Why Singaporeans cannot move far

Status
Not open for further replies.

theITguy

Sep 19, 2003
In this small world
Visit site
The numbers seem to be great, the facilities are comfortable, the environment is wonderful, but why does Singapore not moving far? It seems to be lying on one factor, Singaporeans (just like you and me)cannot think out of the box.

At Mount Faber Safra Ya Kun, I ordered a coffee, egg plus bread set. Going to read up on one of my book and enjoy the nice cosy Singapore style coffee stall with aircon. I took out my newly bought digital SLR, try to take some pictures for non-commercial viewing. A staff came over to me, telling me photography is not allowed.

In my mind, I am thinking, if I am a terrorist, I will probably use a camera phone, pretend to take photos with a group of friends. If I am a professional photographer, I will not even dare to do it without the risk of people finding out, losing my reputation and getting sued.

Now imagine I am a tourist, an Ang Moh from USA, UK, Germany or France, do you think they will stop me? If a tourist can take pictures, post on the Internet to let others know how good Ya Kun is, why cant Singaporeans? If WE Singaporeans do not even allow to showcase our very own home product, how do we let others know it is good?

Modern day business is still very much based on word of mouth, whether physically or via electronical means.

Within 5 mins, I finished my food ordered, talked to the staff and get their Assistant Operation Manager, Rebecca's contact, as the staff cannot seems to explain to me why they have to tell me and spoiled my mood (without telling me clearly what I can do or not do with the pictures).

This country is sick, the people are sick from not knowing how to provide good service and thinking out of the box, how powerful word of mouth marketing is.

=================================
Oh I lament for these people
Because they treat others like fools
They are like fools

Rules they set to keep themselves safe
By the same rules they failed to progress
The sun is setting
But the seeds are not sow

The golden years are over
For there is nothing that we can do
That the others cannot
Unless we move ahead
We will drop behind forever
=================================

Added: It is not about the right of the customer, it is about how customer is treated. Sure you can tell me to stop taking photos, but do so in the right manner. There is no photography rights without a contract/agreement to do so. This say much about how our people are trained to provide service. To go the extra mile, basic technique is not taught, how to go the extra mile?

Do you mind sharing with us what photos you were trying to take? I think it does make a difference to how we will respond.

Hmm I doubt the pics he took will affect the discussion of the thread. He is probably just trying to share with us his view on Singapore's service, which really does suck.

Hi guys,

I am sitting and with the food stuff on my table. I just want to take a picture of the set, maybe in a nice setting.

Yes, I know I do not have the right to demand photgraphy, but it is the way they handle it. Being right does not mean they do not need to be tactful. Being wrong (me) does not mean the other person do not need to listen to me. I was told "Photography is not allowed". Will it be better if the auntie ask me "Are you using this for commercial purposes?" and I would have answered "No, but I may post it on the Internet so that when foreigners come, they will know the good stuff from Ya Kun."

It will be better if the store is operated by machines or robots, it will not disappoint me that Singaporeans are trying to provide services with no services.

Singapore service is the pits, the sellers seem to think that they can get away with dispensing poor service to their customers. Its almost like they believe that they are the ones who are entitled to our money which is bs. on another note next time they try to bs you about no shooting tell them to call the cops if they think its illegal...

It seems to be lying on one factor, Singaporeans (just like you and me)cannot think out of the box.

This country is sick, the people are sick from not knowing how to provide good service and thinking out of the box, how powerful word of mouth marketing is.

to be fair, our service is still marginally better than in some europe countries

of course it depends on the stores you go to though

but we are probably a far cry from certain places

i have to agree with you though - the people are a major factor in moving forward.. and if there is no willingness.. then one country can only go so far before it encounters limitations by such factors.

to be fair, our service is still marginally better than in some europe countries

of course it depends on the stores you go to though

but we are probably a far cry from certain places

i have to agree with you though - the people are a major factor in moving forward.. and if there is no willingness.. then one country can only go so far before it encounters limitations by such factors.

and which countries might that be?:think:

This has nothing to do with service, it sounds more like a proprietary's policy of asking customers not to take photos. I really don't see why they need to explain to you why you cannot take photos nor expect the hour rated worker to know how to answer your questions. You are really not paying them for anything if it has something to do with photography, and all the more likely they are probably offering the service to all their clients of not getting disturbed by some photographer taking their photos.

and which countries might that be?:think:

i once stood around in a london store, which was totally empty
and glared at a bunch of 4 salesgirls talking about nails nonstop

very entertaining, relatively branded clothing store, and their employees sit around and talk about nails :heart:

Next time visit "Fish & Co" Singapura plaza branch. Last year my wife bought a small cake along to celebrate my birthday there. The staff was so nice, When he saw the cake, he offered to keep it in the fridge for us till we finish our dinner, den he bought it out, light candles and even gave me a complimentary ice-cream with sparkles. It really made our day. Den He took out a polaroid, snap a photo for us and gave it to me. He even use my DSLR to help us take a few family photo. His photography skill quite good too.
:thumbsup:

What's more disgraceful than a fellow Singaporean mocking his very own country.

Apparently, some of you just did not have the opportunity to bump into nicer singaporeans. Take my experience for example. I was snapping away at punngol MRT station along with some of my friends. We got the attention of the control station crew. They told us firmly not to take any pictures. They did not explain to us, and neither did we felt that there was a need to.

The train arrived, and along came another MRT staff. He boarded with us and actually had a pretty decent chat with us. From where we were going to places in punggol that were great for photo taking. He did mention about the terrorist and therefore they did not want to take any chances.

We don't look like terrorists. But they are just doing their job.

very entertaining, relatively branded clothing store, and their employees sit around and talk about nails :heart:

Because you are non-white?:think:

This has nothing to do with service, it sounds more like a proprietary's policy of asking customers not to take photos. I really don't see why they need to explain to you why you cannot take photos nor expect the hour rated worker to know how to answer your questions. You are really not paying them for anything if it has something to do with photography, and all the more likely they are probably offering the service to all their clients of not getting disturbed by some photographer taking their photos.

i don't think they will get disturbed by ts taking photos of his ya kun and coffe..

and the way you put it, sounds like ts should pay if he wants take photo of his own ya kun.. apparently, the ya kun cafe doesnt lose anything if ts take photo of his own meal.. except if ts take photo of someone in the cafe, and he or she get disturbed maybe then the caffe should advise ts to not take photo anymore..

aiya that's called lazy...was it harrod's?

That's not true that it only happens here in Singapore where you cannot take photos in some places.

In the name of terrorism, there's a blank cheque where you cannot take photos overseas too.

I remember this silence sky nick...

i don't think they will get disturbed by ts taking photos of his ya kun and coffe..

and the way you put it, sounds like ts should pay if he wants take photo of his own ya kun.. apparently, the ya kun cafe doesnt lose anything if ts take photo of his own meal.. except if ts take photo of someone in the cafe, and he or she get disturbed maybe then the caffe should advise ts to not take photo anymore..

If I were sitting next to him or if I am in his line of sight, I will feel perturbed and so will many of you, especially if there are ladies around.

I am not suggesting that he should pay money for taking his own photos, I am saying that he did not pay anything associated with photo taking, so why should he demand an explanation? He paid for other things like food hygiene, ambience, quality etc, but nothing to do with photo taking or the right to know the policy of the business.

So what gives him the right to question an establishment or start knocking Singapore down again?

Cannot move far?

Of course we can. We just don't have the want-to-move-far attitude.

There's no motivation to move far. Simple as that.

1. How does one make a leap from being refused permission for photography in a restaurant to generalising that S'poreans cannot think out of the box and cannot go far?

2. If it was me, I'd have carried on shooting, see whether they value their policy enough to refund my $$ and eject me from the restaurant.

3. If they did that, a Youtube video of this would be great.

4. If they did not believe enough in their policy, then that would say something about the restaurant manager too.

The numbers seem to be great, the facilities are comfortable, the environment is wonderful, but why does Singapore not moving far? It seems to be lying on one factor, Singaporeans (just like you and me)cannot think out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.