Why people give up photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

justdoit

Sep 29, 2003
Locations
You might be wondering why people give up photography.
I have a friend who used to snap using EOS 1V, last time saw him using P&S.
Similar case, I came across people who want to sell their equipment due to giving up of photography.

Is it the cost that stop them going forward, or is it the weight, time or what. or is it because nothing to shoot already.

I know this thread going to attract flames, but all comments are welcome.

Likely due to cost of equipment, depending on what you intends to invest and how far you want to go. But then again, if your passion for photography is very strong, it doesn't matter whether cost is a factor.

IMO, giving up and at the level you haven't go deep enough and is still okay. But if you have invested a lots of your time and money, it may be a waste to stop this hobby. Looking at the brighter side, it can gives you returns in years to come.

justdoit said:
Similar case, I came across people who want to sell their equipment due to giving up of photography.

Is it the cost that stop them going forward, or is it the weight, time or what. or is it because nothing to shoot already.

give up or take up the hobby...they only have to justify to themselves.
there are many reasons only known to themselves, so whatever it is, good luck to them. :)

just like any other hobby, people do quit when when the interest or novelty factor is lost.

justdoit said:

cost is definately not the main issue here. I think it's the lifestyle of each person. for a serious photog, the equipments are plentiful and very heavy, and cost a lot of $$$ and time. Can one accept all these and at the same time have a "normal" lifestyle - ie. family, friends, social, etc? Sometimes it looks ridiculous to use a "full" equipment to shoot a birthday party/or a small family function - everyone will be looking at you and expecting you to shoot for all the event and at the same time you will see another 5 persons who are also shooting but with P&S cams! It makes one looks silly. Maybe i also get a P&S!

justdoit said:

some people jus started and give upz, cause they have never being interested in photography in the first place, but rather the camera. To them, camera is jus another tech accessories to have jus like a fast com or a palm top. :dunno:
i find it getting common in today's context. (esp those 20-30 yr tech guys)

jus IMHO, dun flame me :sweat:

Some people started photography as a hobby when they were very young, learn more, older got more money buy more equipment, got more interested, but after some time, either work or family got in the way, they "downgrade" to P&S camera. Still the hobby never really dies away. It stays dormant and in time it will flourish again.

That's me.

When you are well grounded in it, photography never dies. You may lay low for a few years due to financial, work or family constraints(lack of time), but it will come back to you when the time is ripe, or when you bumb into forums such as Clubsnap to spur you on. :bsmilie:

justdoit said:
I have a friend who used to snap using EOS 1V, ....

Maybe that's why! :blah:

Relak lah...just kidding! :bsmilie:

lauLEE said:
cost is definately not the main issue here. I think it's the lifestyle of each person. for a serious photog, the equipments are plentiful and very heavy, and cost a lot of $$$ and time. Can one accept all these and at the same time have a "normal" lifestyle - ie. family, friends, social, etc? Sometimes it looks ridiculous to use a "full" equipment to shoot a birthday party/or a small family function - everyone will be looking at you and expecting you to shoot for all the event and at the same time you will see another 5 persons who are also shooting but with P&S cams! It makes one looks silly. Maybe i also get a P&S!

Dun be surprised there is alot of high quality P&S out there - Leica CM, Leica Minilux, Contax T-series, Minolta TC-1, Ricoh GR-series.
And those lens used in these P&S can surpass even some SLR's prime lens! They are indeed very impressive!
FYI, I use a Contax T3 and I am really blown away by it optical quality when I get the prints!
It might looks silly (not pro) to carry a P&S. But I dun really care coz to me a camera is just a tool to record what I had seen with my eyes. Just be comfortable. :lovegrin:

I use P&S most of the time nowadays - mju II, Hexar, GR1V.

Doesn't mean I've given up photography.

The big guns come out when I don't have to be sneaky.

i believe the no. 1 reason why people give up photography is;

"no more interest" and "no more passion"

that is.... the time and expense of the photography hobby does not reap the expected satisfaction and excitement of good/better/wonderful photographs.

equipment doesn't really figure here, motivation does.

In my opinion, there's no one real and good 'model-answer' reason why people give up. Like all hobbies, photography will come and go in life. No time, no money, lost interest, whatever. You may lose interest now, but somewhere down the road you find that life has no meaning, then you realise that, hey, you still have hobbies that you enjoyed in the past. Or a suddent event that spurs your interest (e.g. you found a new girlfriend who looks like Claudia Schiffer - ala "Love Actually")

Photography is an art. Really, it doesn't matter if you use a pro or an idiot camera. Just like drawing, no difference if you use normal foolscap paper and a lousy 2B pencil or an expensive white card-stock drawing paper and soft eraser. If you got the talent and the eye, then you get the picture. One famous fashion photographer (forgot his name) even uses the idiot-proof film camera for his fashion shoots!! How about that!

But it takes more than results to display your worth. Sometimes, you just have to be equipped with the 'right'-looking tools to be credible. It's like a pro tennis player carrying a low-grade racket. Yes it makes him look like a novice, but bet you he will beat the real novices in all games even if they carry pro-rackets. In the case of photograhy, would you trust a person to photograph your wedding with a compact camera (no matter how credible he is), or you'd rather go for the one who has a DSLR?

On the other hand, one shouldn't get a pro-cam just for the namesake. Photography, like all hobbies, should grow with you. Start with basic equipment, and when you find that you needed more features and control, then upgrade to the next level. One guy I knew just started digital photography and he bought a Minolta A1. 2 weeks later, he sold it, and got back to his film SLR. He's still in a dilemna about converting to pro (maybe tha A1 overwhelmed him). My advise is: get a good compact digicam (like Canon S50) and move on from there.

justdoit said:

You conclusion is strange. Isn't it because he DOESN'T want to give up photography that he traded his SLR for a P&S - so that he can go on shooting (without the weight getting in the way)? :dunno:

ya lor..photography doesn't have to use SLR only mah..i go ard with my contax T3 in my pouch too. :)

pianodancer said:
In the case of photograhy, would you trust a person to photograph your wedding with a compact camera (no matter how credible he is), or you'd rather go for the one who has a DSLR?

i dun mind david alan harvey photographing my wedding with his compact leica. :)

i rather have one photographer with a good portfolio and knows wad he is doing than a newbie with a SLR..

I guess he gives up photography as a hobby/art, not gives up as a neccessity to record down those special moments.
True lah, there are P&S or compact camera that produce good image quality.

Having said that, no doubt there are people who really give up photography and sell their equipments at low price.
For me, I won't give up for sure. At least will bring it along when travelling.

Last time I used to play diablo, after that stop for a few months, play again, stop again, yesterday install it again.

May be lifestyle change.
Like after getting married. The spouse is not interested in photography.
And you cannot even go out alone. If they go out with the spouse and
take some pictures, he/she will say "hurry up !! What is so nice about it."
Also maybe the complains like "my dear, stop wasting money in those gears"
:dunno: :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.