why people put lens hood opposite

dark cloud

Jun 5, 2010
like this

120620105211.jpg

no leh, sometimes i see people put it this way when taking photos

no leh, sometimes i see people put it this way when taking photos

lazy also , alot of times i also don't put on the hood and keep it inverted because i know there won't be any flares , but most of the time i am just lazy or even forget to put it on ...:sweat:

keep in bag, hard to store. keep at home, useless ....

you never know when you need it, so just bring it along.

I use it all the time! When I'm not shooting I reverse it backwards so that I'm able to put back the lens cover (I don't use a filter)... With hood forward, lens cover a bit tricky to put on.

Last edited:
two reasons:

either they are plain lazy, or don't know what lens hood for.
:thumbsd:

lazy also , alot of times i also don't put on the hood and keep it inverted because i know there won't be any flares , but most of the time i am just lazy or even forget to put it on ...:sweat:
:thumbsup:

cause sometimes you know there will not be flare, eg indoor

A lens hood also protects against incidental bumps, fingers and other dangers. Flare can still occur indoors, it just depends on the lights in the frame or just outside.

What if ppl intentionally want to create flare?

:thumbsd:
:thumbsup:

that is not truth, the use of lens hood is to shield the front element or filter away from any stray light, to help increase contrast of the images and preventing lens flare cause by strong light source.

so as long there is lights, ones should use lens hood, regardless is indoor or outdoor.

you can see cinematographers or professional photographers are using lens hood all the time.

Last edited:
two reasons:

Oh man! It's also useful to protect the lens right? Although it does block the focus ring sometimes.

to protect dust from entering via the focus ring?

That's a new one.:bsmilie:

to protect dust from entering via the focus ring?

Why does the dust need any protection? :bsmilie:
Have a look at your lenses, you will notice that a lens hood doesn't change anything for the focus ring. Wouldn't it be rather troublesome if a lens hood covered / blocked the focus ring?

Depends on individual, I don't see the reason why you should be talking bad about people with the hood put in reverse way. It's just like why do people put the quick release plate from a tripod when there is no tripod.

I put the hood reverse at times too because I may need and may not need the hood under different situations and it is more convenient than to take the hood in and out esp if you are carrying a backpack.

Anyway hoods come in different shapes and sizes, some might not hinder the zoom ring and at times people use autofocus for quick shots so manual focus ring might not be needed.

End of the day let us just respect how people want to use their camera and/or accessories, those are their items.

that is not truth, the use of lens hood is to shield the front element or filter away from any stray light, to help increase contrast of the images and preventing lens flare cause by strong light source.

so as long there is lights, ones should use lens hood, regardless is indoor or outdoor.

you can see cinematographers or professional photographers are using lens hood all the time.

two reasons:

this is true.

guys, just because you don't shoot with lens hood all the time, doesn't mean uncle catchlights is scolding you.......

we're all lazy sometimes. i also don't shoot with lens hood all the time. when i am less lazy i always mount the hood.