Why need to under expose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems he used flash quite a bit.
Who knows... maybe the flash blows the shot badly, and so he chose to down EV?
(Just a wild guess, but I think he might have an external flash that does not allow him to tweak the power? So no choice but to down EV on the camera. When shooting in bright skies, it is also a technique to shoot metered at the background, and using the flash to fill in the subject in the foreground, thus getting super saturated and beautiful backgrounds, and also nicely exposed subjects)

This is speculative. Why not contact the author directly to get the absolute answer?

From the exif, no flash was fired right?

Most likely the reason is that it was a sunny day & any exposure more than that will overexpose the pic.

In any case, check out his settings. ISO200, Shutter 1/1600s, f4.6, EV -1, flash did not fire. In any normal circumstance with an fz10, it'll be severely underexposed. I stand corrected.

Sunny man... :cool:

Wow... :bigeyes:
The link got some of the best FZ series shots...
oops OT. :bsmilie:

obewan said:
Wow... :bigeyes:
The link got some of the best FZ series shots...
oops OT. :bsmilie:

I think so too... Sigh... I miss my fz20. :cry: Photography was not so cheem at that point of time... (or expensive)

digital cameras have narrow dynamic range like slides. for the same reason underexposure will retain details in the bright areas.you can adjust your curves later to brighter/darken so that you can see e details better. however, if you over exposure, the area will render all white and even if you adjust your curves, u get nothing cos thtere is nothing there in the first place.

Hi guys....

I think of all the explanation above, I have to say Ricky's is the most relevant one.

The FZ10 user did fire his flash... he is using force fire mode... Because he is in external manual mode, the Panasonic is too dumb to know if it is fired...

I did not look at the exif much and I have conclude how he took most of the shots.

You look at the nice blue skies behind the subject? Nice right? Then again how come the subject in the front can be correctly exposed?

The thing is, he actually meter the sky, since the sky is bright, the camera will adjust the setting to faster shutter speed so to retain the blue sky. Then to get the people infront correctly exposed, he fire a fill flash. Therefore, the reading in the exif shows the shot underexposed (not really, think I should say, correctly exposed for the sky...)

For such shot, if we meter at the people infront, you will blow the sky....
So, who says flash is only for night photography??

Cheers,
Francis Tan.

Aiyah....

Depends on which picture you use as example mah...:sticktong

If taking the one the thread starter used.
http://razorsharp.smugmug.com/gallery/587263/2/24915643

The flash wasn't fired and he metered the subjects. Nothing wrong with that.

If you use a example of a groupshot like this
http://razorsharp.smugmug.com/gallery/587263/2/24778154

He did use a fill flash like you said in your post. Also nothing wrong with that. :)

On a personal note, I like the idea of metering the sky and providing a fill flash... Very useful method. :thumbsup:

Thank you all....so many tips to learn from...;)

surge said:
digital cameras have narrow dynamic range like slides. for the same reason underexposure will retain details in the bright areas.you can adjust your curves later to brighter/darken so that you can see e details better. however, if you over exposure, the area will render all white and even if you adjust your curves, u get nothing cos thtere is nothing there in the first place.

What surge said + the FZ10 has a maximum shutter speed of 1/2000sec, so to maintain the relatively low depth of field to isolate the subject and maintain a high shutter speed to freeze motion...

Status
Not open for further replies.