Why Need High ISO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone , just my view as a newbie in tis hobby , since DSLR nowadays price is going down and model like the nokin D40 with no more than 1k , i wonder if one will wana start off tis as a hobby , why not get a Dslr and still bother with prosumer cam since the prices is abt there , for me i got got learn more with dslr , any coments guys ? :think:

Hello everyone , just my view as a newbie in tis hobby , since DSLR nowadays price is going down and model like the nokin D40 with no more than 1k , i wonder if one will wana start off tis as a hobby , why not get a Dslr and still bother with prosumer cam since the prices is abt there , for me i got got learn more with dslr , any coments guys ? :think:

Perhaps most people prefer the smaller prosumer cameras.

Sometimes I do wish that my DSLR was a little smaller and lighter :)

Bernard

In general, higher ISO is used to be able to take pictures in low light. The disadvantage is there will be more noise at higher ISO levels so some people prefer alternate light sources (flash) instead of high ISO where possible. Personally, I prefer not to use flash as much as possible so I use high ISO quite a lot.

hmmm does it mean if e.g my iso is increase to 800 and i increase my shutter... my quickest moment will be captured? :dunno:

a minor correction. you dun increase the shutter, you increase the aperture size (e.g. f/8 to f/4, 2 stop gain), along with ISO (e.g. ISO 200 to ISO 800, 2 stop gain), to capture your moment which is now 4 stop faster (e.g. 1/2 to 1/4 to 1/8 to 1/15 to 1/30, 4 stop gain).

note that the shutter duration is 4 stop faster, but not 4 times faster, becos the relationship is logarthmic, not linear.

I once heard from someone that when we shoot pictures in RAW format, the ISO noise is less as compared to JPEG. Can somebody please verify this?

This is my reply to one fellow clubsnapper, hope you(threadstarter) find it useful.

Most of the cameras by the big cam makers (canon, nikon, fuji, panasonic) can perform very very well in bright condition. Meaning, bright sunny day or places with a lot of lighting. So if u pick any of the latest camera by any of these major camera manufacturers, u can be rest assured of good pics under good lighting condition. Under these conditions, u can easily shoot at fast shutter speeds of around 1/500s or 1/1000s.

===============
Problem comes when you are shooting at night.
If shooting at night, u got to use a slower shutter speed. This means that instead of shooting at for example 1/500s (0.002 seconds), u got to shoot at 1 second or perhaps 2 to 3 seconds or even longer duration, depending on how dark the place is.

The reason why at night, a slower shutter speed is used is so that more light can reach the sensor to properly expose the photograph. Imagine u turn the tap, the water that run out from the tap for 3 seconds is more than the water that come out from the tap for 0.002 seconds rite?

===============
For us human beings, if u hold an object in ur hand and straighten out ur hand, u will notice that ur hands will vibrate right? This vibration will worsen the longer the object is held in ur hand rite? This is similar to using camera, the slower the shutter speed u used, this mean the longer the duration u are holding ur camera, and hence more shake is experienced.

The end result of this handshake is blur photographs that are taken at night. One solution to this is to use flash. But remember that flash has a limited range, about 3meters or so. And not all the time we can use flash because of place restrictions, shooting of animal eyes etc...

===============
Another solution is to have good ISO capability By good iso ability, it means that u can reduce the time taken to shoot a photograph. So instead of shooting at 2 or 3 seconds for the night shot, u can end up shooting at 0.5 seconds or 0.02 seconds. Shooting at this faster speed means ur handshake is lesser, and ur pic will be less blur, and of course better!
[i will skip the part on the exact manner in which iso improves shutter speed]

BUT, manipulating ISO comes with a negative attribute. If u tweak the ISO too high so that u can shoot at fast shutter speed, the picture may be noisy. (the pic has a lot of grains)

===============
You compare the pics at this 2 sites http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...zoom/page6.asp & http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...zoom/page8.asp
Can u see the difference? The pics in the 2nd link uses high ISO to shoot at fast shutter speed, although it helps to reduce handshake, but picture quality is compromised.

Hi, I hope to get my first DSLR next week, considering the D40, K100D and E500. After reading so much, still difficult to decide...anyway my purpose for this thread is to ask:

Why or when do we need to take pictures at high ISO?
One of the main disadvantages of high ISO is the noise, which can be irritating to get rid of during the DI stage.

However, high ISO has saved me many times, especially when I'm traveling. Specifically if you go to certain religious places (e.g., indoors) and they do not allow flash photography and you don't have a tripod with you.

Just my two cents worth. :)

I once heard from someone that when we shoot pictures in RAW format, the ISO noise is less as compared to JPEG. Can somebody please verify this?
Depends on how you post process the images.

This is my reply to one fellow clubsnapper, hope you(threadstarter) find it useful.

Most of the cameras by the big cam makers (canon, nikon, fuji, panasonic) can perform very very well in bright condition. Meaning, bright sunny day or places with a lot of lighting. So if u pick any of the latest camera by any of these major camera manufacturers, u can be rest assured of good pics under good lighting condition. Under these conditions, u can easily shoot at fast shutter speeds of around 1/500s or 1/1000s.

===============
Problem comes when you are shooting at night.
If shooting at night, u got to use a slower shutter speed. This means that instead of shooting at for example 1/500s (0.002 seconds), u got to shoot at 1 second or perhaps 2 to 3 seconds or even longer duration, depending on how dark the place is.

The reason why at night, a slower shutter speed is used is so that more light can reach the sensor to properly expose the photograph. Imagine u turn the tap, the water that run out from the tap for 3 seconds is more than the water that come out from the tap for 0.002 seconds rite?

===============
For us human beings, if u hold an object in ur hand and straighten out ur hand, u will notice that ur hands will vibrate right? This vibration will worsen the longer the object is held in ur hand rite? This is similar to using camera, the slower the shutter speed u used, this mean the longer the duration u are holding ur camera, and hence more shake is experienced.

The end result of this handshake is blur photographs that are taken at night. One solution to this is to use flash. But remember that flash has a limited range, about 3meters or so. And not all the time we can use flash because of place restrictions, shooting of animal eyes etc...

===============
Another solution is to have good ISO capability By good iso ability, it means that u can reduce the time taken to shoot a photograph. So instead of shooting at 2 or 3 seconds for the night shot, u can end up shooting at 0.5 seconds or 0.02 seconds. Shooting at this faster speed means ur handshake is lesser, and ur pic will be less blur, and of course better!
[i will skip the part on the exact manner in which iso improves shutter speed]

BUT, manipulating ISO comes with a negative attribute. If u tweak the ISO too high so that u can shoot at fast shutter speed, the picture may be noisy. (the pic has a lot of grains)

===============
You compare the pics at this 2 sites http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...zoom/page6.asp & http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...zoom/page8.asp
Can u see the difference? The pics in the 2nd link uses high ISO to shoot at fast shutter speed, although it helps to reduce handshake, but picture quality is compromised.

very well said with complete info (including the links)

I think it is the OTHER way round. Most jpegs undergo some form of noise reduction in camera so there is less noise, but less details too.

When I shoot raw, usually I develop the photo with noise reduction TURNED off. Then I get a noisy but detailed jpeg. Then I run it through neatimage which does a MUCH better job in noise reduction (preserving the details at the same time) than the in-camera NR.

Hi Fumiryu,

isisaxon is correct.

Cameras record your image in RAW format.

If you choose to shoot in RAW, you have to do RAW to JPEG conversion yourself on the computer. However, this gives you latitude in controlling how you want to do the conversion.

If you choose to shoot in JPEG, the camera will do the RAW to JPEG conversion for you. You are effectively letting the camera's conversion program decide the "best" form of conversion for you. It's OK if your camera has a good programme, and if you're not too fussy about the outcome of the picture. Shooting in JPEG saves memory space and cuts down on writing time. Please note that you will have less latitude to alter JPEG pictures vs RAW.

Think of RAW files as your negatives (in film days). You can choose to send them to another lab for printing if you're not satisfied with the 1st lab you used.

Think of JPEG as prints. You can still alter the final prints, but your options are limited. Plus, any altering may lead to degradation of the image.

You will have to decide whether RAW or JPEG works best for your photography requirements.

Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.