Why Nikon flashes wont work on Canon and vice versa ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
Why wouldnt Nikon flashes work on Canon ? Issit due to the different sizes of the hotshoe, or the pattern of the pins of the hotshoe ? Are all hotshoes universal ? They are dedicated because of ... ....... ? sorry, I'm in the process of growing up. =) .

most hotshoes are of universal mount, other than that of Minolta. However, the pin contact configurations are different for different systems, that's why you can't cross use dedicated TTL flashes. The biggest contact that lies in the middle is the one that sends the signal to trigger the flash. Other information for TTL are transmitted through the peripheral pins. Nikon flashes have different peripheral pin configuration from Canon's. Moreover, Nikon's uses 3D Matrix TTL while Canon uses E-TTL, the algorithm and implementation are quite different. That is why dedicated flashes cannot be cross-used over different systems.

However, most Nikon flashes come with automatic modes, so you can actually mount them on Canon cameras, and shoot via auto flash, without TTL capability. As long as the centre contact/pin coincide, the flash can be fired.

better dun try to use a nikon flash on a canon,my canon G1 short circuit after i connected it with my SB-28 via the sync cord :(
repair cost me $280 !

kex said:
better dun try to use a nikon flash on a canon,my canon G1 short circuit after i connected it with my SB-28 via the sync cord :(
repair cost me $280 !
wah lau.. :sweat:

ok thanx for the warning.. no way i will itchy fingers fit a canon flash to my nikon then!

Hmm, that shouldn't have happened. Perhaps the cord was faulty?

Maybe Nikon n Canon purposely make it such that their flashes will short the competitor's cameras. :D

ST1100 said:
Maybe Nikon n Canon purposely make it such that their flashes will short the competitor's cameras. :D

what a good explaination

kex said:
repair cost me $280 !

Some bad connection? The triggering voltage of the newer nikon flashes are not that high right?

once bitten,twice shy.
i would rather not fit a nikon flash onto a canon,my repair guy told me it may be the circuit board of the canon digital camera are more *delicate*

Of course not. Testing the flash on the sync cord is more like it.

Zerstorer said:
Some bad connection? The triggering voltage of the newer nikon flashes are not that high right?

Nikon flash gnerally have low trigger voltage of less than 6V within the specs for Canon as well.... probably because of the sync cable that cause some circults to short ;p

kex said:
repair cost me $280 !

I have used my G2 with my SB26 all the time and there are no problems with that combination.

It could be your sync cord that is causing the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.