Why Pentax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us (me included) here chose Pentax because:
1. value for money
2. great cameras w/ built-in shake reduction, and excellent lenses especially prime lenses
3. Pentax colors
4. capable of using old lenses because Pentax dSLR cameras are compatible w/ all PK and M42 mount lenses.
5. being different from the rest

completely agree!

I started with a Pentax becoz I was looking for a Body that uses AA batteries. That's when i got the K100D.

Since then, I realize Pentax has the following plus points:
+ Inbuilt SR
So what? Sony and Olympus has them too, but they trail behind in the following points..
+ Usability(with SR!) & availability of the huge volume of K-mount lens, in 1st-hand and used markets.
+ better ISO performance
+ Value for money.
+ reknowned prime lenses and pancake lenses
+ intuitive to use ( e.g. green button )

For me..........:bsmilie:

Canon = Honda
Nikon = Toyota
Sony = Mitsubishi.......

PENTAX = Subaru........All weather, all terrian, all condition........affordable and reliable:thumbsup:

I thought Subaru is more exp than H/T/M leh :dunno:

1. love those FA* lines-up
2. SR body support MF lens better than canon body, special for those leica high resolutional R lenses. I mod all R mount to PK mount already and the SR works perfectly.

1. Best value for money compared to any competitor at the same price point
2. Best build standard at same price point
3. Good functions that count towards taking photos (SR, lens compatibility)
4. Intuitive controls/buttons
5. Can use old lenses easily (making entry into DSLR a much cheaper option, esp at the enthusiast level).

If 'buying into a system' is important, Pentax seems the least 'opportunistic/scheming' of the camera makers. I have never found a Pentax to be made purposely 'wanting'/'lacking' of a function/build standard.

OT : Displaying even a non functioning 645D in a display case is good publicity for the unknowing public. Everybody is attracted to the 'Big Guns' :)

definitely value for money. after doing a cost-benefit of all major brands, the only brand of dslr approved by the home/finance minister is Pentax! :bsmilie:

but frankly i just love the in-body shake reduction and the green button!

Last edited:
Primes mainly. If u are marketing Pentax, its best to emphasize its main selling point vs opposition

1) Small primes (esp the pancakes and limiteds) , compact body & sr for street shooting. Appeal to the ladies, travellers and street shooting. KM would be the top seller here.
2) Unequalled backwards compatibility in all bodies. Use ur grandpa's old lens. Nikon only meters with manual lens in the more pro bodies. Canon.....
3) Weather sealing. Try showing off K20D and weather sealed lens in lousy environments.
4) Best price / quality ratio. However, Sg prices are like meh. HK / Japan / Usa has better bargains. With things like vpost, people are more likely to buy from overseas. Also, this is probably chicken and egg but in the past, you are almost forced to buy from overseas (ebay especially) because lens/ accessories xyz is not in and not enough demand for it here due to small Pentax population. If i can buy it locally, I dun mind paying a 10% premium over overseas to get it fast but unfortunately...... In the end i buy overseas, and the critical mass for shipping it in never builds up.
5) Ergonomics. This is subjective but i switch from nikon slrs to pentax almost immediately whereas i still cant get used to Canons although pple ard me uses them.

Last edited:
For me, very simple ...

Hold K20D in your hand and mount FA77 Limited, you surely feel good ;)

I just don't get a good feeling when I tested out Olympus, Sony, Canon, while Nikon D3xx is way too heavy ...

For me,

1. Cost of system - Body, lens and accessories.
2. Stabilisation - selling point to me (stablisation in the body is more attractive to me then stabilisation in the lens.
3. Lens offering - Prime lens is a selling point.
4. Featues - I got the Ist DS because it was using 4 AA batteries.
5. Value for money - Pentax is very value for money, a down to earth brand. As a pragmatic person, I couldn't spent my money on brand.

I hope your price is reasonable as compared to what we can get overseas so that we would find that getting it in SG is much worthwhile.

I thought Subaru is more exp than H/T/M leh :dunno:

Canon = Honda S2000
Nikon = Toyota Celica
Sony = Mitsubishi Evo X.......

PENTAX = Subaru WRX.........:bsmilie:

Maybe now it's better...............
I think PENTAX is underrated...........

......I almost wanted to say Hyundai instead of Subaru....Really cheap and good and Korean!

I started out photography with the Pentax MZ50 entry level film SLR. My first digital is the Olympus E10 and if Olympus continued to develope that line of camera, I would probably still with Olympus. When i was looking for an upgrade, the Olympus E1 at that time was out of my budget. Did some research and found pentax DSLR is able to use back pentax old lenses, use of AA battery and light small body size which attracted me. Bought the Pentax *istDS which till today i'm still have it, still as reliable and can't bear to part with it.:bsmilie:

and...of course, being different from the rest.:)

For me, very simple ...

Hold K20D in your hand and mount FA77 Limited, you surely feel good ;)

I just don't get a good feeling when I tested out Olympus, Sony, Canon, while Nikon D3xx is way too heavy ...
Yap. Agree on this. The nicest feel is indeed with the FA77. I think it is mainly attributed to the density of the FA77 and the weight-distribution. I always feel touched holding the FA limiteds - could almost drop a tear. No kidding.

Last edited:
A couple of reasons
1)I was looking for a good camera that I could bring travelling when I did and I found the K200d. AA batteries and SD cards which are now so common everywhere is definitely a good thing in this case.the weather proofing also.

2) the weather proofing. As mentioned above, this means it can take additional crap that I give it and I tend to occasionally use my stuff in very uncomfortable conditions so its a plus. Plus, I'm the the swim team so when we go competitions I am able to take photos without being afraid that my cam would die on me.

3)pricing. I'm a student so price is a very very very important issue for me, especially since all me photography gear I have to pay for myself.

4) DA* lenses. weather proofing and great quality lenses for less then the pricing for comparable lenses in other brands is definietly a plus :D

1. Value for money. Before I started years ago, I researched the common brands and realised that the top of line lens were very ex. I was think if this was the case, then I will own a C/N body with all the 3rd party lens - what's the point. In Pentax, all the lens within reach for normal people....

2. Uniqueness. WRX? I think Pentax is more than that...

Hmmm... alot of the reasons here given by pentaxians are logical but mine has to do with a story.

My dad's had a SLR - the K1000 and it is the first SLR I picked up. Till now the impression of its solid built & the photos he took left a deep and lasting impression on me.

So, many years later when i thought of getting a DSLR, my head told me to go for the Cs & Ns but my heart whispered 'Pentax' and i got hooked all over again. Just like my dad ;)

P.S He recently got his K1000 refurbished and is back using it again

Like most people said,
When I was looking for a DSLR Pentax gave the best price and it gave me so much freedom in lens selection.
I like cheap and good manual glass so the in-body SR is very important.

Why Pentax instead of Oly or Sony? No real reasons really, just like how my K10 looks :p

Value for Money and Pentax Community is Awesome.

1. Good value specially for primes.
2. In-body stabilization.
3. Good backward compatibility with older lenses.
4. Weather-sealed body & lens.
5. Solid-built & construction. However, the plastic base of cam seemed to be the weakness.
6. Good layout of functions and controls.
7. Accurate AF. On par or better than competitive brands of same category.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
When I started out, I was looking for the smallest, lightest and cheapest DSLR I could find and I got my istDL. Boy was it an adventure because Pentax has the smallest, lightest and amongst the best limited lenses around and the people are so friendly !
Has since moved to a K100D and now own a K200D...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.