Why should I choose DSC-R1 over other D-SLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonth

Feb 29, 2004
hi guys

I am quite interested in buying the DSC-R1 as a better or 'more powerful' digitial camera. Currently i have a Canon PowerShot S1 IS (i like its 10x optical zoom) and a Sony DSC-T7 (slim and portable). I am hoping to stick with another Sony so that I could re-use my memory sticks.

But how does the DSC-R1 fares against the other D-SLRS? I know DSC-R1 is not a D-SLR and a D-SLR will give a better image compared to any consumer digital camera due to its sensor and lens, i think. So will DSC-R1 produce better images than any consumer digital camera?

1 reason I did not consider D-SLR last time is I prefer to use the LCD to preview my picture when taking it, and for a D-SLR, the LCD will be 'black out'. Can any users of DSC-R1 confirm that you can still use the LCD when taking the shot?

R1 provides real time LCD preview, much like your Canon S1.

R1 has a sensor size equivalent to most DSLRs with 1.5/1.6 times crop factor. Meaning, APS-C size. The size should provide an increase in image quality in High ISOs compared to other sensors with a smaller size.

simonth said:
hi guys

I am quite interested in buying the DSC-R1 as a better or 'more powerful' digitial camera. Currently i have a Canon PowerShot S1 IS (i like its 10x optical zoom) and a Sony DSC-T7 (slim and portable). I am hoping to stick with another Sony so that I could re-use my memory sticks.

But how does the DSC-R1 fares against the other D-SLRS? I know DSC-R1 is not a D-SLR and a D-SLR will give a better image compared to any consumer digital camera due to its sensor and lens, i think. So will DSC-R1 produce better images than any consumer digital camera?

1 reason I did not consider D-SLR last time is I prefer to use the LCD to preview my picture when taking it, and for a D-SLR, the LCD will be 'black out'. Can any users of DSC-R1 confirm that you can still use the LCD when taking the shot?
R1 is probably produces the best images among all non-DSLR cameras. This is because R1 uses a DSLR-sized CMOS sensor which none other non-DSLR cameras has. For that, the sacrifise is a large camera size like any DSLR.

If you want DSLR-quality images, then R1 is your choice. However, R1 also exhibits all limitations of non-DSLR camera features, for instance, next shot response, continuous shoot buffer, slow(er) focus. Also bear in mind that R1 does not have video recording function, a feature that is available in ALL non-DSLR cameras.

I still feel F828 is a better machine than R1. Read my views and comparison here.

If I were you, I'd go get the Digimax Pro815... which has a whopping 15x optical zoom, Largest aperture of F2.2! Also dont forget the 3.5" LCD display and lastly, the 2/3 inch sensor size, which is pretty good IMO.

EDIT: and this one can shoot movies too, lol

michhy said:
If I were you, I'd go get the Digimax Pro815... which has a whopping 15x optical zoom, Largest aperture of F2.2! Also dont forget the 3.5" LCD display and lastly, the 2/3 inch sensor size, which is pretty good IMO.

but without image stabilisation (like IS, VR, mega OIS, AS etc), it's really difficult to make full use of the 15x, as someone suggested before, a tripod will be needed most of the time for far end shots.

Samsung has a high end prosumer which (on paper) exhibits very good specs.

One good reason for getting the R1 over DSLR is that you will not be tempted to acquire better lenses for your cam body (for DSLRs).

DPReview has reviews of both these cameras (and he seems to like the Sony, at least judging from the final recommendation). Do take a look:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungpro815/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/

Anyway, don't buy a D-SLR if you don't think you'll stay interested in photography for a long time and invest even more $$$ in lenses and other accessories.

Denosha said:
don't buy a D-SLR if you don't think you'll stay interested in photography for a long time and invest even more $$$ in lenses and other accessories.

Shhh... let them buy and then when they sell, we can buy cheap :devil: j/k

snowspeeder said:
One good reason for getting the R1 over DSLR is that you will not be tempted to acquire better lenses for your cam body (for DSLRs).

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

the APS sized CMOS is definitely a good bargain. It's got better noise performance compared to CCDs (champion being the SuperCCD from fuji)* so shooting at 1600 and 3200 can still yield considerably usable images. If you're into astrophotography, CMOS is the way to go :thumbsup:

And only 1 brand has DSLRs with CMOS sensors.

*based on my personal experience with the cameras

yanyewkay said:
And only 1 brand has DSLRs with CMOS sensors.

Not true at all... Both Nikon (D2X & D200) and Canon uses CMOS sensors as well.

IMO, Fujifilm's superCCD is the best sensor in terms balance between overall high ISO performance and dynamic range.

tao said:
Not true at all... Both Nikon (D2X & D200) and Canon uses CMOS sensors as well.

IMO, Fujifilm's superCCD is the best sensor in terms balance between overall high ISO performance and dynamic range.
oh yeah.. i forgot D2X.. D200 is on CCD.

yups when Canon first intro their CMOS line of DSLRs, supporters were mocked at for buying 'webcams' now.. The industry is turning to CMOS for lower power, lower heat, better noise performaces.

you wun go wrong with a CMOS sensor. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I went to wisma and took some ISO800 shots using the R1. Devloped the RAW with ACR. My conclusio of the noise is, it is pretty noisy and does not repsond well to my neat image. It leaves very obvious black "dots" on my subject faces... That was the biggest minus I could see.

wind30 said:
I went to wisma and took some ISO800 shots using the R1. Devloped the RAW with ACR. My conclusio of the noise is, it is pretty noisy and does not repsond well to my neat image. It leaves very obvious black "dots" on my subject faces... That was the biggest minus I could see.

sample photos would be great

michhy said:

i guess u have not seen the image quality of pro815

kinda wasted, when u have powerful zoom, fast lens, big screen, but image quality still got a big big room for improvement

michhy said:
sample photos would be great

as requested.

cropped file. 100%, not resized. See if you can remove the noise. I keep getting black dots on the face which is a no no.

sony.jpg

wind30 said:

ACR is not necessarily the best converter to use (for this camera). Maybe you can try running the same file through the Sony converter and see if it makes a difference.

FWIW, I find the R-1's viewfinder/LCD has a annoying live picture 'delay'. If you pull out a say an Oly 5060 series (and newer), the live video has a very 'immediate' feedback quality to it. The R-1's seems to be a little antiquidated.

The rest of the camera is, IMO, pretty well put together. It handles extremely good.

Status
Not open for further replies.