why pictures turn out like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
setting was auto focus.
was testing my film camera

first image is very underexposed, second image also slightly underexposed, the grain are sign of correcting underexposed images.

if you look at the negative, the images are rather faint, it means underexposed,

I had experienced the photolab ppl will try to correct ur exposure to earn the extra piece of photo money which I think they are too unprofessional. And I was ended up getting a set of 100 photos corrected wrongly, those photos was delibrately underexposed ones. From what I see ur photo, it could be underexposed. One advise u can always tell the photolab ppl not to correct ur photos be it digital or film, if they forgot, some photolab allows to reprint all the photos.

I had experienced the photolab ppl will try to correct ur exposure to earn the extra piece of photo money which I think they are too unprofessional. And I was ended up getting a set of 100 photos corrected wrongly, those photos was delibrately underexposed ones. From what I see ur photo, it could be underexposed. One advise u can always tell the photolab ppl not to correct ur photos be it digital or film, if they forgot, some photolab allows to reprint all the photos.
are you a regular customer of this lab? do you give specific instruction to ask them to print at it is, without any adjustment?

first time using the lab. just told them to print. no specifications
first time using slr too :embrass:

was testing my newly bought Nikon F80 (film) camera.
couldn't find any images/examples of under exposed photos like these,
can only find blacken pictures as examples, not these grey over cast ones.

thanks all:)

Was this with the body that gave problems?

If so, shutter could be laggy/sticky, thus causing erratic esposure.

Other problems could also be metering gone case, or technique not so good, but I suspect shutter problem if it's the same body as in your previous thread.

yes. this is the body that was faulty when i bought it (my other thread).

but i tested with another 2nd hand nikon F80 ( yup, bought another from US)..pictures came out the same- grey over cast.

the image on the negatives were faint.. some random shots are more clear.

could it be my settings? but i was on auto mode.

Last edited:
How did you shoot the "random" shots? And how about the "non-random" shots?

If you have a digital camera, try taking the same photos with the same shutter speed, f-stop and iso as the film and see if they are underexposed too.

As the others have already told you, the photos are all badly underexposed. I'm not familiar with the F80, but you may want to check the type of metering and exposure compensations you are using.

Were you using expired film, or film that may have been kept in a hot place at ANY time?

Also, how long did you wait from the time you shot the first frame till you got it developed?

Try this: Get a fresh roll of film from a reputable store like Ruby or Cathay, shoot it and get it developed fast, at a reputable photofinisher like Kim Tian or Konota. Shoot a wide variety of subjects except very high contrast subjects (e.g., too much sky, too much dark shadow areas etc). Tell them NO COMPENSATION or adjustments. Then judge the results.

the random clearer shots without grey over cast- i use manual.. only 3? 4 tries
the rest all on auto.

no digital camera

you want people to help you,
why don't provide all the info upfront?
keep letting people making wild guess and asking questions from you.

seem like you have totally no clue on what is basic photography, how about go National Library to pick up a basic photography book, start reading about basic theory first.

if you keep buying film and learn to shoot now, don't know about exposure, don't about metering, that will be a long long way to go, and learning the hardest way.

i am a noob. of cos i will ask questions. and learn after ppl try to help.
i admit i am still very new to photography, had tried to learn and absorb and use the lingo that many used. this is after all newbie corner right?

anyway. ppl did tell me the issue in first few posts already and i accepted.
will correct my Technics etc in future, know what to tell ppl in the lab in future. by the way, i did say i was in auto mode during testing of camera.

sorry to seem rude, but seriously, if a senior find my questions too repeative, too noobish etc, they can always choose not to answer and help?

a noob is a noob, how will i know what info to provide. i can only provide the best i can, any addition, seniors who are willing to help advise will ask me, so i can go and think back and answer back and provide more info on what i did. i did say its my 1st time using slr. yes, i dont know anything about basic photography about metering etc, but i am trying to pick up and remember what i read online. photography is a skill that one have to learn. i bet no one can tell me it is easy to learn. even the most basic skill needs lots of practice, and that is definitely via the hardest way

i did try to find examples but can only try via online..as i am working 3 jobs and its only during my lunch hour i can rush some where to search for answers, develop film etc. sneak online to read up and find others...sneak in this forum to look around and ask around.

if my post offended anyone, then i am sorry. i will go else where to find answers in future. i asked over here, as this is the newbie corner and ppl seem friendly enough to noobs.

Last edited:
sleven,

That's not the issue at all.

If you look through many threads, Catchlights is one of the few seniors that shares as much as possible.

If I can be direct - the problem is that the input is really random, and in bits and pieces. Given the situation, it's really very difficult to offer you any real help. Not because we don't want to, but because we can't (given the randomness of the input).

I already suggested a slightly more methodical test. If possible, try to do that test, first, methodically, and then give us the feedback by posting up the photos.

I can only try to imagine how difficult it is to juggle three jobs, and also find time to try do photography.

Hi, sleven.
Please do not misunderstand Catchlights intention.
He is one of the most helpful senior members in ClubSNAP. And he is very diplomatic too.
I stand as a neutral party.
Perhaps you could really try gathering all your information and present them in a little more fuller kind of picture so that your help comes a little easier.

thank you all for your advises and explanations.

i will remember to give as much details as i can in future. cos now after every questions seniors ask me back, i can reflect/ think back what the hell i actually did so to provide more details and others can help me better.

not trying to defend myself, but i am nervous, with everything being new to me. guess it sums up a noob's mentality?
i'm very sure every senior here have heard retard questions a million times like, ' what camera is good? what lens should i buy that is good?? what the hell is a dry box??? dry box versus dry dry cabinet, which is better?"

with seniors asking us BACK questions, we learn to ask quality questions in future and what info we need to provide for help. of cos it seem like we are being spoon fed, but seriously, this is just a short phase. once we noobs get hit by seniors questions, like i say, we reflect back. a noob wont know what we dont know..hopefully we get out of this retard stage fast

just to let seniors here know, your advise and help has not gone unappreciated. you are regarded as trainers/ teachers to us. why else will we bother coming to forums and ask dumb questions?

again, if i offend anyone, i am sorry. just my 2 cents. i do appreciate very much what had been explained to me and i hope seniors will spare noobs their last drop of patience even though its the last straw and they are on the verge of throwing me out of the forum with my retarded questions

another newbie question- i dont see any much difference then my question asked;

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623901

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.