposed slides on a lightbox with a loupe is like sex :bsmilie:

hard to describe,have to try it yourself :heart:

kex said:
the excitement of viewing a nicely exposed slides on a lightbox with a loupe is like sex :bsmilie:

hard to describe,have to try it yourself :heart:
Oh btw, just to let you know, I'm not the only one being amazed at the shots...

Right now my dad is going 'Holy s***! Holy s****! I can see what that guy's doing!' Don't get me wrong, its just him looking at my slides... :bsmilie:

nickmak said:
I just bought a 15x loupe and looked at my 6x7 slides... Its so detailed that I saw what people were wearing and what they were doing even when they were approx. a kilometre away! Now that's detailed! :bigeyes:

i took a night shot of fullerton near cavenagh bridge opposite the hotel with a 4x5 slide few weeks back.

when i examine the slides with my loupe,can even see the hotel guest combing hair! :bigeyes: every wall texture and cracks can be seen clearly :sweatsm:

can't imagine the details a bigger piece of slide above 4x5 will yield.

Three years back, I bought a pack of slide film by mistake for a tour. I didn't know what a slide film look like then. After my tour, I went to develop it and to my big surprise, the lab gave me a few packs of mounted slides!!! I asked them why did they develop it into slides, and the lab guy told me I gave them film meant for slides.
Anyway, when I look at what I had taken I was very impressed. While they are only snapshots, the colours just simply jump out at you. I bought a 4x loupe to view it and find that slides seem to have that surreal feel. It is very 3D, unlike prints which look "flat". As Adam Goi mentioned, once you have seen the slides, there is no returning.
Even now I occasionally take landscape pictures using slides with my trusty Canon EOS300. I'm just waiting to save enough to buy a scanner for slides.

Slides. Nuff said above. Reason why my digicams are collecting dust.

Picture of a 120 slide VS 135 slide on my lightbox:

sizeComparison.jpg

My thoughts on some films I've used

Alvin

Ah, no one has advised T.A. to project the slides onto a proper screen in a darkened room ... if you think looking through a loupe on top of a lightbox is, to quote kex, "like sex", then this will be the proverbial "better than sex" thingie :bsmilie: ...

Seriously ... I haven't shot a roll of negative for more than 5 years after someone showed me a series of projected slides. And these are just 35mm ... just think of the detail you can get in a medium format, as nickmak and alvin alluded to.

For that very reason, I'm still keeping my film bodies even though I shoot mostly digital now.

Wanna add, why are slides considered more expensive?

Say we compare Velvia 100F, Velvia 50, Kodak E100VS, these are the more expensive slides, against say, Fuji Reala 100. I think the price is similar? (sorry if the pricing is out, as I bulk roll my own slides)

E6 processing for slides varies. I get mine done at Ruby, I think it's 4.20? RGB is 5 dollar plus, but it's done in 3-4 hours. Colour lab @ adelphi, i was told is around 6?

For negatives, if you wanna develop C41 and print all, may cost more VS slide film + E6 processing. Unless you develop negs, then scan to CD... may be cheaper, maybe not.

Still, negs can't be beat in certain situations where slides die. E.g. mixed lighting, or difficult exposures. This is where I feel digital rocks: white balance. No need for CC filters.

For slides, I only choose keepers to mount; seldom print. Rest goes into my big file of "didn't make the cut".

Alvin

Status
Not open for further replies.