Why shoot models?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jose

Oct 11, 2005
Central, Northern
I've been wondering, i mean, i'm new here, but why are there so many photographers going for model shoots? They look expensive but everyone just pays to go look at pretty girls. Is it really about the skill of portraiture or is it the bikini babes?

If its just for the subject, why not ask a girlfriend, or someone who costs nothing?

If its for the babes? Then why not go to a pub? It's cheaper too :)

Jose.

Hi I know I'm quite new here but after observing the model shooting culture, I feel that the photographers are probably doing a little bit of both. It looks fun to spend the weekend shooting pretty girls while improving on your photography techniques. I disagree with some of the "dodgy shoots" but for most of them I think its quite alright and legitimate if you just wanna have some good clean fun :)

Jose said:
I've been wondering, i mean, i'm new here, but why are there so many photographers going for model shoots? They look expensive but everyone just pays to go look at pretty girls. Is it really about the skill of portraiture or is it the bikini babes?

If its just for the subject, why not ask a girlfriend, or someone who costs nothing?

Jose.

haha...if no gal friend, dont like pub. and like portrait photography?:)

A little expensive don't you think? I could come up with lots of alternatives to good clean fun. And yes, there are VERY dodgy sounding shoots going on. Something fishy going on behind closed doors?

Jose.

they are too free

This type of questions, will pop out every one or two months, nevermind, here we go again....

well, depend how you look at it, you got money, you happy, go for it, no one will stop you.

If you find free one, can, sure, go ahead, but can the model wannabe able to prefrom? can you able to direct the model?

If you photography skills is good, many people willing to line up for you to shoot, else, better pay someone money to shoot them.

GOMUS said:
haha...if no gal friend, dont like pub. and like portrait photography?:)

Then shoot your friends! Save the $$ for equipment.

Jose.

catchlights said:
This type of questions, will pop out every one or two months, nevermind, here we go again....

well, depend how you look at it, you got money, you happy, go for it, no one will stop you.

If you find free one, can, sure, go ahead, but can the model wannabe able to prefrom? can you able to direct the model?

If you photography skills is good, many people willing to line up for you to shoot, else, better pay someone money to shoot them.

Well, honestly, some of the model pics i've seen (i won't point fingers) don't really convey the model's professionalism...

Besides I'm not trying to stop people from doing it. I just don't understand.....

Jose.

Then shoot your friends! Save the $$ for equipment

not many of your frens will be willing to pose for you for free and i doubt any of them will do it nude haha

Jose said:
Then shoot your friends! Save the $$ for equipment.

Jose.

many r not local, ....not many friends, i guess...all camera shy..... :)

Porcubus Rex said:
not many of your frens will be willing to pose for you for free and i doubt any of them will do it nude haha

Rubbish. I'm sure your friends won't charge a hundred bucks if you ask them out to the beach on a sunny day. As for the nude part, there are less sleazy alternatives to a red-light district studio or a hotel room. Honestly, you can't be so narrow minded.

Jose.

What if the models pay me to shoot them? :what: Then how? They like to ogle at me??? :what: :what:

Jose said:
Well, honestly, some of the model pics i've seen (i won't point fingers) don't really convey the model's professionalism...

Besides I'm not trying to stop people from doing it. I just don't understand.....

Jose.
well, something apply here, you pay what you get, really. also don't forget you are the customers, can't you chose what you want?;)

and one thing about paid shoot, if you go back and delete all the pictures, no one will complaint, but for free shoot (TFCD), you better able to deliver, think about it.

I've been shooting mainly friends or ppl I know. Too poor to get model all the time unless I really have some very interesting concept I want to pull off.

Rubbish. I'm sure your friends won't charge a hundred bucks if you ask them out to the beach on a sunny day. As for the nude part, there are less sleazy alternatives to a red-light district studio or a hotel room. Honestly, you can't be so narrow minded.

I'm sure i wont want to trulbe mr frens just to come down to the beach so that i can fulfil my own ends. Its rude and selfish. And just becoz u might patronize red light districts it doesn't mean everyone should.

catchlights said:
well, something apply here, you pay what you get, really. also don't forget you are the customers, can't you chose what you want?;)

and one thing about paid shoot, if you go back and delete all the pictures, no one will complaint, but for free shoot (TFCD), you better able to deliver, think about it.

I'm not talking about TFCD. I like honestly, and so far, no one has admitted that guys are just horny. What i don't understand is why must a model subject be a sexy babe? Can't it be the kachang puteh man? Or the can-smashing-recycling old lady? Why not pay them? I only see bikini shoots, nude shoots etc.

You can see naked girls anytime you want, if you know where to go. Why pay them by the hour and masquerade it as a "photo shoot"?

Porcubus Rex said:
I'm sure i wont want to trulbe mr frens just to come down to the beach so that i can fulfil my own ends. Its rude and selfish. And just becoz u might patronize red light districts it doesn't mean everyone should.

My patronage or lack thereof of red-light districts is not the topic of discussion. My intention is to shed some brutally honest light on this matter. I think you understand what i mean. And i will not tolerate finger pointing, my porcine accuser.

Short answer: Why not?

When certain RA "non-artistic & questionable" movies were allowed in certain cinemas like Chinatown, why were there an umbrella brigade (old men carrying umbrellas) queing up to buy tickets?

When nude "artistic" sessions were held at PSS sometime back, why did this guy with a disposable camera sign up? (when he was handed the synch cord, he din know where to plug it in)

When male pensioners reached 55 and get their CPF, why did they make a beeline to Batam?

Who knows? Some may be genuine photographers wanting to learn and study the human form. Some may just be voyeurs. How do we tell which is which?

Oh and your avatar is a pix of a sexy gal. Why? (sorry no offence... just using something as an example).

Why not a pix of a pet dog or goldfish?
:)

PS: i m not for nor against u, just think that u raised an interesting point :)

Jose said:

Jose.

astroboy said:
Short answer: Why not?

When certain RA "non-artistic & questionable" movies were allowed in certain cinemas like Chinatown, why were there an umbrella brigade (old men carrying umbrellas) queing up to buy tickets?

When nude "artistic" sessions were held at PSS sometime back, why did this guy with a disposable camera sign up? (when he was handed the synch cord, he din know where to plug it in)

When male pensioners reached 55 and get their CPF, why did they make a beeline to Batam?

Who knows? Some may be genuine photographers wanting to learn and study the human form. Some may just be voyeurs. How do we tell which is which?

Good question. I'm sure nothing will stop a man from joining a nude workshop with a camera phone or something similar. But my intention is to remark upon how men who model themselves as photography entusiasts attend the sleazy shoots and feel justified. The umbrella brigade will freely admit that they are they to see flesh, and so will the man with the disposable camera. But what of our fellow clubsnapper?

Status
Not open for further replies.