Why Nikon vs Canon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckiang

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Hi,

Well, we have all heard/seen/read Nikon vs Canon debates, much like PC vs Mac. I still wonder why we don't really see/hear things like Minolta vs Pentax or vs any other brand, or other combinations. :p

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
Hi,

Well, we have all heard/seen/read Nikon vs Canon debates, much like PC vs Mac. I still wonder why we don't really see/hear things like Minolta vs Pentax or vs any other brand, or other combinations. :p

huh? why bother? :D

honestly the reason is that minolta and pentax is "out of the running" no matter how much their fans may defend these 2 brands :p

the lack of userbase = less money = less money for development.

but minota have a very successful business in other things, so they can catch up if they can channel some of their money into their photography line.

Minolta and Pentax do not have a good enough range of products and when you look at their pro lenses, they are much much more expensive than Nikon or Minolta. Some say that minolta is cost effetive, but when you check out minolta's G lenses for the standard zoom and the mid range zoom, you'll see that they are over priced.

:p

Because they are both fighting to be the market leader. Both compete head on, EOS 1v vs F5, D60 vs D100, IS vs VR....etc.
The rest are either follower (sigma) or are catering to a niche market (Leica).

here is a comparim of their 2 most important zoom

the 28-70 f2.8 and the 70-200 f2.8 range,
compare the price, but keep in mind the AFS vs the Screwdriver lenses..

Pentax
Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto SMCP-FA* 28-70mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens

Zoom Telephoto SMCP-FA* 80-200mm f/2.8 ED IF Autofocus Lens

Minolta
Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-70mm f/2.8 G Autofocus Lens

Zoom Telephoto AF 80-200mm f/2.8 APO G Autofocus Lens

Nikon
Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF-S Zoom Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8D ED-IF Autofocus Lens

Zoom Telephoto AF-S Zoom Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED-IF Autofocus Lens

Zoom Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8D ED Autofocus Lens (with Tripod Collar)

Canon
Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens

Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS (Image Stabilizer) USM Autofocus Lens

Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens

I guess the price is different but ain't that much anyway :p

I think the reasons are a bit more subtle than so far mentioned.

Both Canon and Nikon agressively market their products at an amateur level towards quite specific psychological purchaser profiles and have done so since the late 60s. Both manufacturers also agressively persue the professional market, which Pentax (in 135 format at least) have dropped and which Minolta have only sporadically supported in the past 20 years or so.

Of course to those in the know it doesn't matter a whit as neither company have a commanding lead over the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.