Why post blurry and out of focus images?


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2002
1,305
0
0
Singapore
#1
Although not strictly, but generally, the rule of thumb for basic photography is to get your subject or focal point tack sharp.

Had a random look at some 10 threads a while ago and shockingly at least 5 threads did not get the basic right...

Unless the blur or out of focus in a picture was intentional, but why post if it's not?
 

TME

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
6,580
0
0
41
Clementi
#2
jasphotography said:
Although not strictly, but generally, the rule of thumb for basic photography is to get your subject or focal point tack sharp.

Had a random look at some 10 threads a while ago and shockingly at least 5 threads did not get the basic right...

Unless the blur or out of focus in a picture was intentional, but why post if it's not?

Maybe to ask how to improve such a photo? Or that the user was experiencing some technical problem with produced those abovementioned shots and he needed some advice to what was the possible and/or probable cause
 

Nov 12, 2003
680
0
0
33
Pasir ris
pachome2.pacific.net.sg
#3
because some who have studied the rules of the discipline... break them knowingly and for purposeful reasons, like to bring across messages that the artist wants to communicate...?
 

Kit

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
11,692
42
48
42
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
#4
moos blues said:
because some who have studied the rules of the discipline... break them knowingly and for purposeful reasons, like to bring across messages that the artist wants to communicate...?
Hahaha.... good one... nice try.
 

sriram

New Member
Mar 10, 2002
1,253
0
0
#5
Maybe some people think it's "art"?
 

Mar 1, 2004
200
0
0
#6
It is a difficult question to answer and a more difficult job to prevent such things. I guess everyone has the right to post what they think is a great picture taken by them. But that is a subjective matter and to each, their photos are like babies and do not wish to call tham bad images. Instead, they give it an (so called) appropriate post exposure title like 'spinning world' etc... to make up for the pre exposure errors.

I guess casual photographers make bad editors and it takes a great photographer to distinguish and discard the not-perfect images.

Then again, it is impossible to police bad images (due to subjectivity) and the only way to reduce it in a public forum is to ignore th poor images.

PS. If anyone has an image called 'spinning world', the mention is absolutely coincidental and I do not mean offence.

cheers
 

TME

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
6,580
0
0
41
Clementi
#7
RemAcuTetigisti said:
It is a difficult question to answer and a more difficult job to prevent such things. I guess everyone has the right to post what they think is a great picture taken by them. But that is a subjective matter and to each, their photos are like babies and do not wish to call tham bad images. Instead, they give it an (so called) appropriate post exposure title like 'spinning world' etc... to make up for the pre exposure errors.

I guess casual photographers make bad editors and it takes a great photographer to distinguish and discard the not-perfect images.

Then again, it is impossible to police bad images (due to subjectivity) and the only way to reduce it in a public forum is to ignore th poor images.

PS. If anyone has an image called 'spinning world', the mention is absolutely coincidental and I do not mean offence.

cheers

But really how can one really tell whether the "bad shot" was intentional or due to poor skills? I dun can tell due to one shot.... it really depends on the integrity of the poster I guess and perhaps if the poster has been around in the forum long enough, then the other long term forummers will also have a gauge of his standards... otherwise I feel it's a bit hard to tell..... I dun mean the really bad shots but those that just shade it....
 

Jul 28, 2002
1,305
0
0
Singapore
#8
I think so far few posts have gone a little OT....

As I said "Unless the blur or out of focus in a picture was intentional, but why post if it's not?"... so, I don't think they were deliberately breaking the rules or simply passing it off as art.
 

zaren

Moderator
Staff member
Oct 27, 2003
10,960
27
48
#9
jasphotography said:
Although not strictly, but generally, the rule of thumb for basic photography is to get your subject or focal point tack sharp.

Had a random look at some 10 threads a while ago and shockingly at least 5 threads did not get the basic right...

Unless the blur or out of focus in a picture was intentional, but why post if it's not?
jas... i think that posting pics is fun and educational. it's a great way to share one's pics, get critiques (for poor shots, OOF etc) or praise and encouragement (for excellent shots). as i recall (several threads ago), there seemed to be a consensus that CS is a "inclusive" photo community, so that any pic, good or bad, can be showcased in the photo galleries. perhaps the future may see the gallery forum structure being revised to include a "rating system" for photos, a sticky to outline the minimum standards for posting in the galleries, and a separate "critique" forum for communal learning and improvement.
 

Jul 28, 2002
1,305
0
0
Singapore
#10
zaren said:
jas... i think that posting pics is fun and educational. it's a great way to share one's pics, get critiques (for poor shots, OOF etc) or praise and encouragement (for excellent shots). as i recall (several threads ago), there seemed to be a consensus that CS is a "inclusive" photo community, so that any pic, good or bad, can be showcased in the photo galleries. perhaps the future may see the gallery forum structure being revised to include a "rating system" for photos, a sticky to outline the minimum standards for posting in the galleries, and a separate "critique" forum for communal learning and improvement.
zaren, maybe you didn't quite get me... I NEVER say one MUST post GOOD pictures. As far as I can remember, I have commented on both GOOD & BAD pictures and I enjoyed doing that regardless of good or bad.

I feel the fundamental of photography has to be there and I hope this thread will serve its purpose to help people realise that. I am not here to undermine any individual or their works. I am probably more critical and vocal myself but I'll still insist that sharpness is a very fundamental aspect of photography, whether you (and I don't exactly mean you Zaren :)) agree to it or not.
 

theITguy

Senior Member
Sep 19, 2003
3,142
0
0
In this small world
Visit site
#11
jasphotography said:
Although not strictly, but generally, the rule of thumb for basic photography is to get your subject or focal point tack sharp.

Had a random look at some 10 threads a while ago and shockingly at least 5 threads did not get the basic right...

Unless the blur or out of focus in a picture was intentional, but why post if it's not?

I am not a good photographer, just like to share my personal views, so bear with me.


While it is important to get your subject matter on focus, the composition and exposure seems to determine whether you know what you are shooting and what you want to frame in your picture.

It is actually very easy to get a subject matter in focus when you use an SLR, that is most of the time under good lighting condition. With a normal compact camera, it could be hard due to the low light that does not allow the AF sytem to work well.

In what you posted, the thread starter may be trying to tell us about the composition, or that a sunset is beautiful and he/she wanted to share with us. There is nothing wrong in doing so, and he/she is just being kind to share out what is being seen as good. This is also why there is a forum for people to share.
 

coke21

New Member
May 12, 2003
706
0
0
42
East
Visit site
#12
jasphotography said:
Although not strictly, but generally, the rule of thumb for basic photography is to get your subject or focal point tack sharp.

Had a random look at some 10 threads a while ago and shockingly at least 5 threads did not get the basic right...

Unless the blur or out of focus in a picture was intentional, but why post if it's not?
Think sometimes when taking photos, it's unintentional that the blur was there. Yes, it show poor skill in taking (not meant to put down anyone, I'm alos guilty of it) but sometimes the shot is one of kind and it was a very good shot (i'm assume it is here) and although its not technically correct (becos of the blur) its still a relatively nice shot.

So I would guess people would post it just to show it. Like someone mentioned, this is not an exhibition etc. So showing technically incorrect pictures is just to show what they have done without having to worry abt how people think of their photography.
 

Jer76

Senior Member
Apr 21, 2002
1,049
0
36
West
#13
I also have seen sligntly blurred photos in National Geographic usually due to low light/handshake, not intentional but although slightly blurred the pic still speaks a thousand words.. but if those really blurred till cannot make out the subject then i dunno liao no comments :)
 

sathea

New Member
Jan 3, 2004
1,744
0
0
Singapore
www.yaohui.sg
#18
:bsmilie: you chopped off the head and saturated the photo.
i still prefer the full picture.
the walls and the lines on the ground...
 

TME

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
6,580
0
0
41
Clementi
#19
I think the foregorund that u cut off shows the lack of emotion of the place.... captures the city life kind of spirit (i.e. work, work and work... ) very well.... my opinion... no flames... thanks!
 

Caussway

New Member
Dec 8, 2003
997
0
0
47
Malaysia
Visit site
#20
Hi Jas just sharing my opinion. I believe CS a good place to share and learn. If you think poster can improve thier photography skill pls. share your opinion and suggestions. As long as a photo doesn't violate CS rules, then I don't see any reason why someone shoudn't pose his picture.

A photo taken for many different reasons. Sometimes capturing the moment is more important than sharpness, exposure etc... IMO: As long as the photo delivers it's intended purpose then it can be considered as good photo.

When a pro takes blurred picture it's an art, and if a newbie do that is it :thumbsd:

remembers someone's signature sounds: There is no rule for good photograph there are only good photographs. :)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom