Jun 4, 2003
Sydney
Singapore vs Japan soon...

What's your take?

How big a scoreline will we lose by?

;p

my take 5-1, Japan win of course

this match shd have been played at National statium,
Japan side had confirmed at least 10,000 ticket from Japan, then again poor planning and ended up in Jalan Behsar......, could have given our fan something to cheer and our economy a little boast with all those fan travelling all the way from Japan......

frankly I have almost given up on Singapore soccer,
poor administration by FAS, player neber perform........ etc
too long a list and dun bother abt the developement anymore

the reason y i still follow on and off its becoz I am SINGAPOREAN,
hopefully one fine day we will start to play well at least in ASEAN game
until then.....

well....but take a look at the whole South East Asia..
all of them improved except US!

We have got a lousy FA, lousy players who cannot perform.

You pay them too much, they got money go cheong/clubbing, buy motobike/car, sing song play guitar, sian char bors.

You pay them too little, they kao beh kao bu...say singapore cost of living high.

I think no need to send the whole Japan team with all the big stars. Think send Albirex can beat the national team already.

akane said:
We have got a lousy FA, lousy players who cannot perform.

You pay them too much, they got money go cheong/clubbing, buy motobike/car, sing song play guitar, sian char bors.

You pay them too little, they kao beh kao bu...say singapore cost of living high.

I think no need to send the whole Japan team with all the big stars. Think send Albirex can beat the national team already.

as a parent.
I will not allow my son to be a full time football player. :nono:
Study 1st, unless he cannot study .. then may be.. :think:
not every1 can be Fadi.

hmmm... they will even score a goal?

5-0 to Japan man... even without their big international stars...

Its pretty hard to build die hard fans in the SLeague...and becasue it is hard to 'build' fans, the soccer naturally wont improve. I always feel the fans play an impt role in the development of the team. Team Singapore is suffering as a consequence of the failure of the SLeague.

If I live in braddell, do i support balestier or home united? What would make me scream my lungs out, paint my face, take a flare and run round the stadium for my team? Hai...difficult... we are too small to have a pro league.

Hope FAS should rethink the strategy... perhaps tie up with other FAs in SEA to form a SEA league or something..

Really miss those Kallang roar days... the last time I went to watch Singapore Vs Malaysia at National Stadium, fans were laughing and jeering our team..

hope by 2010, dun talk about the world cup, i just hope we can draw with Thailand.

yeah, I think that's part of the reason why sleague failed.
was at bishan stadium watching home united vs albirex niigata. when home united scored the last minute equaliser, you can see almost the entire stadium was celebrating. you don't see that kind of thing in home united vs tampines rovers do you?

we must always fight against outsiders then we will unite as one.
that's why malaysia cup days was so memorable..it's always singapore against them...yesterday did brought back a little of those days..

:cry:

instead of complaining about it, please do something more constructive about it. get involved in a way or another, get your children/nephews/nieces involved in a kid's soccer league (i'm not sure if there is one around locally though) or try to do coaching. but being able to play, and being able to coach are totally different things. whether a NSA is well run or not, doesn't stop you from contributing in some other indirect forms at all. of course, when you are ready to get to the national level, other factors will come into play.

i'm speaking this on my own behalf as a pe teech, and my limited experiences working together with some NSA's. besides, it's only human nature to remember others usually (and very easily) for the bad things they've done, than the good they did.

I heard some of the singapore soccer player even fail their IPPT test...what a shame man! Like that how to win?

hmm, i wouldnt think its complaining. I guess we just miss the good old days. Hopefully with the sports school, it augurs well for our football too.

ANyway, what do we need to do to bring the standard of football up? I believe I have done my part in paying to watch Home Utd and trying to keep up with the league. You want me to coach? send my son to soccer school? cheer lead during matches? Hmm, I seriously dun think I will. Definitely cannot blame the citizens for the standard of soccer.

Blame the FAS blame the Singapore Government

Sports schools take too much time and too much money. Better spend the money and give PR to talented South American and European players and put a few local kids on the substitute bench is the fastest way...... our government (Man U too) very smart to do this.

Imagine..... Beckham from Changi Village, Zidane from Toa Payoh, Ronaldo from Jurong, Raul from Woodlands, .....

I mean, like this, with enough money we can build a dream team of players and managers, and make it to the next World Cup Finals and maybe go one better than Korea!......all this without us dropping a bead of sweat training in the heat and humidity.

(all toungue in cheek)

laugh said:
Definitely cannot blame the citizens for the standard of soccer.

subtracting the foreign players, who are the other players? if they are not called citizens, who are they?

XXX Boy said:
I heard some of the singapore soccer player even fail their IPPT test...what a shame man! Like that how to win?

the ippt test is not the Gold standard for testing fitness. it's only applicable to SAF's criteria. there was a time when i could run sub 9 minute 2.4's, but can't pass the SBJ. was i that unfit? please note that in the definition of fitness, a lot of people do NOT know what should be included, and what not to be included. i remember asking my PC during BMT when i failed my SBJ - he told me it was useful, in a scenario when a person has to clear, say, a large drain by jumping. in the right state of mind, who would jump off using two feet placed together?

the true purpose of the "fitness" tests have been lost somewhere.

Say wanna enter World Cup in Year 2010??? Haha..makes me wanna laugh like hell man! I would say maybe Year 2100...hahaha....wait long long!
It is only a dream...a day-dream to enter World Cup with this kind of standard in Year 2010.
When I see them play is like seeing some small kids playing on the field, no standard at all!
Even those Brazilians kids (I saw on TV) play better than them...better ball-control and etc.
I switch channel when I saw S-league on the TV, waste of my time!

mpenza said:
no talent, no passion?
"Passion" is definitely what is lacking, from the FA to the players to the fans. Passion is what drives success, although some talent is definitely needed as well. If only the FAS had some committed and passionate members in its EXCO, then we could be singing a different tune. As of now, the players, and the FAS management seem indifferent and lack of drive to perform. Maybe its time for a rethink of our so called "Goal 2010" program and a massive shakedown of the top management? :think:

mpenza said:
no talent, no passion?

no passion is the word!!

Passion plus physical fittness and team work could get us to a certain level of success,
technial skill will further enhance our performances,
atm we are lacking in both aspect.....

XXX_Boy,

remember, no sport can attain excellence if the environment it is "stuck" in has non-supportive crowds. i remember watching on tv a few days back, about middlesborough being in the doldrums in the 80s and 90s (something like that, i'm not a soccer fan), but look where the supporters brought it up to now. no supporters => no funds => no star players etc.

why criticize so much? do try look at the bigger picture. if you are such a good soccer player/manager, please do something and rally like-minded folks to start a team that every townsfolk - all the ah pek, ah ma's, uncles, aunties, and children will know of, then that's probably a feasible yardstick for your success. personally, i find the situation more like a problem of having enough critical mass to get going. look at the malaysia cup days. didn't the national team do well then? then we had the alistair edwards/abbas saad heartaches, michel "banana" vana pulling off match fixing. sorry i don't know about the 80's, was a blur kid in primary school then myself. at least for the early 90's, it was really evident of a national pride in the soccer team, not because of win and loss, but rather because the team represent the nation. but now? when the team wins, on the whole, singaporeans are lacklustre in celebration (other than those betting heavily), or would generally jeer the team. are they REALLY interested in the game? it's not about the winning AND losing, it's about the mindsets of the people who are looking at it. soccer is a game where 2 teams play - you either win or lose (in those big matches, not regular league matches of course!).

you may want to learn some issues regarding nationalism and olympism from one of my lecturers, i'm sure he can enlighten you on some aspects of sports ideology.

akane said:
Singapore vs Japan soon...

What's your take?

How big a scoreline will we lose by?

;p

in your existing mindset, you are only thinking of losing. why not a chance of a draw? or even an upset?

you have to change your mindset. like in a court, no one is guilty until proven so. likewise, play out the match, then decide who will win, or lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.