Why Punggol

You are a rare breed bro, even i wouldnt want to stay with my in-laws.. Haha~~ Sad to say yeah...

then thats the people's problem :)
if i get a wife, i'm family oriented. preferably, my in-laws don't fight with my parents, and we all 1 big happy family. i won't mind having all of us staying near each other.

Congrats to you as the early adopter. I believed Punggol has been underdeveloped.
Since their Punggol21 days, till now still no shopping center right? But things are looking very bright~

Some how, I wish they should keep it as it is coz congestion is happening.
In the very near future, MRT will be an issue for those in Sengkang.

'Cos you can go shoot Punggol rocks all day long.

Also there are many friendly stray dogs to patrol your neighbourhood.

'Sometime the oil refineries just across the beautiful crystal clear Straits of Johor gave off a pleasant odour that leaves your home smelling extremely refreshing and revitalising.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
For those buying HDB flats in Punggol, have you notice that your flats with nice cool green view are built at sites that has plentiful of ground upfront ? In years to come your views will be gone forever as these are land reserved for private condos , yes the sad reality is the best /better scenic land plot are for $$$ rich residents of the future.

Take the waterway for example , alongside it will be condo while the HDB blocks take a back seat.

I foresee a small % of HDB will keep the unblock re-sort like views, the rest ... too bad.

The waterway isn't that fantastic with all the bright lights just like the bright lights of the golf driving range.

You are a rare breed bro, even i wouldnt want to stay with my in-laws.. Haha~~ Sad to say yeah...

ok la. maybe its the way i was brought up. but on the other hand, i have pretty novel ideas on child education that will probably freak my relatives out.

Agreed but those that seafront face P.Ubin & Coney is a bigger catch.

The waterway isn't that fantastic with all the bright lights just like the bright lights of the golf driving range.

i grew up in a kampung in punggol and ever since, all my relatives and friends are from the east, residing mainly in hougang area after our family were relocated as the government reclaim the kampung land.

recently bought a punggol BTO too after some 6 to 7 tries, at a cool S$420k+-. why this expensive? i can never understand and i doubt i will ever know. regardless, i'm just very happy to have gotten a unit in the area i always wanted to move back to when i finally settle down. i simply haf to slog my next 30years, as do most other Singaporeans.

why punggol?

i cannot imagine myself staying anywhere but eastern part of Singapore because i'm too attached to this area and the good food aplenty helps too (Kovan hawker centre!!!!).

i'm a kampung boy at heart. :bsmilie:

My cousin was one of the pioneer HDB residents of Punggol; at first he didn't want the place (far, no MRT back then, etc) and wanted to move elsewhere.
Now he damn happy that his house has probably doubled or tripled in value.

i grew up in a kampung in punggol and ever since, all my relatives and friends are from the east, residing mainly in hougang area after our family were relocated as the government reclaim the kampung land.

recently bought a punggol BTO too after some 6 to 7 tries, at a cool S$420k+-. why this expensive? i can never understand and i doubt i will ever know. regardless, i'm just very happy to have gotten a unit in the area i always wanted to move back to when i finally settle down. i simply haf to slog my next 30years, as do most other Singaporeans.

why punggol?

i cannot imagine myself staying anywhere but eastern part of Singapore because i'm too attached to this area and the good food aplenty helps too (Kovan hawker centre!!!!).

i'm a kampung boy at heart. :bsmilie:

I grew up there too ! Those days there was no flat , my school Monfort was one of the tallest building nearby ( merely 4 levels ) sooo tall that you could see kilometers of plantation / treetops right up to Johor Strait . Fantastic air & view. Teochew was the most commonly speaking dialect here - even among school teachers. 17 Ave / Lim Teck Lee (Punggol beach facing Coney) was a serene getaway where we camped & had countless fun .

Last edited:
Actually very true. I find them over rated. Recently I passed by bishan where the supposed make over of water living theme is completed. Nothing much done leh...still look quite the same.

kklee said:

another interesting question will be, why new houses? cannot stay with parents meh?

if i have a 4 room flat existing, and say i'm the only child... i am pretty sure i can squeeze my 2 kids 1 wife with my 2 parents, assuming my in-laws don't stay with me lar.

and there is always the choice of 2nd hand houses nearer your parents. larger size too + somemore got discount.

There is still the other half to consider... Hear from you in 5-10 years' time again! :bsmilie:

BTO is still cheaper than resale flats - you do get a grant from the government for staying near your parents, but the first statement still holds.

Here's my take.. given that I am actually residing in Punggol for the last 2 years or so ...

It was initially one of the last places on our list but after looking at more than 30 different units throughout Singapore, we chose Punggol for the following reasons:

1) Still undeveloped but not too undeveloped. The earliest settlers in Punggol are at least 7 years old. That is the age of the property we purchased from the resale market. So it is not too old.
2) The price we paid was relatively expensive at around 400+ for a 5 room but the view was unblocked (for now at least), high rise with good year end wind (save at least $60 off my air-con bills for about 2 quarters a year).
3) KPE is accessible to town in less than 30 mins and the LRT / Train is rather convenient .. not so now as it is starting to get crowded but we beat the crowd by being a bit earlier each day when going to work.
4) The landscaping project in Punggol is still one of the better ones than other mature estates. Thus, we get good parks when going for a romantic stroll or for a run to keep fit.
5) At least, we get to see new items being introduced from time to time ... McDonald is finally here, the Community Club is up... there is Popeye, Uncle Leong, a few uninteresting entertaining facilities like prawn fishing... ha
6) The resale value will be good when we want to downgrade to a smaller flat as me and my other half gets older ....
7) On weekend, we get the excuse of not going down to orchard because it is still relatively far (having to change MRT lines ... me and my lazy excuse) and our flat is very cozy ...
8) The HDB blocks are quite well designed and not too clutter at this moment (cannot speak for the future)
9) Punggol (other than west coast and east coast) has interesting beaches under development ... good place to be when it is fully developed
10) Cannot really think of any but I am looking forward to more new malls being opened as there is only one pathetic Punggol Plaza near to where I am staying :)

There is still the other half to consider... Hear from you in 5-10 years' time again! :bsmilie:

BTO is still cheaper than resale flats - you do get a grant from the government for staying near your parents, but the first statement still holds.

later 4-5 years, I decide to never get married :eek:

Actually very true. I find them over rated. Recently I passed by bishan where the supposed make over of water living theme is completed. Nothing much done leh...still look quite the same.

yes its way over-rated. just a big bad drain.

but... its a nice feature to have and the park looks good for jogging/leisurely walks. kekeke

i wouldn't mind not having the big drain to have cheaper flats. hurhurhur

I grew up there too ! Those days there was no flat , my school Monfort was one of the tallest building nearby ( merely 4 levels ) sooo tall that you could see kilometers of plantation / treetops right up to Johor Strait . Fantastic air & view. Teochew was the most commonly speaking dialect here - even among school teachers. 17 Ave / Lim Teck Lee (Punggol beach facing Coney) was a serene getaway where we camped & had countless fun .

yes sir! i was from around that area too! hurhurhur

there's plenty of teochew in the area, even in hougang. =)

The one thing I love about punggol is the super wide parking lots! There was once I parked my car into a 3-lot spot. I was at the extreme left, while there was another car on the extreme right. Then I ask my friend to park in the middle spot. He said, "Siao ah! That's not a lot. This is a 2-lot area. Why did the two of you park so far to the extreme ends?"

That's how wide the parking space is. Kuddos!

People, i tink a lot of u are missing the point. Yes the waterway may not b something outstanding. But it's a way or a plus point to lure people to stay in puggol. New towns are like that. Nobody want to go voluntarily. So they dangle things like waterway to make it attractive. When they wanted people to move to ulu Jurong west they use low prices to attract them. It's a marketing strategy i guess so that people will occupy this new town that is being developed. How much u pay for it, well it depends on how much u tink it's worth it. New towns over time will get amenities and the so called star attractions. So u're partly gambling how well it will turn out. Risk is always there but with all new towns, amenities will start to come in slowly.

my uncle when he got married in 1985 ...... hated the fact that he had been assigned a flat in former cemetary area...... Bishan ..........they are very very happy today

Because it's so far away from civilization it gives the illusion of being in a foreign country. :bsmilie: also, the CTE traffic is so much love! :lovegrin: