Status
Not open for further replies.
From your equipment, no reason
why photos not sharp two
pretty good stuff already

From your equipment, no reason
why photos not sharp two
pretty good stuff already

I guess it got to do with his aperture settings. 85mm 1.4 confirm sharp unless aperture wrong settings.

Hi. I just started on this photography hobby and have been snapping around for about 2 weeks. My gear is as follows:

1. Canon 20D
2. 17-40mm L f4
3. 85mm f1.8

I have been trying to shoot those sharp looking photos but somehow I still cannot get it right. Quite frustrating. Not sure if my techniques are correct. I tried both Auto Focus and Manual Focus, but the photos are not as sharp as I wanted them to be.

You can view some of my casual shots here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27201863@N00/

Nothing fanciful, just trying out the camera to get the best sharpness. When the file is viewed at 100%, it just become blurred. People shots are not sharp also (though not uploaded here). I did not use any sharpening tool in the camera setting (set to the middle).

Could I ask for help? Is it my technique/setting which is wrong or is there something wrong with the camera focusing system?

Thanks in advance.

Canon by nature is on the soft-focus side.

Canon's system tends to be softer in comparison with Nikon's systems if that is what u are comparing images to. I set my 30D to max sharpness so that it can be near to my Nikon's images. You may want to try. U may also increase the speed so that u have less movt on camera.

Setting in-camera sharpness to max can introduce artifacts into the jpeg pictures and there is nothing you can do to correct it. If absolute sharpness is needed, it's advisable to shoot in RAW first then adjust the sharpness. At least you can control the sharpening parameters yourself then leave it to the in-camera algorithm.

Thank you all for all your advise. I tried taking photos using faster speed and they turned out sharp! Much sharper than those I took before posting this thread.

Really really appreciate your kind help =)

I hate to sidetrack this thread, but I noticed, from the cat's eye, that someone is dangling some "food" to make the cat look upwards.

:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.