Why Nikon is so exclusive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edward1

Jan 31, 2005
Not trying to start a war here, but here are some facts that I observe happening in Singapore:

Canon's sponsored events are open to everyone. For example, The Car's the Star, Canon Photo Marathon, etc.

Nikon's sponsored events are exclusive for Nikon SLR users only. For example, Maxim bikini contest and the Big Walk.

I'm a Canon DSLR users, and quite dissapointed of not being able to participate in Nikon's events.

Its a marketing approach I think. To be in the club, you have to use their cameras. It somehow makes current users feel exclusive or maybe they wish to attract people to buy their cameras. I dont feel there's anything wrong with attending events with different cameras. Oh well, I might be wrong. I feel rather disappointed too.

edward1 said:
Not trying to start a war here, but here are some facts that I observe happening in Singapore:

Canon's sponsored events are open to everyone. For example, The Car's the Star, Canon photoshot, etc.

Nikon's sponsored events are exclusive for Nikon SLR users only. For example, Maxim bikini contest and the Big Walk.

I'm a Canon DSLR users, and quite dissapointed of not being able to participate in Nikon's events.

1) The events have openings for Canon/Minolta/Panasonic/Sony users as well, but priority is given to the Nikon users - eg, Bird Shooting Workshop (2003), Portraiture Workshop (2005). Such workshops are limited in numbers, and mostly are snapped up fast within 1-2 days. Nikon D2X launch was given to all members of CS. With 140 slots reserved by NPS members. So, not ALL events are exclusively Nikon.

2) Not only SLR users are invited, CoolPix, APS users are also invited to the event. There was no mentioning that only SLR/DSLR users may participate. Nikon loans the equipments like lenses & bodies, so people may try them.

I'll see if I can feedback to Nikon about your concerns.

Cheers.

espn said:
1) The events have openings for Canon/Minolta/Panasonic/Sony users as well, but priority is given to the Nikon users - eg, Bird Shooting Workshop (2003), Portraiture Workshop (2005). Such workshops are limited in numbers, and mostly are snapped up fast within 1-2 days. Nikon D2X launch was given to all members of CS. With 140 slots reserved by NPS members. So, not ALL events are exclusively Nikon.

2) Not only SLR users are invited, CoolPix, APS users are also invited to the event. There was no mentioning that only SLR/DSLR users may participate. Nikon loans the equipments like lenses & bodies, so people may try them.

I'll see if I can feedback to Nikon about your concerns.

Cheers.
Hey espn. Yah man do bring it up to Nikon. Maybe they can get more people to go over to the dark side. Good promotional opportunity here.

hazmee said:
Its a marketing approach I think. To be in the club, you have to use their cameras. It somehow makes current users feel exclusive or maybe they wish to attract people to buy their cameras. I dont feel there's anything wrong with attending events with different cameras. Oh well, I might be wrong. I feel rather disappointed too.

Let's just put it this way, for the Big Walk 2005, it's an event sponsored by Nikon. They (Nikon SG) loaned out their arsenal in full to the event reporters. The prizes were also by Nikon, Nikon lenses, Nikon CoolPixes and Nikon speedlights. Apart from the Nikon CoolPixes, I think other users have no other use for the speedlights/lenses, so is it really necessary to open it to the floor? However, I do applaud Canon for their prizes like Grapphire Tablets, PowerShots and DSLR bodies ;)

The events are given to Nikon users also for the sake of acknowledging the loyalty for the users of the Nikon brand, as a form of recognition also, take the Big Walk/Maxim shoot for example.

Attracting attention is every market's first priority, even for Canon/Minolta etc. Even Hassy. Nothing wrong too.

espn said:
1) Nikon D2X launch was given to all members of CS. With 140 slots reserved by NPS members. So, not ALL events are exclusively Nikon.

Well.. I fully understand why Nikon D2X launch is open to all camera users.. ;)

canon's photo marathon comes to mind. but open to all digital camera users. i guess different approach by different manufacturers. it would be good if nikon opens up too. i think for events like big walk, its not in a confined space so should be able to open all. if photography workshop or seminar then of course its ok to give your own customers priority.

espn said:
Apart from the Nikon CoolPixes, I think other users have no other use for the speedlights/lenses, so is it really necessary to open it to the floor?
well they can always exclude these items from the pool of gifts and instead, provide prizes that anyone can use.

If they want to treat/reward Nikon users, it could be that if you win a prize, and you are a Nikon users, congrats, there is a extra gift/prize for you for your loyalty to the brand.

espn said:
Let's just put it this way, for the Big Walk 2005, it's an event sponsored by Nikon. They (Nikon SG) loaned out their arsenal in full to the event reporters. The prizes were also by Nikon, Nikon lenses, Nikon CoolPixes and Nikon speedlights. Apart from the Nikon CoolPixes, I think other users have no other use for the speedlights/lenses, so is it really necessary to open it to the floor? However, I do applaud Canon for their prizes like Grapphire Tablets, PowerShots and DSLR bodies ;)

The events are given to Nikon users also for the sake of acknowledging the loyalty for the users of the Nikon brand, as a form of recognition also, take the Big Walk/Maxim shoot for example.

Attracting attention is every market's first priority, even for Canon/Minolta etc. Even Hassy. Nothing wrong too.

Well thank you for the explanation Espn. However the reason might be, I still dont understand why such events cater only to Nikon users when they can actually expand their target audiences to other camera brand users also. Just curious to know why. Anyway I dont mind winning any nikon products. At least I get to try them. Cheers!

edward1 said:
Well.. I fully understand why Nikon D2X launch is open to all camera users.. ;)

Actually the launch was by invitation only too, they were checking names at the door. There was an open invitation to CS members, courtesy of espn's efforts.

Just part of the marketing moves.

Think of it another way, If I am a Nikon user but has no place for me in a Nikon event because other brand was given equal priority. I will definately feel undeserved.

caseytan said:
well they can always exclude these items from the pool of gifts and instead, provide prizes that anyone can use.

If they want to treat/reward Nikon users, it could be that if you win a prize, and you are a Nikon users, congrats, there is a extra gift/prize for you for your loyalty to the brand.

Well, put it this way, would you prefer a 3+K worth of prize or just a few hundreds of small small common items?

1st Prize - Big Walk
17-55 - $2.2
Sb-800 - $630
Dry cabinet - $100

Total is 2.9+K.

You'd prefer

Coolpix 5900 - $699
1GB SD card - $100
Table tripod - $30

Total - $8xx ?

If other branded users were allowed to join and won away the prizes, then how would the Nikon Users feel? Not it doesn't seem to make so much sense, does it?

hazmee said:
Well thank you for the explanation Espn. However the reason might be, I still dont understand why such events cater only to Nikon users when they can actually expand their target audiences to other camera brand users also. Just curious to know why. Anyway I dont mind winning any nikon products. At least I get to try them. Cheers!

What would you do with a 17-55 and/or SB-800? :dunno: No offence, but the way I see it is, I've totally no use for them if I'm not a Nikon user, end up? B&S. Same goes if I win a 17-40L or even 16-35L. I won't go and buy a body just to fit the glass, would you?

So if that's the case, why open to the floor and end up, the Nikon users don't benefit?

Terence said:
Actually the launch was by invitation only too, they were checking names at the door. There was an open invitation to CS members, courtesy of espn's efforts.
Hi Terence,

chngpe01 was the contact point for CS invitation & Nikon SG's. I merely offered to help chngpe01 as he couldn't make it for the launch and help to verify the attendance. I didn't do anything to help co-ordinate the launch between CS & NSG. :)

binbeto said:
Just part of the marketing moves.

Think of it another way, If I am a Nikon user but has no place for me in a Nikon event because other brand was given equal priority. I will definately feel undeserved.

well its perfect acceptable for priority to be given to nikon users if the event was held in some seminar room. but i'm very sure there will be space for you at outdoor events like big walk.

the grand prize for the canon photo marathon was a 20d kit.

http://www.photomarathon.com.sg/

well i'm not sure if the winner is a canon or nikon user. but if he was a nikon user than congratulations to him cos he deserved it.

anyway...if i won a prize that i couldn't use or have no need for. i could still sell it off. too bad haven't won any yet.

hope nikon takes a more open approach. a user of one brand now may be a user of another brand in the future.

Edward my man, the only differences is in marketing and which position your are in the market itself. See how example of Singtel(Market leader) consolidate its position and expand its market. How the Challengers(Starhub, M1) tries to lure users from Singtel's market and each other. Whether they would be successful utimately depends how good is the product, service and its marketing efforts.

Either way, we win. :D

edward1 said:

Canon's sponsored events are open to everyone. For example, The Car's the Star, Canon Photo Marathon, etc.

Morale of the story is get a Nikon too :devil: ;)

jeff49er said:
Morale of the story is get a Nikon too :devil: ;)
Not likely to win a lot of convert using this morale....... :bsmilie:

The last time I looked at an advertisement for an event sponsored by Canon in the local tabloids, participation was explicitly restricted to Canon users.

Status
Not open for further replies.