Why should i pay when models are newbies???


Status
Not open for further replies.

fotoudavid

Senior Member
Mar 11, 2005
2,157
3
38
#1
Sometimes i wonder, why newbies models, be it ladies or young guys, wanna charge $$$ for a shoot???:confused:

Pretty or handsome doesn't make she/him a good model. Experience more important.
So what she is pretty, cannot perform means cannot perform.
 

Gymrat76

Senior Member
May 10, 2004
1,606
0
0
41
#2
This has been posted many times liao la...

Quite controversial... bottom line is, if you're not willing to pay, there are always other people who ARE willing to pay, so.... :confused: :bsmilie:
 

poohbear

Senior Member
Aug 11, 2004
1,163
0
0
Sengkang
#3
To pay is fine with me but why are some fresh model charging $120/3hrs ? better than average joe's pay liao lor ..
 

eric69

New Member
Dec 22, 2003
443
0
0
Global Village
#5
smurfman said:
Sometimes i wonder, why newbies models, be it ladies or young guys, wanna charge $$$ for a shoot???:confused:

Pretty or handsome doesn't make she/him a good model. Experience more important.
So what she is pretty, cannot perform means cannot perform.
Don't pay lor. Similar, why should others pay for you to take photographs? In any light, even if the models are newbies, why should they make their time to let you take photos for free?
 

arttl

New Member
Jul 20, 2004
1,365
0
0
37
Planet PJ
www.flickr.com
#6
That's when there's something call TFP for newbies. (Both photographers and models)

As for me, there's no way I'm gonna pay a model plus teach and guide her how-to-pose?! :confused:
Crazy! Real professional models should be able to execute what the photographer wants and they should deserved to be paid.

Newbies=TFP. Simple as that.

Just my view on this,

Jon

PS: I don't shoot models for a living. :)
 

reachme2003

Senior Member
Oct 6, 2003
3,735
0
0
#7
maybe, we could consider a rating system for so-called 'models'?
 

Astin

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2002
4,736
0
36
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
#8
Do u pay the fare if the taxi driver is newbie?
Do u pay the meal if the chef is newbie?
Do u pay the tution if the tutor is newbie?
 

Verywierd

New Member
May 29, 2005
242
0
0
#9
Depends on the model. While training and experience count for a lot, especially in a commercial shoot where time and performance is of the essence, the fact is that there are not many truly beautiful/photogenic people around. Don't forget, many Playboy, Penthouse etc models are picked off of the street. So you are paying for something that cannot be learned or duplicated.

Working with an amature can be interesting. They are often more willing to take instruction and do not fall back into "standard" poses that they learned from someone else.

If, on the other hand the model (male or female) is only average looking, then the question is why you as a photographer are considering shooting the model (as opposed to any other model) in the first place.

Verywierd
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#10
Goodness. Not again.

Its like telling a newbie doing his first AD Wedding shoot to do it for free cos 'he lacks the experience and needs OUR HELP to gain experience'.

I dun think anyone likes that.

As far as I'm concerned. Doing ridiculously low budget AD Weddings (we're looking at $200 for whole day plus raw material cost) or even FOC jobs (where u have to fork out on ur own for raw material!) in the name of 'gaining experience' is a whole lot of bollocks.
 

P

Phildate

Guest
#11
Astin said:
Do u pay the fare if the taxi driver is newbie?
Do u pay the meal if the chef is newbie?
Do u pay the tution if the tutor is newbie?
I will pay the taxi driver because he has been through some formal qualification that allows him to have a taxi and because he has obvious overheads.

I will pay for the meal because I have faith that the restaurant will only employ capable, well-qualified staff and if they are inexperienced, will be supervised by a trained professional.

If I was after the tuition services of a tutor, I would ask for years of experience, some sort of reference/and or formal qualification.


Pretty girls calling themselves models?? Well, it annoys me to see those posts on Clubsnap, a forum for photographers. They should post on OneModelPlace or similar, with a list of their fees and see how little work they get. I am sure I was flamed for posting something similar on Render's post but I would like to think I am standing up for the photographers here. Why should we be taken advantage of? This has been said so much and yet people still try and take advantage.
 

reachme2003

Senior Member
Oct 6, 2003
3,735
0
0
#12
unfortunately, there are some here who will continue to pay for the services of such 'models'.

Phildate said:
I will pay the taxi driver because he has been through some formal qualification that allows him to have a taxi and because he has obvious overheads.

I will pay for the meal because I have faith that the restaurant will only employ capable, well-qualified staff and if they are inexperienced, will be supervised by a trained professional.

If I was after the tuition services of a tutor, I would ask for years of experience, some sort of reference/and or formal qualification.


Pretty girls calling themselves models?? Well, it annoys me to see those posts on Clubsnap, a forum for photographers. They should post on OneModelPlace or similar, with a list of their fees and see how little work they get. I am sure I was flamed for posting something similar on Render's post but I would like to think I am standing up for the photographers here. Why should we be taken advantage of? This has been said so much and yet people still try and take advantage.
 

fotoudavid

Senior Member
Mar 11, 2005
2,157
3
38
#13
I can't understand the pretty ladies though.........
 

arttl

New Member
Jul 20, 2004
1,365
0
0
37
Planet PJ
www.flickr.com
#14
Astin said:
Do u pay the fare if the taxi driver is newbie?
Do u pay the meal if the chef is newbie?
Do u pay the tution if the tutor is newbie?
Sorry but don't see the link between the above mentioned to a model who is new to the industry.

Each field requires their own specialties and standard.

:)
 

Astin

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2002
4,736
0
36
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
#15
Are u paying the model?
Are u paying the organizer?
Are u paying the model who double as the organizer?
Are u paying the model who happens to be the organizer?
Are u paying the organizer who happens to be the model?
 

Deadpoet

Senior Member
Oct 18, 2004
4,619
0
0
#17
furrycake said:
simple : why should they let you take their pics?

dont pay and dont take pics, period.
becasue they want experience, portpoli and a book to show others. SIMPLE!

the rule of this world as I see it, newbie model offer TFP to get the experience and portfolio she needs (no slight against male models, but since I don't shoot them...),
newbie photograpers pay to shoot, same reason. While experience model should charge, and only experience photog should do TFP (this one is my pet peeve).

If the photographer is a newbie, you have nothing to offer to the model, why should she give you the TFP opportunity???
 

Pro Image

Senior Member
Oct 31, 2003
2,822
0
0
46
Last planet from the sun
#18
Deadpoet said:
becasue they want experience, portpoli and a book to show others. SIMPLE!

the rule of this world as I see it, newbie model offer TFP to get the experience and portfolio she needs (no slight against male models, but since I don't shoot them...),
newbie photograpers pay to shoot, same reason. While experience model should charge, and only experience photog should do TFP (this one is my pet peeve).

If the photographer is a newbie, you have nothing to offer to the model, why should she give you the TFP opportunity???
TOTALLY AGREE ON THIS MAN!
 

ortega

Moderator
Staff member
Nov 2, 2004
23,694
10
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
#20
Astin said:
Do u pay the fare if the taxi driver is newbie?
Do u pay the meal if the chef is newbie?
Do u pay the tution if the tutor is newbie?
Would you pay an assistant if he/she needs you to instruct him/her every step of the way?
push a bit move a bit

the "model" has to at least know how to pose for the camera

but why do CSers need to pay these so called "models" to take their pictures?
Don't you people have friends? who are girls?

When I was young, i just ask my friends and we go out for a shoot
I will select the best prints and give it to them.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom