Why Olympus E systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernie_ng81

May 26, 2004
Singapore
Iv all along have a liking to Olympus cameras but due to budget constraints and wanting a wider range of new lens, I am starting to consider the D50 and 350D DSLRs.

Can someone tell me why you guys prefer the E systems to the other DSLR brands?

Im a newcomer to DSLRs.

Iv all along been a film user but do have a C5060 along with my Rolleiflex 3.5F MF camera, Oly Pen-EE3, Holga...etc

i prefer O's color +low price+8m size
even i know 350d has better low noise in low lighting.
:D

I used to be a olympus user, but like to play with lens. And olympus lens are not that much variety and very ex. So in the end I change to Nikon D50 and got myself 3 fantastic lens which I will never get in Olympus Zuiko. Even if I get, it will be very ex.

i can easily change to other system without much regards to the the amount of lenses that i have.

but i didnt due to some other restrictions i know of all the camera brands. most importantly is to shoot more, know the limitations of the system and overcome it.

what i like about oly zuiko lenses and system are colour reproduction, accurate sharpness, no vignetting (which cause by bad design), good bokeh, dust buster (changing of lens like nobody business in anywhere anytime), .... and some others which i cant tell off hand now. (some of the things are not replaceable by PP, curves or something like that).

of course, there are several short comings in the system but it is whether u can overcome it or choose other brand system.

mind you that zuiko lenses are good lenses that should be priced as such. u dont get kits lens that good at excellent pricing. the average lens like 11-22 is so sweet liao, those who got it, most likely will not sell it unless for some other reasons. of course, i am still sour grapes about expensive pricing in singapore.

just dont blame the system for the bad pictures u might take but yourself for the lack of shooting/learning experience.

NMSS_2 said:
just dont blame the system for the bad pictures u might take but yourself for the lack of shooting/learning experience.

Can you explain what you mean, as a photographer, this is a very irresponsible sentence coming out from ur mouth

Sp9914957 said:
Can you explain what you mean, as a photographer, this is a very irresponsible sentence coming out from ur mouth

i meant brands/systems in general. regardless of any brands in the market, there bound to have photographers who cant make full use of the camera due to their failure to "appreciate" it.

the sentence was written with my hands, not mouth. :confused: there is nothing wrong with my statement either. :dunno:

Still the same. Irresponsible .

Do I need to mention the "dust buster"? Some Canon and Nikon users (who regularly change lenses) have to clean their sensors daily, whereas most Oly users have never manually cleaned their sensor (in two years use). Even Phil Askey (of DPReview.com) who is a professional reviewer, recently took a photo of a resolution chart with the new Canon, and the image has obvious dust spots.

As well, the original advertising material for the E-1 shows the same image (of a white ball) taken with the E-1 and the then Canon and Nikon cameras, and the E-1 has obvious extended dynamic range (the number of shades between light and dark) while the Canon and Nikon cameras have a sharp cutoff rather than a smooth transition.

Yeah... iv been doing quite a lot of thinkin and yet, not come to a final conclusion yet!!! :sweat:

Il still have a couple of weeks before I head back to Singapore to get my camera.

Europe's too darn EX for a DSLR

Sp9914957 said:

believed he meant that there are photographers who blamed the equipment for the poor pictures, even though they themselves (rather than the equipment) are the ones at fault. not sure why u find this irresponsible, maybe u misread the meaning?

ernie_ng81 said:
Yeah... iv been doing quite a lot of thinkin and yet, not come to a final conclusion yet!!! :sweat:

Il still have a couple of weeks before I head back to Singapore to get my camera.

Europe's too darn EX for a DSLR

you might have to look at US for cheaper option. see whether shipping and taxes for UK do translate in cheaper price as compared to singapore. OLY in singapore do take care of their world wide customers' camera bodies...... not sure about lenses though.

Olympus has the cheapest weather sealed DSLR, "anti-dust", new lenses designed for use with the camera, external TTL flash, etc.

The only lacking areas in my opinion are
1. fast startup
2. fast burst rate
3. IS/VR/AS lenses/bodies
4. wireless flash support
5. >10MP resolution bodies
6. deep second hand market.

Of course, these might not be important for all (many are not important for me too!), especially those looking for a decent entry system. I would gladly picked up the Olympus system if it were available earlier at a lower price point (then, the cheapest Olympus DSLR is the >$4k E1!).

Actually I don't find the E-system 'that' expensive. It's actually very affordable.

I have friends who bought other system and have purchased/traded lots of lenses to find one that really good and suitable. For me, I have been using only 3 lenses, which are very good, and even got praised by them (I mean the lenses)!

A friend even mentioned that he might need to get a 'Luxury' lens on his system to match or surpass my E-300's 14-45 kit lens!

A couple of people also ask me how do I clean my CCD, and I just told them never yet after 10-months! Few of them have sent their cameras in for cleaning (chargeable?).

Well, all these factors may not be important to everybody, but at least to me, who doesn't have much $$$ to spare but love photography, it is very very important.

Just me 2 cents.

ernie_ng81 said:
Iv all along have a liking to Olympus cameras but due to budget constraints and wanting a wider range of new lens, I am starting to consider the D50 and 350D DSLRs.

Im a newcomer to DSLRs....

Not to mention the relatively smaller lsize of the lens compared to other brands for the zoom range.

Guess Oly is not for everyone cause different brands are strong with different features and accessories.

NMSS_2 said:
looks like my statement strike a chord with your response. :think: if that is the case, then i apologise.
I feel that there is no need for you to apologise. I don't see anything wrong nor 'irresponsible' with your statement. It's a factual statement. Most likely it's '说者无心,听者有意' :(

We all know that it's the person behind the camera that takes the picture, not the camera.

Anyway, I went with the E-system mainly because of the good deal of the dual-lens package, focusing accuracy and the dust-buster.

Sp9914957 said:

There is absolutely nothing irrresponsible about NMSS_2's statement.

The problem is your lack of understanding about equipment and making images.

ernie_ng81 said:

Im a newcomer to DSLRs.

Iv all along been a film user but do have a C5060 along with my Rolleiflex 3.5F MF camera, Oly Pen-EE3, Holga...etc

I use a Olympus E1 with the 14-54 zooms. I also have other gears.

But I have realised one important thing. My photography involves lenses from 24 mm to 100 mm. I have NO NEED for a wider range of lenses. So the advantage of Nikon and Canon in the wider selection of lenses is of no relevance to me.

Now I can use a Nikon and Canon with a similar zoom like the 14-54. But I jusr happen to like the colors of the Olympus. I do like the colors of the Fuji also. But I do not like the weight of the Fuji. Matter of personal preference.

NMSS_2 said:
Sp9914957 said:
looks like my statement strike a chord with your response. :think: if that is the case, then i apologise.

NMSS_2, U no need to apologise one. ;p cos Sp9914957 is just a Kid

Do I need to repeated my quote again? :bsmilie:

"A true Master can overcome its Weakness to become his Strength"

yeah... well, i just wanted assurance that olympus is still good for me! :bsmilie:

Number 1 choice for me still like most of u here! ;)

im probably gonna go for the E-500 dual lens zoom kit but then, with the price tag on it in uk, its just gonna bust my budget and might not even be able to then buy a high end CF card.

Status
Not open for further replies.