Why professionals dont use nikon???

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerax

Apr 19, 2008
alright I am not trying to ignite a war here between nikon vs canon. But I seriously start to see some signs here.

I always believe that nikon and canon is equally good. But why Professionals always use canon?? nobody use nikon.

I am a nikon guy and I notice this thing from many events.

lets say SINGAPORE F1, all of the photographers that i bumped into, they all used CANON. nobody used nikon. IT COULDNT be a coincidence. waht happened with nikon ???

and so many people even in the US , the professionals mostly use canon . whats up with nikon?

If I looked at the camera line, Canon line is better than nikon. IS this why???

I dont really know about canon but like today, my friend who use canon show me about mark 2 that pretty much can capture a video with a GREAT QUALITY. while nikon only have d90 and the quality is not really that awesome anyway.

but We dont have to talk about the quality here. THE POINT IS, why MOST PROFESSIONALS use canon nowadays instead of nikon. this is what i am trying to find out.

BTW, I am using nikon d40 and totally nikon dude. : )

lol you have interesting perceptions.

if its edmw i'll give a +1

alright I am not trying to ignite a war here between nikon vs canon. But I seriously start to see some signs here.

I always believe that nikon and canon is equally good. But why Professionals always use canon?? nobody use nikon.

lets say SINGAPORE F1, all of the photographers that i bumped into, they all used CANON. nobody used nikon. IT COULDNT be a coincidence. waht happened with nikon ???

and so many people even in the US , the professionals mostly use canon . whats up with nikon?

I dont really know about canon but like today, my friend who use canon show me about mark 2 that pretty much can capture a video with a GREAT QUALITY. while nikon only have d90 and the quality is not really that awesome anyway.

but We dont have to talk about the quality here. THE POINT IS, why MOST PROFESSIONALS use canon nowadays instead of nikon. this is what i am trying to find out.

I dun noe... maybe the professional is sponsor by canon? part of their marketing? who pay the sponsorship? maybe ppl like us.

just my guess.

Perhaps the professionals in question all believes in Canon L technology. But it is not possible that Nikon is not used in professional shooting events, for example if u look closely during the Beijing Olympics 2008 the professionals were all divided between Canon and Nikon gear 50:50.

Cheers, and please brace for a possible *harsh* rebutt from the Nikon camp. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
let's put it this way...
Nikon is too good that they have to give other brands a chance to prove themselves worthy of being in this line...

seriously, IMHO, i believe it's just a coincidence.

and also, each brand have their own strengths and weaknesses. people may be alright to this being the weakness, but others may not. so they chose the other brand.

Last edited:
Where were you during the Olympics games. :eek:

In digital photography, Canon have a huge headstart. It's not until recently Nikon managed to catch up.

Give it a few more years and you'll see the game being equalized.

let's put it this way...
Nikon is way too good that they have to give other brands a chance to prove themselves worthy of being in this line...

Lol becareful of the choice of words.... wait kanna flame wars lah.....
Anyway, i believe that most of those pros started with canon (canon flooded the majority with their products in the earlier cycle), therefore making it expensive and hard to change system as time goes by..... Man tend to view change negatively especially when they are put into their comfort zone.

However, i think Nikon also have their fair share of supporter lah... the change of attitude can be viewed in the Beijing Olympics right?

Ps: I think my answer can go for Mr Congeniality liaoz:thumbsup:

But Nikon was the one who first came up with their camera designs... Furthermore, the recent F1, Nikon was a sponsor if I'm not wrong... I remember my friend mentioning that there were adverts of D90 everywhere...

I think it's just the marketing, Canon has FIERCE marketing...

PS: I'm a Nikon user.

Geez, don't you peeps give this Canikon thing a rest?

Anyway, "professionals" are not limited to just sports photographers; they are but in just one field of photography.

To the TS: it is advisable not to post such a sweeping statement, and then go on to say that you're a Nikon (or whatever) fan. If you bother to do a little bit of homework, you'll see that professional photographers use every kind of equipment as long as it suits their needs.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread is does not serve any real purpose other than to soothe bruised egos.

Geez, don't you peeps give this Canikon thing a rest?

Anyway, "professionals" are not limited to just sports photographers; they are but in just one field of photography.

To the TS: it is advisable not to post such a sweeping statement, and then go on to say that you're a Nikon (or whatever) fan. If you bother to do a little bit of homework, you'll see that professional photographers use every kind of equipment as long as it suits their needs.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread is does not serve any real purpose other than to soothe bruised egos.

I really feel sorry for the other brands, because during the Beijing Olympics and Singapore F1, there's hardly anybody using non Canon and Nikon gear.
Only a single Sony user which i saw near me during F1 :|

Lol becareful of the choice of words.... wait kanna flame wars lah.....

no no, not trying to be sarcastic or whatsoever. but Nikon is good, aren't they? we must admit that...

and I'm a canon user FYI.

Last edited:
Rofl..i just change brand from canon to nikon recently[6hours ago].The reason being nikon body is much cheaper then canon's.Maybe this is the reason,professial want to spend more.Another reason could be that L lens look dope to their cilent?

just my 2cent worth

Check this out. Not a supporter of either though.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

My favourite journalist & mobile studio photographer is Joe McNally, and he uses Nikon gear, while I'm on Canon.

Does it matter?

He uses D3 and D700 with 14 - 400mm lenses (mostly zooms) with lots of studio equipment and stuff.

Where were you during the Olympics games. :eek:

In digital photography, Canon have a huge headstart. It's not until recently Nikon managed to catch up.

Give it a few more years and you'll see the game being equalized.

very true. Canon came out with the full frame digital sensor a good few years before Nikon.
Nikon's first full frame sensor, D3 , was only available this year.
Even up to today, Nikon does not have the >20Mega pixel resolution on their FF sensor.
While mere mortals like us don't need >20MPix, the pros do need it, especially for extreme cropping or just as an insurance, in case they need to print huge pics for a client.
After all, they are making money out of their pics and an opportunity lost, is money lost.

If I'm a pro, I'll pick Canon too, just based on the above 2 points. Though they may not be the only game in town to offer FF sensor, they're still the only one with the most experience in FF sensors.

I doubt that Nikons will have many converts as once you invests in the lens, as the Canon pros will do, it is hard to replace an entire lens line with Nikons lens, unless there is a Nikon feature that you absolutely must have that does not exists in Canon cams, and that feature will make you tons of money. The cost of jumping ship is very high, especially with Pros with all their high end gear. Of course, if you've only invested in one or two lenses, it is much easier to jump ship.

Last edited:
Is that the case? Saw many many more Nikon adverts than Canon ones.

I kinna agree with his statement.My teacher and I are one of them.

Canon will always come back in the market.
Nikon will come back after that.
Its a never ending cycle. The professionals are just waiting for that next body, to fix all the Mark 3's bad history + more.
I just changed from Canon to Nikon. I love it. D3 performs better then my Mark 3 in most areas. But the D3 will be old news when the Canon releases the Mark 4.

Black or white doesn't matter, the 1 who caught the mice is a GOOD cat.

;p

I guess everybody has to start somewhere and newbies then to go for more affordable and easy to use entry level cameras. Look at the 1000D and the famous 350D-450D line-up. They purchase lenses and are so used to the system that when they do upgrade their skill, they tend to follow back their previous system. So yeah, Canon definitely has an edge selling cameras to the wide general public.

Anyways i use both systems, nikon at work and canon at play and i have no complaints. Both awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.