Why Olympus or M43 users should keep their gear?

It would be really funny that Panny goes APS-C. The 2 formats are rather close. Why dump everything they have created and start again in APS-C?

Just because Oly is selling the imaging line, it does not mean the end of the consortium. Why do you keep harping on it? Or are you hoping for a mass exodus to pick cheap stuff? It's not happening. Even with the discontinuation of the fourthird line, there are still people looking to the bodies and lenses.

If you really into cheap discontinued stuff, try looking at Casio and Samsung. you might find some cheap stuff there.

"The 2 formats are rather close". Actually previously I did think of it just like you. But the REAL world has proven that this situation works.
The big manufacturers Pentax (APS-C + Full Frame + Medium format) + Leica (APS-C + Full Frame + Medium format) + Nikon, Canon, Sony (APS-C and Full Frame) seem to think differently from you. Maybe you know better than them. They have APS-C and Full Frame product lines.

In fact the APS-C Canon M50 (maybe Mk2 soon?) + M6 (now Mk2 and soon Mk3) are BIG money spinners for Canon.
Much more revenue than their top Full Frame models.

This is the Cash Cow. This is the Goose that Laid the Golden Eggs.
For now in 2020. Consumer preferences may change in future.

While R5 and R6 challenge rivals on the Full Frame format.

Quote dated 13 Aug 2020 from digitalcameraworld.com { Canon's 45.4% market share is greater than Sony, Nikon and Fuji's combined. Canon is still the undisputed champion of the camera industry, with a huge 45.4% share of the global camera market – which is greater than the shares of Sony, Nikon and Fujifilm combined.} UnQuote

The statistic is obviously from 2019 annual data because we are now still in Aug 2020.

The figure for Panasonic is 4.7% which is very bad. They better abandon MFT and change the direction of the ship before it crashes into the iceberg.

Olympus MFT market share in recent years was a miserable 2%.
In a Covid1-9 affected pandemic world, Olympus MFT market share may be 0.1% market share in 2020 if the company camera division had not kaput in mid-2019.

That is how bad it is for MFT.

The numbers prove it.
Despite what we want to imagine or believe.

The topic here is why we keep m43 equipment , not why we need to abandon m43 equipment. Get a Life.

Agree with JW73. There is no need for you to keep condemning the system. Just go get yourself the Canon or whatever, leave us here to enjoy the mft. I don't need to read your views. I have enough of it.

Reactions: swifty and skf
It would be really funny that Panny goes APS-C. The 2 formats are rather close. Why dump everything they have created and start again in APS-C?

Just because Oly is selling the imaging line, it does not mean the end of the consortium. Why do you keep harping on it? Or are you hoping for a mass exodus to pick cheap stuff? It's not happening. Even with the discontinuation of the fourthird line, there are still people looking to the bodies and lenses.

If you really into cheap discontinued stuff, try looking at Casio and Samsung. you might find some cheap stuff there.
I think Panasonic are in a tricky position because they've (along with Olympus) have worked so hard to build a full and excellent m43 system.
But the reason that Panasonic may eventually adopt APS-C in L mount is that their L-mount partners uses that format. Leica already have L-mount APS-C cameras and lenses whilst Sigma already have APS-C lenses as well as APS-C Fovean sensors ready to go if they want to bring out an APS-C L-mount camera.
But abandoning the m43 seems like an even sillier thing to do with the well established and mature ecosystem so I don't think they'll go anywhere unless market shrinkage forces their hand.

So even if they do APS-C L-mount, I can see them making a twin L-mount/m43-mount camera with identical specs including the use of the same APS-C sensor, just differing in mount. The m43-mount one can then use the APS-C sensor in multi-aspect ratio mode and maximise the full image circle of m43. It'd be the ultimate multi-format ratio camera for m43 and I'd buy that to replace my G9 if they bring it out.

Going forward if Panasonic can source 2 sensors, a high MP m43 sized one to maintain m43's pixel density advantage, and an APS-C one >28MP for multi-aspect ratio shooting, that'd keep their m43 lineup very attractive IMO. Both those sensors already exists btw.

Another option is to bring out native m43 <-> L adapters.

Swifty, you have to remember that Panny is also a sensor manufacturer. So anything can happen. How far back is the current Panny S1? If it's forward enough (like the 4/3) they could add an adapter for the mft to use the FF lenses but not the other way around. I doubt the mft light circle is big enough for the FF sensor.

P.S. Just read this Nikon Guy going mirrorless
Where do you think he is moving to?

The topic here is why we keep m43 equipment , not why we need to abandon m43 equipment. Get a Life.

Because you always need to have the view from both sides.
Or was it supposed to be a delusional Fanboy thread?

Swifty, you have to remember that Panny is also a sensor manufacturer. So anything can happen. How far back is the current Panny S1? If it's forward enough (like the 4/3) they could add an adapter for the mft to use the FF lenses but not the other way around. I doubt the mft light circle is big enough for the FF sensor.

P.S. Just read this Nikon Guy going mirrorless
Where do you think he is moving to?
Hi Blu By-U, unfortunately Panasonic has divested their sensor business already. Their remaining JV with TowerJazz (TPSCo) has been sold off although I can't remember whether the deal is completed though.

The L-mount's flange back distance is longer than the m43 mount by 0.75mm, but the throat diameter is significantly larger so the entire m43 lens mount can fit inside the L-mount. It's not an easy adapter to make but a m43 lens to L-mount adapter is at least theoretically possible.
It'd actually be impossible the other way around, meaning an L-mount lens to m43 mount adapter because a 0.75mm thickness adapter on the outside would just be impossible.

M43 lenses are only guaranteed up to the m43 image circle (some may be larger but don't count on it). When used on a larger sensor such as APS-C or FF you're certain to get (severe) vignetting if you're using the whole sensor. The point of multiaspect ratio sensors is you crop in from an oversized sensor in any ratio up to whatever the m43 image circle allows. If you're not familiar with the concept have a look at cameras such as the GH2.
Normally when we want a different aspect ratio, we'd have to crop in from the m43 sensor so we'd use an even smaller sensor area for our capture. When cropping in from a larger sensor, you'd maintain the maximum image diagonal of 21.6mm in any aspect ratio.
Eg. If you use an APS-C sensor, you can crop any landscape ratio up to 1:1 and still maximise the 21.6mm diameter of the m43 circle.
If you use a FF, you can crop any landscape or portrait ratio meaning there'd be no need to turn the camera at all.
I agree you wouldn't use a FF sensor just for this ability, but it has been suggested it's easier and cheaper to source APS-C sensors than m43 sensors so this additional ability to crop to any ratio seems like good added bonus.

Yea I read somewhere that Matt Granger has sold off his Nikon DSLR gear. TBH I rarely watch youtubers so I really wouldn't know but their business model is somewhat tied to generating drama so ppl would watch their channels. It could be any of Canikony I think, maybe Canon just cos they have a bit of momentum atm and are in a rapid growth stage with probably lots of gear to review in the medium term vs a more matured Sony system and a slower Nikon system.

Because you always need to have the view from both sides.
Or was it supposed to be a delusional Fanboy thread?
Pls start a new thread on correct topic. U are most welcome to give views. People click the thread base on the topic and its down right rude to see the discussion going out of topic. If u want to discuss why we should abandon m43 pls start a new thread. Basic manner.
Pls read the very 1st post of the thread b4 commenting. I just wanna stay relevant to the thread starter.

Start a bashing thread..I will kindly contribute my part

Last edited:
Reactions: Blu-By-U
"If you are a non-believer of M43, your feedback is still welcomed "

If the idea is to have a closed loop mentality and only listen to one point of view, then that is precisely why Olympus Camera Division failed so miserably.
This is not bashing.
This is presenting to readers the historical facts of the market share which is documented.

The thread is:
"why-olympus-or-m43-users-should-keep-their-gear"

The view expressed is that it being a small market share format, and with one of two big manufacturers giving up, chances are the value of MFT equipment will fall steeply in resale value over time. That one should be aware of that.
Of course, if the owner does not need the money, then resale is a moot point.
Otherwise, need to reconsider in order to recoup monetary losses.

"If you are a non-believer of M43, your feedback is still welcomed "

If the idea is to have a closed loop mentality and only listen to one point of view, then that is precisely why Olympus Camera Division failed so miserably.
This is not bashing.
This is presenting to readers the historical facts of the market share which is documented.

The thread is:
"why-olympus-or-m43-users-should-keep-their-gear"

The view expressed is that it being a small market share format, and with one of two big manufacturers giving up, chances are the value of MFT equipment will fall steeply in resale value over time. That one should be aware of that.
Of course, if the owner does not need the money, then resale is a moot point.
Otherwise, need to reconsider in order to recoup monetary losses.

Pls quote the entire thread starter message. He / she already stated don‘t compare the things that you kept mentioning for the entire thread. Are u a photography investor or shooter? Everyone who is interested in photography knew what is going on with m43 & there’s no need to harp on it. Don’t take things in your own context please. I am getting on with my life. Last message here. Good night!

Last edited:
Very strangely, the discussion has taken a personal attack theme.
The discussion is about cameras, markets and concepts.
But has now become vituperative against anyone who does not praise MFT.
Apparently this reveals the heightening anxiety of those who like MFT very much or who are in possession of much MFT equipment worrying about its steep drop in value.
Hoping to stop further comments.

The intention was probably a trick to bait and divert one to an unnecessary & unwholesome online quarrel.
Thus will not reply directly to posters of this recent new line of attack dog posts.

In this way frustrating the attempt to control the direction of comments; such that members only dare to post comments praising Olympus MFT and MFT in general.

One can choose not to read the posts if they do not like the content.

What they fear most is that OTHERS will read the comments and draw their conclusions about Olympus MFT and MFT in general.

Thus WILL continue to add comments.

Such as the following:

Consumer education is important. Clients and Client Organisations have rights too, as consumers.

As consumers, Clients and Client Organisations can specify in the Quotation or Tender documents to hire a professional photographer that they do not permit nor accept MFT equipment or below (meaning mobile phones and compact cameras) being used. The professional photographer must use APS-C or Full Frame or Medium Format.

Now what if a professional photographer insists on using MFT for the event assignment or product shot assignment?

Well, the Clients and Client Organisations can reject the offer.
And point out that many other professional photographers are more than happy to meet the equipment requirements.
In other words, goodbye and please do not call us again.

Both are free to choose.

The professional photographer can continue to insist on using MFT for PAID assignments. (if anyone wants to hire him).

The Clients and Client Organisations can specify a minimum standard of equipment used to cover their important event or used to photograph their important expensive product for commercials. And PAY the professional photographer accordingly.

So should Olympus MFT or MFT users keep their MFT equipment?

Maybe the answer is NO in the long term, if one is a professional photographer.

The Clients and Client Organisations can specify as described above, when they buy the services of a professional photographer.

To everyone in this thread:
Please read the subject and then please verify with your contribution. Brand wars, format bashing and other forms of fanboy-ism can stay outside.
Off-topic postings are not welcome and any personal attacks will get special attention from moderators and admins.

Reactions: JW73 and Blu-By-U
Very strangely, the discussion has taken a personal attack theme.
The discussion is about cameras, markets and concepts.
But has now become vituperative against anyone who does not praise MFT.
Apparently this reveals the heightening anxiety of those who like MFT very much or who are in possession of much MFT equipment worrying about its steep drop in value.
Hoping to stop further comments.
Please read the subject again and verify against your statement (highlighted). Thank you.

For those considering to sell off their M43 gear, have a look at this video first.
It may convince you to keep your M43 gear, or at least, as an alternative system

The video is pretty technical so I don't think it is an paid ambassador but from someone who discovered the benefits of M43.

So, ricohflex, what are you saying? Discard all the m43 stuff, flooded the market with OLD m43 stuff? wait..better yet, just fill the garbage heap with it. Forget reselling them as you claim them to be useless and not worth using. Everyone buy those FF stuff.

Get a life lah. You don't want to use, you don't need to go around quoting all nonsensical stuff. This misquoting is more accurate.

As the thread ask, Why Olympus or M43 users should keep their gear? It is not asking for you on WHY NOT. So unless you have something to share related to the title, please refrain from commenting.
Ricohflex, you should start a thread on the negative aspect of this thread. Something like "Why Olympus or M43 users should NOT keep their gears"

I am always wondering why people spent extra thousands dollars for a FF 40plus Mp sensor body + full frame glass and think cropping to 20mp to look like m43 image is a good idea. Too much money or feel secure w FF? That's why m43 for tele use has its place still.

Just accompanied my son to check out the Sony A7c and Sony A7Riii and iv.
In the end he settled for the A7Riii as he prepare more custom buttons and the extra dial which Sony removed from the A7c to make it small.
My son of course pop up the natural question, will I be selling away my M43 gear?

I told him, of course not. Just look at the size of the 200-600 lenses. It is not suitable for most of my traveling.
I prefer my Pana 100-300 (200-600 equivalent) which I can even put in my waist pouch.
For the same reason why most people prefer not to carry a medium format camera for travel or family outings,
quality may not always be the number 1 priority (unless you are a paid professional or perfectionist etc).

One need to look at the practicality of what we can carry for the occasion.
Though I now have access to a A7Riii, I will still want to keep my Olympus & M43 gear!

Reactions: richiemccaw1
As long as one can afford it. There is no need to sell currently owned equipment - in order to buy new equipment, which may or may not be of a different sensor format. You can then choose to use the equipment that best suits the purpose for any particular outing/trip/event.
Naturally, one would usually choose the best and latest within any particular predetermined budget.
Price and potential future growth prospects of the sensor format/system chosen - are some of the factors to consider in the buying decision.
But if a user had already decided to sell MFT, for whatever reasons, then should do so quickly after Olympus 24 Jun 2020 announcement in order to secure the best selling price.

Last edited:
Ricohflex, whatever you are doing, it's not working. You can spread all your seeds of fear. Just browse the forsale thread, Not many mft are on sale. Looks like there are still many hanging on to their gears. There is not firesale for you to buy lower than normal used stuff.

So please read the title. We are staying and not giving up our gears.