why picture turn out concave ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erictan8888

Nov 9, 2004
Singapore
hi,

i took this shot of the city skyscrapers and it turned out kind of concave outwards....
i find that i quite like this kind of looks....

would like to know how this was done? (cause i can't remember what setting.... as far as i remember, i did not doing anything unusual-- yet shot turned out like that)

has it got to do with tripod angle, camera angle or what ?
hmm... cannot replicate this now, so would like to know how to do it...

comments for pic would be appreciated.... thanks

landscape1.jpg

Not pincushioning. It would be a lemon if it pincushion to this extent.:p

It is instead perspective distortion and is due to physics and nothing to do with the lens. Search on the net for the definition.

ur camera is tilted. use photoshop to correct the perspective.

Clown said:
ur camera is tilted. use photoshop to correct the perspective.

yup think its the perspective :) can be corrected in photoshop~ saw an article somewhere. Will post a link if i see it again. Its usually more dramatic with wide angle lenses IIRC

Check out articles under megaweb's gallery on CS... there's a perspective distortion correction article.

as mentioned, what you have is perspective distortion. the camera is tilted up and you'll get "converging" verticals.

so is this an error in the camera positioning if the camera is tilted up ?

or is this kind of shot "acceptable" in terms of photography?
it seems that most users are mentioning about correction....
i mean is it something that photographers avoid ?

btw, was using a 12-24mm lens...

pls advise... thanks

it's not an error per se. just what you want to capture. if you want to capture all verticals as verticals, position the camera properly.

Its keystoning. You get this when focal plane is not parallel to subject plane.

Keystone distortion is not a bad thing if u know how to make use of it. But as shown in this photo, it's neither here nor there, the buildings looks like going to collapse, thus not good.

Hmmm, thats why for people who're doing architecture Canon has this series of "tilt-shift" lenses to correct keystoning?

Just go and get a Tilt and Shift lens.

Note that there is little point for him to get a T&S/PC lens if he shoots occationally, unless he is feeling rich or anyone of the recommenders buy from him. The widest T&S from Canon is the 24mm T&S cost S$2950 (list) and with the crop, becomes similar to a 38mm. Nikon's PC 24mm is significantly cheaper, at $2110 (list, 28.5% cheaper) but gives a 36mm angle of view.

another pic taken with the same lens on the same day...

landscape2.jpg

this has less concave effects....i guess it is because the camera not tilited upwards... am i right ?

thanks

2 things to note when using ultra wide angle lenses:

1. Wide angle lenes when shooting at subjects that are more ore less than perpandicular (90 deg) will form what we call converging verticals where the vertical lines seems to be converging towards the top or bottom.

2. So keep the central object as close to 90 deg so as to avoid this. Nikon and Canon use to make a tilt lens when the lens is shifted to accomodate or avoid this tilting effect.

That's why we don't use wide angle lens for portraiture, people get big legs or heads. LOL

what is considered ultra wide lens?
12-24mm considered also right ?

normally until how many mm than not within the ultra wide lens classification ?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.