Why photo taken is dark in Tv mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubenyong

Feb 17, 2009
AMK
Hi all,

after reading the articles on the basics, I was exploring the Tv mode in my camera but the photos taken are dark whenever I use that mode. I tried to adjust the exposure but it doesn't help. Anyone knows what other settings I need to set?

Thanks.

Hi all,

after reading the articles on the basics, I was exploring the Tv mode in my camera but the photos taken are dark whenever I use that mode. I tried to adjust the exposure but it doesn't help. Anyone knows what other settings I need to set?

Thanks.

what are your settings for Tv mode that you usually set to before you shoot?

i think your shutter speed is set too high and there is no way to compensate if your lens aperture cannot go any faster.

What does your meter indicate? Chances are, you're setting the shutter speed to a level that is too fast, your aperture, ISO level and available light are not enough.

Because TV belongs to the Dark Side.

From your question it sounds like you do not understand exposure very well (if that assumption is incorrect I apologize). I recommend reading "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson - at least the few chapters in front - for an excellent tutorial on the topic. Available from the library, I believe.

What does your meter indicate? Chances are, you're setting the shutter speed to a level that is too fast, your aperture, ISO level and available light are not enough.
Where can I see the meter?
Sorry for asking such a simple question.

Because TV belongs to the Dark Side.

From your question it sounds like you do not understand exposure very well (if that assumption is incorrect I apologize). I recommend reading "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson - at least the few chapters in front - for an excellent tutorial on the topic. Available from the library, I believe.
Thanks for the pointer, I will do some reading up. :)

hi ts

could it be that :

1) u dialed -ev compensation?

2) subject is backlighted / standing against white reflective background, but u didnt compensate the exposure?

3) if like Rashkae said, under the situation that u used shutter speed that is too high and ur lens max. aperture is still not big enough to expose the scene correctly at the iso u set, u should see the aperture value in the view finder blinking (for canon, not sure about other makes).

Where can I see the meter?
Sorry for asking such a simple question.

simple answer, read the user manual.

if you have read the user manual, u would have notice point #3 i mentioned.

Last edited:
post a couple of sample pics here .... easier to visualize

what other settings do you use in the following areas?

exposure metering mode (centre-weight, general/matrix etc etc)
what speed setting are you using
whats the max apature range on the lens ? (or just tell us what lens model you are using...that info is usually printed around the circumfrence of the lens area)

then its easier to understand the situation and analyze and advise

anyway, here's a little reading about using Tv mode (Tv mode DOES NOT mean that your pics come out like television images LOL :bsmilie: )

http://www.learnslr.com/digital-slr-learning-guide/tv-mode-shutter-priority

Last edited:
post a couple of sample pics here .... easier to visualize

what other settings do you use in the following areas?

exposure metering mode (centre-weight, general/matrix etc etc)
what speed setting are you using
whats the max apature range on the lens ? (or just tell us what lens model you are using...that info is usually printed around the circumfrence of the lens area)

then its easier to understand the situation and analyze and advise

anyway, here's a little reading about using Tv mode (Tv mode DOES NOT mean that your pics come out like television images LOL :bsmilie: )

http://www.learnslr.com/digital-slr-learning-guide/tv-mode-shutter-priority

haha when i read the first post by TS, I knew someone was going to talk about it not being TV ... anyway i think most prob its down to too fast a shutter speed? TS when in Tv mode, does your aperture blink when you look through the viewfinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.