Why Singaporean drivers don't signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbangR

Jun 17, 2008
I've been driving in the states for 12 years.
Coming here, I notice that the tests to get driving license are very complicated and difficult in comparison there.
However, the quality of drivers that these tests produced is worse.

For example,
80-90% of drivers on the road do not signal when they want to
a. change lanes
b. turn
c. make a temporary stop to pick up cellphone

Why do you think this is? Maybe there is a cultural difference that I am not aware.

Last edited:
Welcome lol to Singapore well Thats nothing special u will be more amazed of how our local cabbies pick up customer or change lanes

They thnik they paid for the road tax, so they own the road?

Probably just lazy and self centre, don't care about other road users.

They thnik they paid for the road tax, so they own the road?

Probably just lazy and self centre, don't care about other road users.

Agree. They're just plain self centred, and so impatient.

But I think there are also patient and courteous drivers around.

ego mentality, self-centred and plain inconsideration to others.. i guess it's just the attitude?

no wonder you can hear so many car horn sounds everywhere

patient and courteous drivers, sure there are, maybe 1 every 500?

Why? Can't really say - perhaps it's the kiasu mentality. Selfishness.
I sold my last car in 2007, after 10 years, and I think my blood pressure has gone down.
One of the reasons (yes, it's a bogus reason) drivers don't signal when changing lanes is because when you do, the guy behind you in that lane speeds up to block you! Ridiculous? Yes, but it happens all the time -- not everyone does it, but enough. Oh, I believe there's a $70 fine for changing lanes without signalling, IF you get caught. But I'd agree with your estimate that 80-90% don't signal.
The driving tests may be difficult, but they're largely not real-world situations. Especially the laughably-named 'Advanced Theory' test

I sold my last car in 2007, after 10 years, and I think my blood pressure has gone down.
One of the reasons (yes, it's a bogus reason) drivers don't signal when changing lanes is because when you do, the guy behind you in that lane speeds up to block you! Ridiculous? Yes, but it happens all the time -- not everyone does it, but enough. Oh, I believe there's a $70 fine for changing lanes without signalling, IF you get caught. But I'd agree with your estimate that 80-90% don't signal.
The driving tests may be difficult, but they're largely not real-world situations. Especially the laughably-named 'Advanced Theory' test

yeah so true.. I don't understand why they must rush forward... it's so dumb..

I agree with you.

Recently I somehow realised one reason maybe why people don't signal. Haha. I also realise that many times when we signal and wanna change lanes, some idiots on the next lane (usually quite far away) will accelerate and try not to let u change lanes. Some even horn like we just threw a cow their way. So without signalling, maybe those drivers think it will reduce the chance of accident. Haha.

What is the point of making tests so difficult and costly?

My wife has been driving for 6 years. But, when she wanted to transfer her just-expired license here, they treated her like she has never driven before. She then has to take the $1000 driving lessons, which she doesn't need. The fact that she had a driving license before did not matter. In the end, she did not want to get it.

during my time taking driving lessons and test, to give signal has to use right hand... so I always do that after I passed.

but nowadays by the time I opened the window, I have already finish the turn.... so don't need give signal liao lor.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Actually no need to take extra driving lesson here since your wife have experience in driving.

All she need is to take a theory test and can convert to SG License. Have you to confirm this with the test or driving centers?

Well, you need to look at the bigger picture.

In a country, the driving culture cannot change overnight and it has to evolve.

I too moved back from States and spent some time at NZ too, going back to singapore in 1998 was really a very frustrating experience on the road.

But having been posted overseas for 1-2 years and back to Singapore a few times, I have noticed the general driving culture has evolved to being more safe.

I attribute this to the approach taken by Traffice Police and the driving schools.

In the past, say pre-2000s, most driving instructors are people who simply can drive and teach you how to drive. Their standard is simply, "Can drive can already". And make to repeat the test route few times.

It has now become what in the States call "Pro-active and defensive driving". Not only you are taught how to drive, you are also taught the factors surrounding every situations.

But still, we still have a few generations before this new approach who don't believe in such "theories" and influence their close ones that driving is just the 'art' of operating a vehicle to reach destination.

I would say, give it another 15-20 more years...

I've been here for 3 years, and could not agree more. My HDB block is just next to petrol station now, and I have to cross both both exit/in gate. I have to be very carefull to cross, specially because most of them do not signal to turn in to station.

Last time I just crossed and the driver seems agitated because of me :). Come on uncle, you don't signal so how do I know :dunno:

during my time taking driving lessons and test, to give signal has to use right hand... so I always do that after I passed.

but nowadays by the time I opened the window, I have already finish the turn.... so don't need give signal liao lor.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Super old-bird! :bsmilie:

long before lewis or alonso could smell singapore's tar, we already had our own homegrown F1 drivers....;)

agreed?:bsmilie:

Very Well Said cant agree more haha we have our own local Cabbies Uncles and Aunties (F1 and WRC Drivers) how can lewis or Alonso fight the 2 can onli Smell Dust, and tar bro haha

Very Well Said cant agree more haha we have our own local Cabbies Uncles and Aunties (F1 and WRC Drivers) how can lewis or Alonso fight the 2 can onli Smell Dust, and tar bro haha

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:
there are dumb moments you'll see amongst the Evos,WREXs or modified hatchbacks these days coz the drivers are mostly young ah bengs or mats who just have deep pockets. so, yeah man, the Trophy has always been for the 2 drivers...amazing:sweatsm:

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:
there are dumb moments you'll see amongst the Evos,WREXs or modified hatchbacks these days coz the drivers are mostly young ah bengs or mats who just have deep pockets. so, yeah man, the Trophy has always been for the 2 drivers...amazing:sweatsm:

lol hey dun like tat ler i drove a subaru ler haha but i m not young ah bengs hor.

I dun belongs to tat cat, but frankly speaking some young drivers sometimes really like nothing better to do than jio pple to race haha. Waste petrol waste time haha

Status
Not open for further replies.