Why shutter count is so important when buying off second hand???

Status
Not open for further replies.

js_chia

Jul 9, 2002
Singapore, Singapore
Visit site
Hi, newbie here.

I realized that everyone is very concern with the shutter count when coming to buy a second hand DSLR from CS. Other than the number, what is it that you are looking for in the shutter count??

it show how often the guy shoots...

So is that good or bad? What's the impact to the camera itself? Higher wear-and-tear???

high shutter usually is bad...imagine that guy clock 100k in 6mths...man...u are looking at a camera that is really wore out...

So is that good or bad? What's the impact to the camera itself? Higher wear-and-tear???
do you happen to be selling your camera?

No. I happen to buy one from fellow CSer(Tazy):). A D70 kit set with SB-800 + etc...
Just wondering if higher shutter count will affect the photo taken. Seems like it doesn't...:dunno:

Yes it doesn't affect the photo.
The shutter have life span.
After you reach certain amount, it will break and need to change it. :)

No. I happen to buy one from fellow CSer(Tazy):). A D70 kit set with SB-800 + etc...
Just wondering if higher shutter count will affect the photo taken. Seems like it doesn't...:dunno:
D70 is a very good cam,i regreted selling off mine.
So enjoy shooting on your D70.:)

i think it depends on how high the shutter count is related to the time.
high shutter count in short period is bad :(
high shutter count over a longer period is not as bad. :)

No la, the shutter count can mean a number of things, but usage is definitely reflected in his shutter count. If it is high it just means that he's been using it a lot, does not necessarily mean that it is abused.

So you can look at the condition. And if the shutter count is very very high, you might want to consider not buying the camera, or at least try to hack down the price, since it is possible that you will have to replace the shutter unit yourself after a while if it breaks down after you get it.

Shutter count itself doesnt affect your image quality.

the image should remain equally good, assuming sensor (another component altogether) is good, from the first shot taken, to the last shot taken before shutter gives way, which can be number XXX,XXX..

I have seen a 300D in a local institute hitting more than 300K before giving way.

For most users, you will already be too tempted for an upgrade before your shutter gives way, so no issue, enjoy shooting.

BTW I think that was no need for you to put up the nick of the person who sold you the D70 right?

I didn't put up the seller's nick to shame her or whatever. I enjoy the conversation with her and am very happy with the transaction. Just want to put her nick up to let all fellow CSer have total confidant with her.:)

Shutter count alone might be used to guage the remaining lifespan of the camera, bundled with the actual camera age, it can tell you how old the electronics really are. Cameras that are a few years old with a low shutter count is relatively ok, if the cam has been stored in a cool drybox. If its many years old, and has a high shutter count, it means the previous owner has used it alot. This means the electronics are probably more worn out and hence the camera has a greater chance of breaking down anytime soon. Our high ambient temperatures, especially when the camera has been used alot outdoors, tend to destroy electronics faster than cooler temperate climates. Even if the circuit boards are fine, the sensor may have degraded in its performance. (ie less saturated colour, increased noise etc) Replacing the shutter is then very cheap compared to replacing the sensor.

Again, I must warn that such values are very relative and cannot be used as an absolute guage. Some cameras break down right out of the box, some break down after 3 rated shutter lifespans. Some cameras have their sensors go all crazy after a few years, some loose its day 1 qualities very very slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.