Why pay to shoot models?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shooter

Apr 30, 2005
Hi all,

I am pretty new to photography and just came to know about this interesting forum.

Can someone tell me why you would pay a non-professional model and shoot?? I saw some pics which the model can't pose nor pretty!!! I always think the models should be the one paying instead!!

Is it for the experience or fun or....?? :dunno:

cos none of my friends would pose for me? so i got to 'pay' them? (a meal is also payment ok)

Recently, I've found a large group of model who would pose for me pretty well. :D Anywhere from HDB estates to forests. They'll be there for me.

yanyewkay said:
cos none of my friends would pose for me? so i got to 'pay' them? (a meal is also payment ok)

Recently, I've found a large group of model who would pose for me pretty well. :D Anywhere from HDB estates to forests. They'll be there for me.

You mean the butterflies, like your avatar? ;)

they are no camera shy .
more pretty . more curves . more photogenic . more more more ..

There are few thosand/million of them if you look lower :D

zerofour said:
There are few thosand/million of them if you look lower :D
yups they are all over.. can't get any lower than the one in my avatar..kekek.. really on the floor and really tiny :lovegrin:

oops.. we OT from thread #2.. my bad.

shooter said:
Hi all,

I am pretty new to photography and just came to know about this interesting forum.

Can someone tell me why you would pay a non-professional model and shoot?? I saw some pics which the model can't pose nor pretty!!! I always think the models should be the one paying instead!!

its for fun joy and laughter (or for major nosebleed whatever)...
come on man, unless u are saying u are a pro photog who does photography as a main job (which in this case, u probably have ur own line of models queueing up for u to take pictures of them)

what makes u think e photos u take for them are worth them paying u instead? :bsmilie: Given the fact that they might not be pro models who knows how to pose (and who says a model must be pretty????), at least they are giving u their time for u to take pictures of them... :)

Very Simple....
1) I am free on weekends.
2) Gather with my Kakis to shoot the model.
3) Make Merry with Kakis and Model
4) Go home happy after making new friend.
5) Post pics on Clubsnap and wait for professional advice.
6) Repeat from step 1 , next week.

nikonsiao said:
Very Simple....
1) I am free on weekends.
2) Gather with my Kakis to shoot the model.
3) Make Merry with Kakis and Model
4) Go home happy after making new friend.
5) Post pics on Clubsnap and wait for professional advice.
6) Repeat from step 1 , next week.

Being address as Guru ... ;p

Professional models got professional rates
Freelance models got freelance rates
Part-time models got part-time rates
Newbie models got newbie rates

For the model to be paying, she will need to be assured of getting good photographs. Most of the paid model shoots does not obligate the photographers to provide photographs to the model - in such a case, why should the model pay?

In any event the corollary would be

Professional photographers got professional rates
Freelance photographers got freelance rates
Part-time photographers got part-time rates
Newbie/Hobbyist photographers got newbie/hobbyist rates.

Get it?

shooter said:
Hi all,

A newbie with 2 posts and asking such a question... intending for flame war? :think:

espn said:
A newbie with 2 posts and asking such a question... intending for flame war? :think:

Actually hor, if everybody remembered, I also asked this question too during my early days in Clubsnap. :p

Zeckson Chow said:
Actually hor, if everybody remembered, I also asked this question too during my early days in Clubsnap. :p
Not the way he/she phrased it - "-snip- non-professional model and shoot?? I saw some pics which the model can't pose nor pretty!!! I always think the models should be the one paying instead!!"

Zeckson Chow said:

Zeckson would be able to give u a good answer as to why you should pay! The guy paid for a budget hotel to shoot a girl he got to know from friendster, or was it ICQ? :dunno: Did you pay the girl as well Zeckson?

Practise makes perfect.

actually no need to be pro to be paid. Sometime ago, I've heard of newbie models paying to get their photos shot for port folios.. then came along TFP where photogs are happy to shoot for free while the models get their portfolio done.. for free too..

Actually, TFP has been around for a very long while.

Assuming no con job involved, the reason why newbie models pay to get their photos shot was because professional photographers are involved. These pros won't waste their time doing TFPs for newbies.

Same as how professional models won't waste their time doing TFPs for newbie photographers. It's usually an alignment of skill levels which determine whether there is payment involved.

yanyewkay said:
actually no need to be pro to be paid. Sometime ago, I've heard of newbie models paying to get their photos shot for port folios.. then came along TFP where photogs are happy to shoot for free while the models get their portfolio done.. for free too..

shooter said:
Hi all,

I agree with espn, this is definately intended to start a flame war, and at the very least a windup.

Statements like "... can't post ... nor pretty ..." is rather inflamatory.

Guys, no flame war please... Enough liao... Don't small small thing start chemical war, stone war, egg war, flame / water war... Peace... Peace... :)

no one is starting any war wah... :dunno:
why u so kan jiong? :bsmilie:

anyway, mods will step in if the thread goes out of hand, u dun have to worry about them doing their job... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.